The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I apologize in advance. This record moved me -- a lot -- and I’m going to write and write and write.

Alabama. I’ve been there a lot, personally and on business. My college roommate and best buddy Gary is from Huntsville; my good friend Michael the City fan is from Mobile. I have clients in Birmingham and Montgomery, and I’ve even been in Eufuala for work.

In short, Alabama isn’t a foreign land to me.

And that helps me a lot in getting a deeper understanding of Southern Rock Opera because THIS is the kind of record I’ve been patiently awaiting in this thread.

I wanted music I’ve never heard, even though I’ve heard OF this band often. I couldn’t pinpoint a tune nor even describe a style (though I guessed), other than the name was kinda cool (which is why I guessed right).

So this is a perfect choice for me -- it's music I’m simply too old and busy to encounter today or go looking to find. To me this is new, even though its 21 fucking years old.

It also helps that I utterly love Lynyrd Skynyrd. The airplane crash happened just as I was getting into music -- it might be the first “music” tragedy I really felt, and felt the most, until John Lennon died. I can’t find a CD nor Spotify re-release of Gold and Platinum, their greatest hits record that I wore the grooves out of in high school.

But it’s okay, cuz we have Drive-By Truckers, and they’re harder, and darker. Not better per se, but 1) I don’t think they think they are, 2) I don’t think they are trying to be, and 3) it doesn’t matter.

On a double record, not to mention a concept record, there’s a lot to parse. But there are plenty of highs. The monster blowout chords on “Ronnie and Neil”. That little Tom Petty nod on “Dead, Drunk and Naked”. “Birmingham”, the song that aims to resolve the “feud” between Skynyrd and Neil Young over “Alabama” (I just loved this idea conceptually), even though it’s semi-specifically addressed later. The feedback stretched like razor wire over “The Southern Thing” as it eviscerates northern/western stereotypes of Dixie. The turns of phrase in “Zip City”. And this is just the first “disc”.

I get the complaints about sameness, and overselling the theme, though I’m okay with that, because the tunes are right and the theme is so interesting. Sure, there are weak moments as befits most (all?) double-concept-opera records. I wasn’t a big fan of “Moved” — it doesn’t fit tonally IMO, and slow and echoey isn’t my thing. But then we get the genius LS rip on “Road Cases”, and maybe the best song on the record in “Life In The Factory”, which could be Springsteen (or Mellencamp even) with the guitars turned up to 11.

But now . . . the dread begins to build, because you know -- we all know -- how this ends.

“Shut Your Mouth And Get Your Ass on the Plane” cruises along in that hurried, loud, conventional southern boogie way that underlies that those in the band, and all of us, thought everything was just fine. Just normal. Just another trip to just another show . . .

And then . . . from “Greenville to Baton Rouge” . . . something goes wrong.

Every guitar is screaming “no no no”.

And the last moments, like “Angels And Fuselage”, feel like an eternity. Memories, fear, life flashing before the eyes, angels, trees . . . quiet, sad, dissonant, beautiful . . . and they're gone.

How can you not weep?

“Message”-wise, or just lyrically, unlike some of the other stuff we’ve had here to which I’ve had some strenuous objection, this record has something to say -- I mean, literally. Patterson Hood just SAYS it. He sings it, but he also SAYS it, in the tragic opener, and with the pointed comments in “Three Great Alabama Icons.” In that regard, I’m reminded a bit of D Boon of The Minutemen -- another great musician lost way to soon, like Ronnie, who concentrated on exploring his roots (in San Pedro, CA in D’s case).

Remember what I noted about stereotypes of Dixie? Both Gary and Michael are lawyers, and as left wing as can be. Gary actually did pro bono work for prisoners in Guantanamo. Even in what people perceive as the back woods, there are forward people.

Like the Drive-By Truckers.

This is a moving and magnificent accomplishment, a wonderful tribute, but a great listen in its own right. I worry a lot about the South rising again over here, but in these guys’ case we’ll make an exception.

