The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Lovely to hear The Carpenters again. Beautiful tune.

And one of the great contralto voices of pop music with a pretty unusual range for a woman. Hard to believe she was panned at the time for being sugary.
Not really that familiar with the Carpenters but my pick for this thread was going to be a Weyes Blood one. She is often compared to Carpenter

Not really that familiar with the Carpenters but my pick for this thread was going to be a Weyes Blood one. She is often compared to Carpenter

Blimey, she sounds remarkably similar at times doesn't she. Very enjoyable. Don't know if she has the same level of bottom end as Carpenter but then hardly anyone does.

Last edited:
Since I don't have the list of Who's In, I like just listening to the tunes and letting it all sink in day 1.

Here's a few initial thoughts after a couple listens:
  • I'm not sure why, but I was smiling after hearing each song for the first time. Not because I knew whose song it was, but because this a damn strong playlist and I really just appreciated the variety of tunes.
  • I was glad to hear many new artists, and in the instances where that wasn't the case, the songs were (mostly) new to me and I knew people put a lot of thought into this. Listening today other than getting together with some friends and playing cornhole and enjoying some beer (nod to the Alcohol playlist), this was a very pleasant surprise highlight I didn't see coming.
  • The Carpenters "Goodbye To Love" was quite an enjoyable nostalgic listen. Took me back in listening to them with my Mom as kid - she really liked that band, got me into them, and that was a great tune. That one alone made my day.
  • I always got Dog's Eye View and Third Eye Blind confused, though I enjoy both. Good song that.
  • I heard some songs that I enjoyed more than the one I submitted, so kudos to those. Picking a Top 10 is going to be very tough from this group!
  • I enjoyed the original of the REM cover more than I thought I would. Maybe I should have chosen THAT for the Song Cup?
  • Hmm, who would have the nerve to set up Rob? Don't dream it's over.
  • A recent War On Drugs song came on at the end of the playlist for me. Kurt Vile smiled.
  • I'm glad Foggy gave Don Henley another chance after the Long Run. That was awfully kind of him. ;-)

Last edited:
And one of the great contralto voices of pop music with a pretty unusual range for a woman. Hard to believe she was panned at the time for being sugary.
Spot on as usual TP crisp . clear, effortless never missed an octave live either , amazingly gifted voice and different from most of her contemporaries , past and present.

In my day you were a wuss if you liked the Carpenters but their music and ability to pick the right covers for her style are impeccable and stood the test of time.

Given the number of covers they don't feature in my all time favs but Leon Russell and Burt Bacharach to name but two could pen as good song or two (LOL) and knew which artist could do them justice.

I am off the see A Kind Of Hush a tribute to her with some of our local talent , something I rarely do ( Dusty Springfield is the only other I can recall as money is a bit tighter these days ) such is my admiration for her voice.

Alice Cooper and JWL said their was none better which is more than good enough for me.

End of Round #8 Playlist - June 2024

Thought I'd post the playlist again along with all the other relevant info. An yes, it is a very strong and varied playlist.

Remember:-

1. Closing date for guesses is next Sunday (9th June).
2. Send you top 10 from the list to me in a PM.
3. If you want a crack at winning the prestigious guessing championship, the list of nominators is below. Put your guesses as to who picked what track in a post in this thread.

Playlist

Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys
Instinct - Crowded House
Woodstock by Joni Mitchell
You must be prepared to dream - Ian McNabb
We Could Send Letters - Aztec Camera
Breathe - Imelda May
Everything Falls Apart - Dogs Eye View
Old Place - Nick Waterhouse
For Those In Peril From The Sea - Kevin McDermott Orchestra
Goodbye To Love - The Carpenters
One Trick Ponies - Kurt Vile
Escape - Metallica
Black Dog/White Horse - Big Special
The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Palm Of My Hand - The Pale Fountains
The Runner - Allison Russell
Line of Fire - Junip
Substitution - Silversun Pickups
First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen
And here we test our powers of observation - The Bad Plus

Nominmators

(In alphabetical order)

bennyboy
BimboBob
Black&White&BlueMoon Town
BlueHammer85
Coatigan
FogBlueInSanFran
GoatersLeftShin
GornikDaze
journolud
LGWIO
mancity111
mancity2012_eamo
Mancitydoogle
OB1
Out on blue 6
RobMCFC
Saddleworth2
southamptonblue
stoneblue
threespires

Some belters in that list! Clearly my pick is the stand out track. Cheers to Rob for putting this together. I suspect a lot of false nominations this round, I will try and get more than two correct this time :)

Two? That's Colombo level genius as far as I'm concerned.

Despite as you say the likely bucket load of misdirection going on, I assume they are all tracks that the nominators do actually like as they are top songs. Only the one song I'll be skipping, though I'm aware it is a much loved song for many.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.