The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I’d like to thank Rob for what has been an excellent thread.It’s apparent that all the contributors have a good and varied knowledge of music which not only comes
acRoss in the nominations but also the reviews.I like the way it has taken me out of my comfort zone and encouragEd me to listen to albums by artists I wouldn’t normally or in some cases have never heard of.
I look forward to round 2 in furthering my musical education.
I echo that and would add that not only has it made me listen to bands and music I never heard before, but it has also got me listening to albums in their entirety again, in general.

Because of the ease of the likes of Spotify and Deezer etc to pick n mix and shuffle I have for years being playing playlists Ive put together and generally shuffling the order.

I’m back to playing albums in the order they were meant to be in and giving them a chance. Even the tracks that don’t first grab you, sometimes grow on you especially if they are placed correctly by the artist in the context of the album as a whole.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway for me, that’s largely down to this forum and this thread in particular.

Paradise in the Picturehouse by The Stunning.

really enjoyed this - lighter than expected but some really nice songs throughout.
Opener ‘brewing up a storm’ is easily the most catchable song to get straight away, easy crowd pleaser, same goes for ‘Romeos on Fire’
Enjoyed ‘Happy Girl’ and ‘Half Past Two’
slower songs ‘Delicate Web’, ‘Town For Sale’ and my favourite on here ‘An Empty Feeling’

that’s a lot of tracks that stand out, and whilst I agree with Fog that it does lack a crunch and has its lull moments - that still doesn’t diminish what is a great album.

Great pick.

8/10

I echo that and would add that not only has it made me listen to bands and music I never heard before, but it has also got me listening to albums in their entirety again, in general.

Because of the ease of the likes of Spotify and Deezer etc to pick n mix and shuffle I have for years being playing playlists Ive put together and generally shuffling the order.

I’m back to playing albums in the order they were meant to be in and giving them a chance. Even the tracks that don’t first grab you, sometimes grow on you especially if they are placed correctly by the artist in the context of the album as a whole.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway for me, that’s largely down to this forum and this thread in particular.
Funnily enough, despite Spotify being an excellent way to build playlists, I almost always listen to full albums on there. The only time I use playlists heavily is on holiday, but that's usually built from my own MP3 collection.

That's week #15 in the bag. Paradise in the Picturehouse by The Stunning pulled in 11 voters at an average of 6.64. Whilst that's 9th on the leaderboard, it's a mere 0.24 points off third place in that very congested middle of the board.

Great choice @mancity2012_eamo , I think a lot of people enjoyed that and for most of us, it was our first listen to The Stunning.

And with that, round #1 is done, which means it's your truly back on the oche. I'll be back soon with some clues.

Thanks to all that voted and more importantly gave it s as listen and an honest appraisal.
I must admit it went down mainly positively which surprised me although I don’t know why.
For those that are genuinely interested in it, or The Stunning, their second album also went to no. 1 here. It was called ‘Once Around The World’ and sold over 120,000 copies here alone but is now out of print and the band don’t own the master copies.
They got around this years later by going to a studio in Westmeath and in two sessions re-recording the album and adding new material and putting out the album themselves, called ‘Twice Around The World’.
It’s very good but very different to the first album. A lot less emphasis on the brass or traditional instruments. A real nod to several different genres, not least glam rock, which I never particularly liked, but love their version of it.

Anyway I’ll sign out and again say thanks for listening and looking forward to Rob’s pick.

If anyone wants to discuss The Stunning albums or indeed The Walls which is an even further progression for them that I love, PM me. I’ll be glad to discuss.

OK, here's your clues. I exchanged Top 15 lists with a couple of members so that gives them a head start and they may well get this pretty quickly as a result. If so, feel free to tell me you know it, but give the others a chance to guess.
  1. I'd be surprised if many people have listened to this album.
  2. At the same time, I'd be surprised if anybody hadn't heard of the band.
  3. They are a big name in their neck of the woods
  4. The producer of this album also worked with The Jam, XTC, Kate Bush, PiL and Gang of Four
  5. Political reasons stopped them releasing a full album for 20 years
  6. The album cover is inspired by Mexican cave paintings (I think I read that somewhere but can't seem to confirm via Google).

OK, here's your clues. I exchanged Top 15 lists with a couple of members so that gives them a head start and they may well get this pretty quickly as a result. If so, feel free to tell me you know it, but give the others a chance to guess.
  1. I'd be surprised if many people have listened to this album.
  2. At the same time, I'd be surprised if anybody hadn't heard of the band.
  3. They are a big name in their neck of the woods
  4. The producer of this album also worked with The Jam, XTC, Kate Bush, PiL and Gang of Four
  5. Political reasons stopped them releasing a full album for 20 years
  6. The album cover is inspired by Mexican cave paintings (I think I read that somewhere but can't seem to confirm via Google).
Midnight Oil — Earth And Sun And Moon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.