The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

So back to the album at hand.

I saw PJ once in concert and they were really good.

Don't own many of their albums but do among them are their first and last. No surprise that I've owned this one since its time of release.

I don't have much to add to all the comments made so far.

Alive and Jeremy are the highlights.

Vedder's voice is what makes it unique.

The guitar work and drums are impresssive throughout.

I agree that the album starts strong and fades a little but it's a satisfying slab of rock overall and I will have to give it 8/10.

OT, @RobMCFC here's what Superunknown SHOULD have been IMO. 11 of 15 songs:

Let Me Drown
My Wave
Fell On Black Days
Mailman
Superunknown (one of THE most underrated title tracks on any record I own)
Head Down
Black Hole Sun
Spoonman
The Day I Tried To Live (my favo(u)rite song of theirs)
Kickstand
Like Suicide (included more as an homage to CC. RIP)

That record is a 9, maybe even a 9+.

OT, @RobMCFC here's what Superunknown SHOULD have been IMO. 11 of 15 songs:

Let Me Drown
My Wave
Fell On Black Days
Mailman
Superunknown (one of THE most underrated title tracks on any record I own)
Head Down
Black Hole Sun
Spoonman
The Day I Tried To Live (my favo(u)rite song of theirs)
Kickstand
Like Suicide (included more as an homage to CC. RIP)

That record is a 9, maybe even a 9+.
I listened to it again last week on the back of this review. The 4 or 5 “immense tracks” that I was referring to are:

My Wave
Fell on Black Days
Black Hole Sun
Spoonman
The Day I Tried To Live

Others that would definitely make the cut-down version:

Superunknown
Kickstand
Like Suicide

I’d have to have a think about the others but your list contains all the tracks I’d definitely want so it wouldn't be far off your version.

Definitely one of those albums where a bit of editing would help it a lot and yes, I’d probably go 8/10 for the album as it is.

Not had much time this week but had a listen to Ten before - it's an album I know quite well from back in the day!

I used to love this album back in the 90s and played it a lot. For a while, they were probably one of my favourite Grunge bands. However, and I've not got a clue why, I just stopped listening to them so it was nice to come back to an old friend.

It's got some great tracks on it - Even Flow, Alive, Black, Oceans and of course Jeremy. I love the songs still but then I think I realised why I stopped listening to them - Eddie Vedder's voice grates with me after a bit.

Still, it's a great album and one of the best grunge albums of the era and it was good to listen back to it again.

8/10

Greetings from the city of the drive-thru coffee stands.

I enjoyed a nice Iced Americano today after a very early 5.5 hour flight to Seattle, and I got in more than a few samplings of Mookie Blalock's number Ten to add my thoughts. I've now forced myself to stay up to adjust fully to Pacific Time.

Loved this album when it first came out in 1991. One of my biggest memories was seeing Pearl Jam for the first time on 10/4/1996 when they were boycotting Ticketmaster (the originals) and we got treated to 23 songs (5 from Ten) in an amazing show in a dated and bathroom facilities challenged Charlotte Memorial Stadium:

My favorites from Ten are listed here in order:
1. Black - still the king on lamenting first relationships, hits home when reflecting, pure emotion at the end - "but why, why, why can't it be"

2. Why Go - all and all rocker, love this from start to finish. "Why go home?" indeed?

3. Even Flow - saw even more examples of homelessness today than probably back in the 90's being described in the song

4. Alive - "have I got a little story for you"... great lyrics building to a strong finish on a personal Eddie Vedder story, "and if so, if so, who answers?"

5. Release - yeah, final song is a great release of what holds you back or down. As emotional as it gets, harkens back to Alive as a song to his dad - "I am myself, Like you somehow." Fantastic ending to this original album.

6. Once - the opener starts slow and then explores the inner turmoil and loss of self-control. "Once upon a time I could control myself"

7. Jeremy - seemed a harmless little song, but maybe I've heard this too much to prefer other songs off the album more. Still a great song, just got overplayed for my long-term enjoyment.

8. Porch - one of Pearl Jam's first songs, love the guitars and drums in this one as it speeds up and gets closer to the end, apparently about a breakup as the lyrics talk about at the end.

9. Garden - haunting tune that I really like the guitars and ending to. Facing death without certainty of the afterlife and being at peace. "I don't need You for me to live"

10. Oceans - I've been known to skip this a few times after hearing the first notes, and I've not loved a surfboard before like Eddie has.

This was a fantastic revisit to an album I haven't heard in a while, and one upon further reflection, represents the band's best overall. While there are parts of Vs. that I like more than some of the best here, this one overall holds its own more after hearing both this week.

While I would love to give this a 10/10 for the title, I think a 9.1/10 for the year it came out is more appropriate. Great choice, BlueHammer85, and darn you Messi for throwing me off figuring it out!

Great to revisit an album that had been a big part of an era for me. Yet for some reason I have not gone back to in ages.

Most of it is as I remember it. The big surprise is, just how long most of the songs now feel. I either noticed they were dragged out, but ignored it. Noticed, and selectively forgot. Or didn't notice. Or age has something to do with it.

