The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I think you either like something or you don’t and yes there are degrees of both but the scoring for me is the least interesting element of this thread. The discussion is where it’s rich and interesting and the sponsorship of music you don’t know well. As soon as you introduce scoring to a bunch of blokes it will get competitive. For my next choice I will critique Dark Side of the Moon ;-)
It's my choice next and I had planned an interesting progressive Rock album.... that was before Foxtrot came along. I don't suppose two prog rock albums in a row is a good idea now.
I'm thinking I'll have to revise my choice.

I think you either like something or you don’t and yes there are degrees of both but the scoring for me is the least interesting element of this thread. The discussion is where it’s rich and interesting and the sponsorship of music you don’t know well. As soon as you introduce scoring to a bunch of blokes it will get competitive. For my next choice I will critique Dark Side of the Moon ;-)
To be fair I'm not competitive over the scoring at all (although maybe causes me some annoyance on some things that I don't worthy of a particularly high score etc), but it's easy indication of what we all like and don't like.

It'll highlight the surprises when we look back..........

It's my choice next and I had planned an interesting progressive Rock album.... that was before Foxtrot came along. I don't suppose two prog rock albums in a row is a good idea now.
Stick to your guns BW - in the nicest way possible, who gives a fuck what we think.

None of my picks will be base on me either trying to score high merely because I have found an angle to work from to produce something of interest (whether you guys like it or not).......... :-)

A bygone era and one I believe that we will never again recapture. If there is any instrument that can conjure up the imagination of that bygone era then it has to be the Mellotron.

Foxtrot will forever be in my top echelon of album masterpieces alongside Nursery Cryme and Selling England but then that would be doing a sever injustice to the to The Lamb. This was the peak of Genesis as far as music and creativity went and I can only salute their indefatigability and dedication to their chosen genre for all the musical delight and enchantment their compositions have brought to me.

It's easy to imagine its all about Gabriel but it's really not even though he is God like, no matter how you cut it there was nothing else like them in world of prog rock with story telling antics to die for.

I worship Yes but at times they seemed to concentrate more on that Space time continuum with flashes of the psychedelic to lift of the soul... but not great Genesis-esque story tellers persay. A mention in dispatches to Topographic and also to the wonderful Anderson who remains spiritually and intrinsically connected to all that is mother earth, with snippets of love, harmonious goodness and the pleasantries of the shire..

Some brilliant write ups from the music aficionados off here concerning this mighty fine album and I have really enjoyed reading every single one of them.

I Love Watcher, therefore that will be the cut and paste offered for your kind perusal. An interesting nugget of information is that the title was gleaned from John Keats 1817 poem "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer":

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken

A solid listen so 9/10 it shall be

Last edited:
A bygone era and one I believe that we will never again recapture. If there is any instrument that can conjure up the imagination of that bygone era then it has to be that Mellotron.

Foxtrot will forever be in my top echelon of album masterpieces alongside Nursery Cryme and Selling England but then that would be doing a sever injustice to the to The Lamb. This was the peak of Genesis as far as music and creativity went and I can only salute their indefatigability and dedication to their chosen genre for all the musical delight and enchantment their compositions have brought to me.

It's easy to imagine its all about Gabriel but it's really not even though he is God like, no matter how you cut it there was nothing else like them in world of prog rock with story telling antics to die for.

I worship Yes but at times they appeared to concentrated more on the Space time continuum with flashes of the psychedelic to lift of the soul... but not great Genesis-esque story tellers persay. A mention in dispatches to Topographic and also to the wonderful Anderson who is spiritually and intrinsically connected to all that's mother earth, with snippets of love, harmonious goodness and the pleasantries of the shire..

Some brilliant write ups from the music aficionados off here concerning this mighty fine album and I have really enjoyed reading every single one of them.

I Love Watcher, therefore that will be the cut and paste offered for your kind perusal. An interesting nugget of information is that the title was gleaned from John Keats 1817 poem "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer":

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken

A solid listen so 9/10 it shall be

And this review gets

Foxtrot, Foxtrot, Foxtrot, where to start ?
I guess at the beginning. I like all the Gabriel prog albums, even Trespass, the one without Collins on drums. When this first came out the sound was lousy, cramming 50 minutes onto an LP meant a decrease in sound quality for us HiFi dweebs, 40 really is the max. But the later releases corrected this especially the re-mastered version.
As soon as I heard the beautiful mellotron intro in Watcher of The Skies, I was hooked. An amazing album, and in my opinion, Genesis' finest hour. The opening song, "Watcher of The Skies" is a bit of an odd track, (and reminds me of Ye's opener on The Yes Album, Yours Is No Disgrace in terms of the way itgallops along) but repeat listens unveil its true brilliance. Rutherfords work in this track is good, his bass riff is immediately catchy. Beautiful washes of mellotron and guitar give this song a lot of character, it stands out as one of Genesis' most adventurous (and rewarding) songs. "Get em Out By Friday" is another killer track with Gabriel playing different vocal roles and showcasing his versatile vocal style. Great organ work by Tony here. Can-Utility And The Coastliners is a great symphonic track that builds to a rich and breathtaking climax, Hackett and Banks' instruments weaving in and out of one another overtop a beautiful orchestral mellotron.
The real treat on this album is the albums centerpiece "Supper's Ready," this magnum opus travels through many different moods and reaches several awe inspiring climaxes. The song blends perfectly the emotion of Gabriel's performance and the power of the band supporting him. Many great parts in this song, and lots of lush instrumentals. Very melodic and rich, the composition flows perfectly through each musical motif. Some standout passages are Hackett's intense solo in the movement "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men", and Bank's crowning moment "Apocalypse in 9/8". Once the first movement is reprised, you WILL be in utter awe. This album is no less than a masterpiece of Prog and Im surprised it isnt mentioned much in the 10 greatest ever lists (as I think its better than any Pink Floyd album) , and an essential record for anyone who even remotely enjoys progressive music.
8/10
Couldn't have put it better myself!
Seriously...~I tried haha.

Do the one your heart tells you to do. Does this come back round?...do we carry on until we've basically all given our top 10 albums?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.