The Album Review Club - Week #138 - (page 1790) - 1956 - Soul-Junk

Very nice write-up, I'll parse out the items I'm able to talk to/lament....
You might like Jars of Clay by Jars of Clay if you're a fan of REM.
I most certainly do! Great band and initial album shout out.
The best thing about Napster was when you found a user with a song you like you could just randomly download other songs from them and discover new stuff. If you're a fan of user "combatchuck1267" and Limp Bizkit then you'll also like Chump by .Rod Laver. Fun fact: it's actually spelt .Rod Laver and that's not a typo. Also not on Spotify. On some Napster raid I had found someone who had a bunch of albums in common so just randomly selected some stuff they had that I didn't. Three days later when a couple of songs had downloaded I clicked on one enigmatically named "Track 4.mp3" and my life was changed for ever. After spending nearly a decade consuming music based on who else it sounded like i finally heard something that sounded unapologetically like itself.
I had the same fun on mIRC. I still have some of those impressive playlists of mp3s. Those were some fun days indeed! It's finally how I got the resolve to check out an R band after years of CD club magazines with weird album covers. ;-)

If you're a fan of authenticity that results in music that is unapologetically itself and not the posturing authenticity that is more concerned with appearing cool then you'll be indifferent to 1956 by Soul-Junk
Geez, I indeed had them in my sights, but once I saw this list of yearly albums and a note of "experimental genre-hopping Christian rock" (strike 1) from San Diego (strike 2), I dismissed them with just albums full of years (strike 3) while on the hunt. Soooo close, but no Princess Grace, and thankfully, before my time to connect the dots on the album clue! Well done.

1726080615960.png

It was as you described, a bit of a ramble.
I’m still unclear as to whether you reviewed the album yet, or not.
I didn't. Incoherent rambling is reflective of myself and the album though

There is a big Jesus shaped elephant in the room I wasn't sure how to address as I didn't want to unfairly prejudge peoples response to it or to even assume people would respond to that at all.

Initial drafts of the review contained apologies for the album or defences of me picking it. I felt like I was making some unfair assumptions of what I thought might challenge people. Even assuming it might challenge people felt unfair. So I took the approach it was best to ignore it and let people respond to it rather than respond to the assumptions I'd made in the review.

I didn't. Incoherent rambling is reflective of myself and the album though

There is a big Jesus shaped elephant in the room I wasn't sure how to address as I didn't want to unfairly prejudge peoples response to it or to even assume people would respond to that at all.

Initial drafts of the review contained apologies for the album or defences of me picking it. I felt like I was making some unfair assumptions of what I thought might challenge people. Even assuming it might challenge people felt unfair. So I took the approach it was best to ignore it and let people respond to it rather than respond to the assumptions I'd made in the review.
Fair ‘nuff!
As valid an approach as any I suppose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.