Context is very much important and relevant with this one. It, and they as a band, were almost the champions of the peak of a movement and subculture that became big, pushing Grunge into the mainstream, oh the irony. It was supposedly a reaction to where metal had got to, glam rock slowly replacing hard rock, punk eating itself up, etc. Yet, it so heavily borrowed, nae, took, from almost all of them. They did as a group of bands at their peak produce some great music, that stil stands the test of time. In another quirk of Irony, Pearl Jam, arguably the most prominent name of that collection of bands, sounded least 'grunge' of the lot, and most like their predecessors in hard rock/metal. Maybe that's exactly what made them so sellable, the new generation could associate them with the new, and those still holding on did not have a jolt of a change. Plus, they were just cool as fuck, and made it look good.

The big downside for me, was it stunted another concurrent 'movement', by another group of bands doing the same thing, less successfully commercially, but imo with a more distinctive sound. Bands like Kyuss, Fu Manchu etc that later would get the lable 'desert rock' and become a bit of a minor footnote in the evolution of Rock music. After all, it was from there that the likes of Screaming Trees, who are now considered one of the pioneers of grunge emerged.

Back to the album itself. Black is still a great song. Porch is still a great song. Alive and Once are excellent. There was a girl in my school that tried to convince many of us that Even Flow was about her period, but that aside it is a great song too. Lyrics then were not so readily available, and you either really had to make an effort to listen to them to get them, or disxuss them. Or maybe juat accept the somewhat abstract nature them, and not care much. So the music and style had to do their thing. Which for me, then at that age, it did. There is some filler on the album. And there is a bit of style competing with substance here and ther. Overall though, an 8 from me.

After all, it was from there that the likes of Screaming Trees, who are now considered one of the pioneers of grunge emerged.
I had "Shadow of the Season" on my recent holiday playlist. A great song that I heard on a Q compilation CD in the early 90s and hadn't heard for years. Suddenly I realised I'd have access to it via Spotify.

Unlike many (most?) on the thread I don’t own Ten and didn’t listen to it at the time, so though I’m familiar with some Pearl Jam tracks this has been a welcome opportunity to find out what all the fuss was about when they appeared on the scene. So, thank you for the nomination @BlueHammer85 , I think your tendency to occasionally chuck in better known albums works really well, as evidenced by the discussion.

Much of what I’d be inclined to say has already been said but a few things that spring to mind:

Agree with many who say the first half of the album is stronger than the second but I’m not necessarily convinced that’s entirely because the songs are of a significantly better quality; I think there’s also a bit of fatigue sets in, it’s not monolithic but it’s very similar in tone throughout and though I like Vedder’s voice I’m beginning to find it slightly one dimensional by the end of the album. If I listen to 4 or 5 tracks at a time, I don’t have that problem irrespective of which 'slice' of the album I listen to. All that said Once is ok but combined with Even Flow and Alive constitute a great opening to an album and it would be fairly miraculous to keep that going across 11 tracks.

Black seems a bit divisive as a song but I think it just about avoids crossing over into the most despicable expression of music known to mankind, the power ballad, and so I quite liked it.

Jeremy is an interesting song, in that it’s the most familiar but I’ve never really been 100% convinced by it. Musically I really like it but lyrically I have a problem with songs like these. I’m of the view that if you are going to cover this type of subject matter your have to achieve two things (a) say something meaningful and (b) don’t be overly reductive about it; both of which are really hard do whilst still making something people want to listen to. This feels like it was made with the best of intentions but I’m not sure it quite achieves both those things and so its musical merits are slightly compromised for me personally. That said it’s just a picky personal thing and you can hear the inspiration for dozens of subsequent bands and singers in this and the rest of the album.

The production has actually stood the test of time pretty well I think. Unlike other bands of the time there’s not the same aversion to reverb and a clear guitar lead which makes it sound quite safe in comparison but it didn't stay in the gated reverb hell of the 80’s and big hair, so to me it sounds ok albeit not particular innovative.

This album is never going to resonate with me at an emotional level in the way it will someone a few years younger; I was getting into my career and was too busy suppressing whatever residual teenage angst and esteem issues I had by buying fancy work suits, pretending to be grown up and generally being a bit of a twat. However, I like it and I think I get why it is a beloved album for lots of people. It’s very radio friendly, actually a lot less heavy than I expected it to be to the point where in some strange way it connects to my poppy side as much as any interest in rock. This in contrast to say Soundgarden who, from the stuff I know, I wouldn't think of in the same way.

Talking of other bands, when I’m less familiar with something I enjoy the opportunity to read around stuff like reading about Pearl Jams origins and the Green River split with Mark Arm ultimately leading to different routes for PJ and Mudhoney (current topic of debate with elder son is whether Superfuzz Bigmuff is any good or not); anyway it occurred to me that the scene from which a genre emerges is always more interesting than the genre itself. There’s almost always an intriguing network of bands and artists that are often mutually supportive but at the same time competitive, superficially doing similar things but maybe with very different ambitions even within the same band. There's always the 'winners' not necessarily those who you might expect or feel merit it even. It put me in mind of the tales from the period when Sly and the Family Stone were establishing themselves and also the scene that Love were part of. The lives of real people striving for something are far more interesting than the genre labels which as @Coatigan has already said tend to morph into something else subsequently.

