The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I lay in the garden today and put this on as that's the only time I had to listen to the album this week. It felt like it was 30 degrees and roasting warm. I was hoping for something maybe a bit laid back and mellow, or spritely and summery but unfortunately I didn't get that. Remember how I've said in the past that there's some records that I listen to in summer but not in winter, and vice versa? I think this record is a victim of that. I think if I'd listened to this on a rainy day, it might have got a better score.

The album as a whole wasn't too bad and some of the songs reminded me of the Inspiral Carpets, but I wasn't keen on the singers voice. I thought the songs on the whole were decent though and my favourites were Mediation, Don't Sell Your Mind and Addicted To The Day. After that, it kind of felt a bit samey to me. To be fair, there was a fair bit of variety in the songs, but I think the "sameness" came from his voice.

Overall, I feel a bit 'mean' on this as I needed some music to go with a hot summers day, but I got something which reminded me of a cold, wet Sunday in Salford to some extent! To be fair, I liked the 3 songs I named, but the rest of it didn't do much for me. I've taken them for a playlist but I don't think I'd come back to this album in future. It's certainly not bad, not by any means, but just not my taste and as I said suffered from the weather! :)

5/10.

The Magical Record of Blue Orchids

This was a strange listen. The basic elements are good – I generally like rock music that combines Hammond organ and guitar, and there’s certainly plenty of organ running through the songs here. It’s not surprising that most of the songs originate from 1966-68 because they sound like they belong alongside other music from that era.

The Hammond evokes images of Ray Manzarek powering some of The Doors best moments, and there’s even one track where it sounded like Robby Krieger was adding his signature Doors’ guitar.

But I’ve listened three times now and I just can’t get into it. At best the songs sound like a more structured approach to jamming, but there’s nothing that I feel like I want to listen to again. The vocalist is, shall we say, limited. Thankfully he doesn’t suffer from the traditional British indie whine, but neither does he stretch himself and it all falls a bit flat when it feels like you are listening to the same song being played over and over.

I’m not really keen on covers versions, but given that I’m not familiar with the originals, it hardly mattered in this case. So whilst I like the basics, it could have done with a bit more song building – middles 8s and choruses (but I guess that’s a problem when you are taking somebody else’s songs!) 6/10, but mainly for the Hammond.

It was OK.

At times it reminded me a bit of Lou Reed and others the Blue Oyster Cult. The Doors, as Rob mentioned also come through a bit. Source material obviously an influence here.

Vocalist not great. Guitar pitch a tad whiney at times.

5/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.