The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Ha ha , the clue was a bit easy and I think I knew @bennyboy was an Americana fan like myself.Great choice
I’ll try not to guess yours with my big nose.
Changed my mind at the last minute.
Wanted to get back to a rock lp after the last month of picks (Which i enjoyed) so picked this one in the hope that there will be quite a few not familiar with it.

Wanted to get back to a rock lp after the last month of picks (Which i enjoyed) so picked this one in the hope that there will be quite a few not familiar with it.
Have heard the odd recent track of theirs on the sample CDs that come with uncut. Presumably this is a much older one, looking forward to getting stuck into it

Might as well post it now that the cat's out of the bag - well done to @Mancitydoogle for guessing correctly.

Here's what @bennyboy has to say about his nomination......

View attachment 31733

Changed my mind.I was wanting to get back to a rock record after all the latest picks.

Southern Rock Opera by The Drive By Truckers.
Released 2001.
A brilliant double lp of songs growing up in the South. two-CD fictionalization of the Lynyrd Skynyrd story.

A young man grows up in Alabama during the 1970s and struggles with its social and political realities and questions what it means to be from the South.
Great story telling in all the tracks and interesting to hear different opinions about the race issues in the South.
I will just let you's listen to the story telling and see what you's think.
Great sounding album but if you get a chance to see them live,take it.Brilliant live band..

Patterson Hood.... Vocals and Guitar.
Mike Cooley......... Vocals and Guitar
Rob Malone...........Vocals and Guitar.
Earl Hicks ......Base.
Brad Morgan....Drums

Disc one: Act one: Betamax Guillotine[edit]​

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Days of Graduation"Hood2:36
2."Ronnie and Neil"Hood4:52
3."72 (This Highway's Mean)"Cooley5:26
4."Dead, Drunk, and Naked"Hood4:51
5."Guitar Man Upstairs"Cooley3:17
6."Birmingham"Hood5:03
7."The Southern Thing"Hood5:08
8."The Three Great Alabama Icons"Hood6:51
9."Wallace"Hood3:27
10."Zip City"Cooley5:16
11."Moved"Malone4:17

Disc two: Act two[edit]​

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Let There Be Rock"Hood4:19
2."Road Cases"Hood2:42
3."Women Without Whiskey"Cooley4:19
4."Plastic Flowers on the Highway"Hood5:04
5."Cassie's Brother"Malone4:58
6."Life in the Factory"Hood5:28
7."Shut Up and Get on the Plane"Cooley3:38
8."Greenville to Baton Rouge"Hood4:11
9."Angels and Fuselage"Hood8:00

Oh - my - word, what an unexpected choice and delight.

I will play it again but I don't need to: 9/10

DBT are the finest Southern Rock band to emerge since the genre's hey day - rivalled only by Blackberry Smoke.

This record is one of the great Southern Rock albums and one of the great concept albums.

"Let There Be Rock" is somewhere in my top 100 songs and takes me back to being a teenage rock fan in the 70's; at least in spirit: I don't have the experience of growing up in the (Southern) USA.

As a huge Skynyrd fan, "Angels and Fuselage" always has me on the verge of tears.

"Ronnie & Neil" is another of my favourite songs on the album. An album that I played a lot when it was released.

Glad you did mate, DBT are a big fave of mine.Saw them live at the Ritz a few years ago

Reactions: OB1
Might as well post it now that the cat's out of the bag - well done to @Mancitydoogle for guessing correctly.

Here's what @bennyboy has to say about his nomination......

View attachment 31733

Changed my mind.I was wanting to get back to a rock record after all the latest picks.

Southern Rock Opera by The Drive By Truckers.
Released 2001.
A brilliant double lp of songs growing up in the South. two-CD fictionalization of the Lynyrd Skynyrd story.

A young man grows up in Alabama during the 1970s and struggles with its social and political realities and questions what it means to be from the South.
Great story telling in all the tracks and interesting to hear different opinions about the race issues in the South.
I will just let you's listen to the story telling and see what you's think.
Great sounding album but if you get a chance to see them live,take it.Brilliant live band..

Patterson Hood.... Vocals and Guitar.
Mike Cooley......... Vocals and Guitar
Rob Malone...........Vocals and Guitar.
Earl Hicks ......Base.
Brad Morgan....Drums

Disc one: Act one: Betamax Guillotine[edit]​

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Days of Graduation"Hood2:36
2."Ronnie and Neil"Hood4:52
3."72 (This Highway's Mean)"Cooley5:26
4."Dead, Drunk, and Naked"Hood4:51
5."Guitar Man Upstairs"Cooley3:17
6."Birmingham"Hood5:03
7."The Southern Thing"Hood5:08
8."The Three Great Alabama Icons"Hood6:51
9."Wallace"Hood3:27
10."Zip City"Cooley5:16
11."Moved"Malone4:17

Disc two: Act two[edit]​

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Let There Be Rock"Hood4:19
2."Road Cases"Hood2:42
3."Women Without Whiskey"Cooley4:19
4."Plastic Flowers on the Highway"Hood5:04
5."Cassie's Brother"Malone4:58
6."Life in the Factory"Hood5:28
7."Shut Up and Get on the Plane"Cooley3:38
8."Greenville to Baton Rouge"Hood4:11
9."Angels and Fuselage"Hood8:00
Never heard of them or it but I'll give it a good listen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.