The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Bit harsh that OB, The Who and the Kinks are two of the greatest bands of all time(and not just British) to compare the Jam with them two colossals isn't fair in my book. I know Weller was massively influenced by both of these bands and took quite a lot from them both( So much Kinks influence on this album especially) The thing is, Kinks,Who,Beatles etc inspired most bands that followed them, I just think the Jam were brilliant at making their own sound whilst nickin bits of this and that along the way. For me, they were the best British band in that late 70s early 80s era. This album is dynamite! There isn't a weak track. I personally love In the crowd, yes, Weller ripped a massive rift from Johnny Thunder by the Kinks but he did it in style. Mr Clean is Weller at his angriest best and to finish the album on A bomb on Wardour St is to finish in style. A truly majestic album which along with Setting Sons, is in my top 10. The only minor gripe I have with it is David Watts. Now for me,this version is possibly even better than the original(more edgy/angry) but I wish he'd of written one himself instead of(possibly) using a filler..just like Heatwave on Setting sons. Don't come much better in my eyes. 9.5/10.

I don’t think it is harsh, if you take inspiration from other bands, it is inevitable that you will get compared to them.

It should be fairly obvious that I would never class the Jam the best British band of any era; any further comment from me though will derail the thread.

I don’t think it is harsh, if you take inspiration from other bands, it is inevitable that you will get compared to them.

It should be fairly obvious that I would never class the Jam the best British band of any era; any further comment from me though will derail the thread.
I think you've misinterpreted what I was saying OB. I meant it's harsh to compare the Jam to The who/kinks/Beatles/Stone etc because they're basically the greatest bands of all time. But maybe I misinterpreted your post pal.

It's a bugger updating the ever-lengthening table every week.

Joking aside, what are peoples feelings on this? Should we drop the scoring after this round?
We should change nothing. The scoring forces you to take a stand!

I mean it’s not too hard to get a good score — just pick a very popular record that everyone knows and most like. I am indifferent to whether someone does that or picks something new and/or obscure I don’t know.

They’re both fun.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.