Southern Rock Opera is a stupendous record. 9/10, and in just two listens, entering my top 100 of all time. A hundred thanks to @bennyboy for selecting it.
Not listened to it yet. Certainly will now though on the back of that masterful review. 10/10 (for the review). Kudos mate.

I apologize in advance. This record moved me -- a lot -- and I’m going to write and write and write.

Alabama. I’ve been there a lot, personally and on business. My college roommate and best buddy Gary is from Huntsville; my good friend Michael the City fan is from Mobile. I have clients in Birmingham and Montgomery, and I’ve even been in Eufuala for work.

And that helps me a lot in getting a deeper understanding of Southern Rock Opera because THIS is the kind of record I’ve been patiently awaiting in this thread.

I wanted music I’ve never heard, even though I’ve heard OF this band often. I couldn’t pinpoint a tune nor even describe a style (though I guessed), other than the name was kinda cool (which is why I guessed right).

So this is a perfect choice for me -- it's music I’m simply too old and busy to encounter today or go looking to find. To me this is new, even though its 21 fucking years old.

It also helps that I utterly love Lynyrd Skynyrd. The airplane crash happened just as I was getting into music -- it might be the first “music” tragedy I really felt, and felt the most, until John Lennon died. I can’t find a CD nor Spotify re-release of Gold and Platinum, their greatest hits record that I wore the grooves out of in high school.

But it’s okay, cuz we have Drive-By Truckers, and they’re harder, and darker. Not better per se, but 1) I don’t think they think they are, 2) I don’t think they are trying to be, and 3) it doesn’t matter.

On a double record, not to mention a concept record, there’s a lot to parse. But there are plenty of highs. The monster blowout chords on “Ronnie and Neil”. That little Tom Petty nod on “Dead, Drunk and Naked”. “Birmingham”, the song that aims to resolve the “feud” between Skynyrd and Neil Young over “Alabama” (I just loved this idea conceptually), even though it’s semi-specifically addressed later. The feedback stretched like razor wire over “The Southern Thing” as it eviscerates northern/western stereotypes of Dixie. The turns of phrase in “Zip City”. And this is just the first “disc”.

I get the complaints about sameness, and overselling the theme, though I’m okay with that, because the tunes are right and the theme is so interesting. Sure, there are weak moments as befits most (all?) double-concept-opera records. I wasn’t a big fan of “Moved” — it doesn’t fit tonally IMO, and slow and echoey isn’t my thing. But then we get the genius LS rip on “Road Cases”, and maybe the best song on the record in “Life In The Factory”, which could be Springsteen (or Mellencamp even) with the guitars turned up to 11.

But now . . . the dread begins to build, because you know -- we all know -- how this ends.

“Shut Your Mouth And Get Your Ass on the Plane” cruises along in that hurried, loud, conventional southern boogie way that underlies that those in the band, and all of us, thought everything was just fine. Just normal. Just another trip to just another show . . .

And the last moments, like “Angels And Fuselage”, feel like an eternity. Memories, fear, life flashing before the eyes, angels, trees . . . quiet, sad, dissonant, beautiful . . . and they're gone.

How can you not weep?

“Message”-wise, or just lyrically, unlike some of the other stuff we’ve had here to which I’ve had some strenuous objection, this record has something to say -- I mean, literally. Patterson Hood just SAYS it. He sings it, but he also SAYS it, in the tragic opener, and with the pointed comments in “Three Great Alabama Icons.” In that regard, I’m reminded a bit of D Boon of The Minutemen -- another great musician lost way to soon, like Ronnie, who concentrated on exploring his roots (in San Pedro, CA in D’s case).

Remember what I noted about stereotypes of Dixie? Both Gary and Michael are lawyers, and as left wing as can be. Gary actually did pro bono work for prisoners in Guantanamo. Even in what people perceive as the back woods, there are forward people.

This is a moving and magnificent accomplishment, a wonderful tribute, but a great listen in its own right. I worry a lot about the South rising again over here, but in these guys’ case we’ll make an exception.

