The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Every subsequent pick will be more vanilla.

No! this review club needs a big mix, i made the point that this may be the first Hip Hop album we've had! a genre i don't like but which i'd be keen to hear more to appreciate, same for alot of genres we've yet to have. Ok, they will get low scores on the whole, but who cares, variety is the spice of life.

I think this is probably the toughest thing to like that I like so I came in hot with this one. People have definitely put in the effort which Im thankful for. Every subsequent pick will be more vanilla.
Make it something you love, just like this one. There haven't been any that I've regretted listening to on this forum, and like I said in my review, I'm better for having heard this too.

I'm not too surprised where this selection has gone, and I am going to further go on record that I think there are only a handful of listeners that really got to the lyrics too. Parts of it came through loud and clear, other parts suffered from the beats/music/vocals and the parts that were trying to be cleverly silly.

There is a big album missing off the list on the first page. I'm not sure if it's too obvious to have been picked or if I'm just over rating it but I may just nominate that to get it on the list.
My goodness, there's LOTS not yet listed, so do make it something you love as has meaning to you as I said prior. Don't make it vanilla. The ones I've enjoyed are the ones I've not yet heard, or maybe a song or two prior. Those have been well worth the different perspective.

With the clock ticking down to "score time" I'm afraid I shall have to "dip" out of this one (see what I did there?) as I have only managed one full listen whilst at work tonight and so haven't been able to give it the time it deserves.
So I wont sully the overall score without putting in the time.
I don't mind a bit of rap and was tempted to go for one on my last pick but was swayed away from it due to the amount of N bombs dropped.
That said I'm not sure that even with 3 listens it would have bettered my scores for PJ/RH...and personally from a rap/spoken word angle I would prefer The Streets.

No! this review club needs a big mix, i made the point that this may be the first Hip Hop album we've had! a genre i don't like but which i'd be keen to hear more to appreciate, same for alot of genres we've yet to have. Ok, they will get low scores on the whole, but who cares, variety is the spice of life.
The Streets? RATM?

Ok, I got through my second listen.
I have to say it disappointed after a quite encouraging start.
Where to start.
There is definitely promise there, but it never gets beyond sounding like a demo tape with a jumble of ideas thrown in, not an actual album of any cohesion.
I liked song 2, the iluminati one, but I rapidly grew irritated with the guys voice after that. I wasn’t sure why as I was kind of thinking with better production, his voice could be brought to the fore like Beck and made far more interesting on several tracks.
I found it very samey for most of the ‘album?’, but there were highlights, although too few and far between. I think it was around song 7 & 8 or so, that I got some sort of interest back.
There was one featuring some dj 3rd Rail or some such, that I thought could have something, but it struck me what I really don’t like about this amateurish production. It’s the singers doubletracking of his voice. It’s very irritating listening to it on every song like that. It makes it very unclear.

Then I suppose you have to address the subject matter. The little I could make out, didn’t real hold any interest for me. I don really want to be preached to and to be honest, I think this rap style comes across as totally put on and not suited to the genre at all. That may well be my own bias, but I just didn’t get it at all.

All of that sounds very negative and tbh again, I’m struggling this week, to find the time on my own to listen to this. I’ve gone from being quite enthusiastically looking forward to my second listen, to really wondering if a third listen is on the cards at all.

My current thinking is a 4 for effort and individuality which is very much let down by production and what seems to be a lack of a coherent idea of where it wants to go. It’s a demo tape.
I’ll give it an extra mark however again for bravery of choice from Mr.B.

I’ll try my best to get a third listen in.
Is that a 4, 5 or score yet to come? It's not clear to me.

There is a big album missing off the list on the first page. I'm not sure if it's too obvious to have been picked or if I'm just over rating it but I may just nominate that to get it on the list.
Just the one? We've only had 138 albums, so I'd be surprised if there weren't two or three or even more BIG albums missing :)

Well, I'm not feeling particularly conventiontastic today, and it is not a conventional album, and I also think the score hardly matters here, so, I'm flipping it.

So those days when you DO actually feel conventiontastic ? How does this manifest? I was going to ask if extreme conformism involves reading all of the manual when you open the box but (a) you only get a quick start picture and a URL these days and (b) no one reads manuals these days so it's actually quite errant behaviour. Maybe being extra deferential to people with a fancier accent than you, that's a conventional British thing, but I rather doubt that's your bag.

I agree about the persistence thing there's all sorts of music you miss out on if you just chuck it after one go. Sometimes this thread has the attention span of a bunch of tik tokers :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.