The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

The swearing must be a generational thing. We all do it but when it's done to excess it gets annoying. In the TV thread earlier someone posted a clip from Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is brilliant, but if there's one character that annoys me it's Leon because it's f-this, f-that every other word, it's not even being used in conjunction with another word for effect, it just seems to replace what would be normal spaces between spoken words. And yet people seem to love it but it detracts from what he's saying to me. And it's the same in music. That said I notice my kids and their mates are always dropping the f-word in randomly, they don't even realise.
I completely get your point on the swearing and generally I would just think it is done for shock value (as that isn't really my bag whilst I obviously curse myself).

However, I do the think the style and timing is poignant with this band (literally taken 8 attempts to spell this word correctly).................

Might seems strange coming from somebody that has just selected a piece of classical music as his choice but I like it. I liked it the first time I heard it and despite not having listened to it for many years, I still like it.

I can't really explain why but perhaps it's because it stirs something within me (again not sure what). It also has some nostalgic value for me and brings back memories of a very happy period of my life. I used to own the album and it was good to hear it again.

As previously mentioned, the profanity is over the top, though I don't recall it bothering me much all those years ago. Must be part of the ageing process.

I've added it to one of my play lists and will look forward to fairly regular listens. Just not when my mum or children are within earshot though!

Solid 9/10 for me.

Last edited:
this is an unexpected pick when you look at the review and bashing @Onholiday(somemightsay) gave to Pantera
Gave Pantera another flick on the way home from work - there is nothing I can gravitate towards and to me the similarities are very few and far between.

At times, the bounce in the backing of Rage's music is almost to a dance type beat - they're about 2 steps away from being a heavier version of the Happy Mondays (that's a joke but you see what I'm getting at). ;-)

To me there are also actual guitar riffs on this album coupled with the rap sat on top (obviously until he shouts).

But to be fair BH, we were never all going to agree on this band (partly why I was happy to select it once I had stumbled across a motive for picking it).............

Not an easy one to score.

I'm not a RAM fan but I do have one live album by them that features half the tracks on their debut. Can't say that I have played the live album many times.

I'm also not sure if some of the tracks sounded familiar because I have heard live versions of them or because Morello lifts his riffs from other people. Sadly the Kashmir rip off is not on the live album as it was - somewhat inevitably - the track I liked best.

I do like the music on the whole but I am very fussy about vocals and these are not the kind that I like.

I was a little surprised that this was Mr Holiday’s pick, based on my admittedly sporadic perusal of the many musical threads up till now. I was expecting some obscure Neil Young whimsy or some such and secretly looking forward to it.

However; “Bullet in the Head” I’m familiar with, it used to be covered by one of our local bands in Macclesfield back in the day, a band who mainly did their own stuff and were more Zappa and Beefheart in style than anything. I did used to look forward to them playing it though and listening again can see how much they would have enjoyed it.

There are some great riffs on this album and I like a lot of the bass work although sadly some of the intros are somewhat misleading in terms of what follows.

It’s never going to make one of my playlists and as others have noted the vocals and the profanity and the prosetsalysing can get a bit wearing. 20 years ago it would have probably resonated more with me but I’m a limp wishy washy liberal version of the revolutionary I used to be and it sounds in places naive and immature to these jaded ears.

I can appreciate the musicianship and the passion though. It’s a bit more than the shouted slogans of someone like Discharge.

Not ready to score it yet, it deserves at least one more run through, will need to be either in the car or accompanying some vigorous DIY, couldn’t listen to this while working or doing some of the more sedentary chores

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.