Southern Rock Opera is a stupendous record. 9/10, and in just two listens, entering my top 100 of all time. A hundred thanks to @bennyboy for selecting it.
Nice words.

Glad you liked it.

Patterson Hood is brilliant.

DBT have made lots of albums so you can have fun getting to know them.

Last edited:
I've not had much time to post recently, but I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who took the time to listen to Planetary Unfolding!

I knew it would be some mixed reviews due to it's style, but I think it did ok considering it was a bit of an unusual choice.

Right, onto the Drive-by Truckers! :)

I listened to this today in work and on the whole, quite enjoyed it.

I loved the opening track as it reminded me of something Beck would do. I was hoping that the rest of it would be in a similar vein and in some ways, this track was different to the rest. It has a definite Americana vibe which I like and as I said about The Band, I think this album would be better to listen to in summer when it's warm and feels more like Arkansas than Alaska! :)

I did like the rest of the album though with some decent tracks on there. I think I'd prefer this if it was a single album - I found that over two albums it was a bit samey for me.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. I don't think I'd play the full album again, but I've have taken a few songs for a playlist.

6/10

I've not had much time to post recently, but I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who took the time to listen to Planetary Unfolding!

I knew it would be some mixed reviews due to it's style, but I think it did ok considering it was a bit of an unusual choice.

Right, onto the Drive-by Truckers! :)
I loved Planetary Unfolding, but I only had time to do that silly review. I've listened to it a couple of times since -- once while actually in my hot tub (yes, as per the location in my profile!) and once while trying to fall asleep after a stressful day Sunday. Really relaxing stuff.

Between it and the DBTs we are finishing the year STRONG!

I listened to this today in work and on the whole, quite enjoyed it.

I loved the opening track as it reminded me of something Beck would do. I was hoping that the rest of it would be in a similar vein and in some ways, this track was different to the rest. It has a definite Americana vibe which I like and as I said about The Band, I think this album would be better to listen to in summer when it's warm and feels more like Arkansas than Alaska! :)

I did like the rest of the album though with some decent tracks on there. I think I'd prefer this if it was a single album - I found that over two albums it was a bit samey for me.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. I don't think I'd play the full album again, but I've have taken a few songs for a playlist.

6/10
It's interesting because, very much like Quadrophenia, I think I'm only playing this when I can listen to the whole thing. It's a unified record that tells a story that I'd feel almost strange breaking apart, as much as I liked many individual songs.

How can you not weep?

Wonderful writing as usual Foggy..........

Listened to this...wtf ? !!!
I'm a sophisticated music snob, I like Prog (especially symphonic), I like Jazz, I dig things I can only dream of being able to play, I hate red neck, beer swillin' headbangin' 4 chord shite :)
Americana hillbilly music, Fuck off haha !!

3/10
Perhaps a bit harsher than I would have put but it wasn't for me either. 4/10.

One man's meat and all that... I wouldn't say this particular meat is murder but it's far from being my roast of choice (yes I know it's pretty poor use of metaphors or whatever it is). Have listened to this a couple of times, once at home and once in the car. Bit's of it I thought were very OK and that isn't meant to damn with faint praise. It's a bit of a doozy to say really but The Three Great Alabama Icons I liked a lot and there were other tracks that were attention grabbing. Not enough of them though...

I'm also a fan of concept albums, nothing wrong with a rock group wanting to tell a story but I don't think I got enough of a flavour of this one although I was intrigued by the frequent references to Neil Young and Leonard Skennard (I think that's who they were referring to). I may have read too much into it but there was a section early on that reminded me very much of the guitar interplay on Everyone Knows this is Nowhere (the album).

Ultimately there weren't enough of the good bits to sustain me and some of it I found a bit dull, maybe some of those songs were a pastiche of the era rather than standalone. Probably overthinking it again.

Doubt whether any of it's going to make my playlists, it's a 5 from me.

Quick edit, Loved Fog's review, although this wasn't for me it is nice to see it resonate so much with someone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.