I don’t think Ten is a masterpiece and in some ways it’s a bit more conservative and slick than I was expecting but I think it’s very enjoyable and it’s an 8/10 for me.

Last edited:
Unlike many (most?) on the thread I don’t own Ten and didn’t listen to it at the time, so though I’m familiar with some Pearl Jam tracks this has been a welcome opportunity to find out what all the fuss was about when they appeared on the scene. So, thank you for the nomination @BlueHammer85 , I think your tendency to occasionally chuck in better known albums works really well, as evidenced by the discussion.

Much of what I’d be inclined to say has already been said but a few things that spring to mind:

Agree with many who say the first half of the album is stronger than the second but I’m not necessarily convinced that’s entirely because the songs are of a significantly better quality; I think there’s also a bit of fatigue sets in, it’s not monolithic but it’s very similar in tone throughout and though I like Vedder’s voice I’m beginning to find it slightly one dimensional by the end of the album. If I listen to 4 or 5 tracks at a time, I don’t have that problem irrespective of which 'slice' of the album I listen to. All that said Once is ok but combined with Even Flow and Alive constitute a great opening to an album and it would be fairly miraculous to keep that going across 11 tracks.

Black seems a bit divisive as a song but I think it just about avoids crossing over into the most despicable expression of music known to mankind, the power ballad, and so I quite liked it.

Jeremy is an interesting song, in that it’s the most familiar but I’ve never really been 100% convinced by it. Musically I really like it but lyrically I have a problem with songs like these. I’m of the view that if you are going to cover this type of subject matter your have to achieve two things (a) say something meaningful and (b) don’t be overly reductive about it; both of which are really hard do whilst still making something people want to listen to. This feels like it was made with the best of intentions but I’m not sure it quite achieves both those things and so its musical merits are slightly compromised for me personally. That said it’s just a picky personal thing and you can hear the inspiration for dozens of subsequent bands and singers in this and the rest of the album.

The production has actually stood the test of time pretty well I think. Unlike other bands of the time there’s not the same aversion to reverb and a clear guitar lead which makes it sound quite safe in comparison but it didn't stay in the gated reverb hell of the 80’s and big hair, so to me it sounds ok albeit not particular innovative.

This album is never going to resonate with me at an emotional level in the way it will someone a few years younger; I was getting into my career and was too busy suppressing whatever residual teenage angst and esteem issues I had by buying fancy work suits, pretending to be grown up and generally being a bit of a twat. However, I like it and I think I get why it is a beloved album for lots of people. It’s very radio friendly, actually a lot less heavy than I expected it to be to the point where in some strange way it connects to my poppy side as much as any interest in rock. This in contrast to say Soundgarden who, from the stuff I know, I wouldn't think of in the same way.

Talking of other bands, when I’m less familiar with something I enjoy the opportunity to read around stuff like reading about Pearl Jams origins and the Green River split with Mark Arm ultimately leading to different routes for PJ and Mudhoney (current topic of debate with elder son is whether Superfuzz Bigmuff is any good or not); anyway it occurred to me that the scene from which a genre emerges is always more interesting than the genre itself. There’s almost always an intriguing network of bands and artists that are often mutually supportive but at the same time competitive, superficially doing similar things but maybe with very different ambitions even within the same band. There's always the 'winners' not necessarily those who you might expect or feel merit it even. It put me in mind of the tales from the period when Sly and the Family Stone were establishing themselves and also the scene that Love were part of. The lives of real people striving for something are far more interesting than the genre labels which as @Coatigan has already said tend to morph into something else subsequently.

I don’t think Ten is a masterpiece and in some ways it’s a bit more conservative and slick than I was expecting but I think it’s very enjoyable and it’s an 8/10 for me.

Great review bud.

I’ll put my cards on the table and admit I’m a big PJ fan. Saw them at Hyde Park last summer and it was a great show. I won’t get drawn into the grunge debate, suffice to say they aren’t country, and I’m very happy with that!!
I’ve had this album pretty much since its release. There are the obvious big tracks that others have already discussed. Of these, Jeremy is my least favourite. Not really sure why, maybe I’ve heard it too much but it’s not one I’ve ever really been enamoured by. Black on the other hand is immense and one of the stand out tracks for me. It highlights Vedders voice in the most sublime way. Alive seems to be the set closer of choice and you can understand why it is a great rock anthem.
Of the other ‘lesser’ tracks I’d put Porch, Garden and Oceans up there with the best of them. Porch particularly showcases the great guitar sound that PJ create.
I was going to give this a 10 - for me it is that good and such an iconic album in my collection. However the exclusion of Yellow Ledbetter is a travesty which cannot be forgiven! It was an outtake from the same recording session which only appeared on the B side of the Jeremy single release. So I’m afraid it’s a 9.5 for me - great choice BH!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.