The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

@BimboBob -- I love you mate -- but after twenty minutes, I can't. I'd just end up saying things I'd regret and as a modest fan of sci fi as a youth, maybe this surprises me. But I'll abstain this week.

What I will do is go back to one of your records I missed though (The Groundhogs I think) and give some thoughts without a score as a compromise.

@BimboBob -- I love you mate -- but after twenty minutes, I can't. I'd just end up saying things I'd regret and as a modest fan of sci fi as a youth, maybe this surprises me. But I'll abstain this week.

What I will do is go back to one of your records I missed though (The Groundhogs I think) and give some thoughts without a score as a compromise.
Like the previous album, all comments, good or bad, are accepted mate. It's another personal offering I'm sorry to say so I won't be offended by anything written.

Last edited:
Like the previous album all comments, good or bad, are accepted mate. It's another personal offering I'm sorry to say so I won't be offended by anything written.

You won't be offended my my comments on this one, other than surprise at you nominating this.

I never had the vinyl version but had the cd for a good few years and played it quite a bit. 8/10, probably but I will have a listen before giving a final score.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

It's 1978, Sunday evening, around 7pm. My Dad has just picked another album to pass the time between tea and bed. It's our weekly ritual. His record player is in the front room. A place I am rarely allowed in as it's kept for "best". This means birthdays, Christmas, Sunday evening music sessions and swinging. I am not a participant in the last activity. Nor ever will be. I sit on the sofa, he has the armchair. It's a sofa that I now look back on with some disgust, no wonder it got so threadbare.
He puts the record on, sits in his chair, grabs his glass of single malt and leans back, looking at me for my first reaction. Richard Burton's deep deep tones clearly come through and I half grimace. Not another spoken word album. Please. Derek and Clive were ok but I didn't understand any of it. And then the orchestra hits. He smiles then, knowingly. Badly nodding along.

And so my first introduction to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds has happened. I went to school the next day talking about nothing else. Of course my friends were used to me banging on about random music none of them had ever heard of but this time my rantings were to be proved prophetical as a week later it was picked to be the album of choice in my music class. I was way ahead of the curve. Well, a week.
My only trouble was, I wanted to listen to it again and again. Not possible with it being in the swinging room. So I forked out a lot of my hard earned pocket money, it was a double album which cost more. A lot more. Over the next few weeks we dissected the whole damn thing, so much so that I became sick of it all. The oooh laaa's, the deep deep tones and the smooth singing. And besides, I'd moved onto Tubeway Army. Still way ahead of the curve. Thanks to my older cousin.

But since then?

I still have the original album I bought, and my Dad's copy. I've seen the stage show and I even went to the interactive thingy in that there London last year. Almost shed a tear in memory of my Dad, He died when I was 21, as it brought back so many lovely memories. And the odd not so lovely ones. That bloody sofa for one. It is another album that goes on a few times a year. Nostalgic? Probably. Because I like it? Definitely.

1. The Eve Of War
2. Horsell Common and the Heat Ray.
3. The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine.
4. Forever Autumn.
5. Thunder Child.
6. The Red Weed (Part 1)
7. The Spirit Of Man.
8. The Red Weed (Part 2)
9. The Artilleryman Returns.
10. Brave New World.
11. Dead London.
12. Epilogue (Part 1)
13. Epilogue (Part 2) (NASA)

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

It's 1978, Sunday evening, around 7pm. My Dad has just picked another album to pass the time between tea and bed. It's our weekly ritual. His record player is in the front room. A place I am rarely allowed in as it's kept for "best". This means birthdays, Christmas, Sunday evening music sessions and swinging. I am not a participant in the last activity. Nor ever will be. I sit on the sofa, he has the armchair. It's a sofa that I now look back on with some disgust, no wonder it got so threadbare.
He puts the record on, sits in his chair, grabs his glass of single malt and leans back, looking at me for my first reaction. Richard Burton's deep deep tones clearly come through and I half grimace. Not another spoken word album. Please. Derek and Clive were ok but I didn't understand any of it. And then the orchestra hits. He smiles then, knowingly. Badly nodding along.

And so my first introduction to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds has happened. I went to school the next day talking about nothing else. Of course my friends were used to me banging on about random music none of them had ever heard of but this time my rantings were to be proved prophetical as a week later it was picked to be the album of choice in my music class. I was way ahead of the curve. Well, a week.
My only trouble was, I wanted to listen to it again and again. Not possible with it being in the swinging room. So I forked out a lot of my hard earned pocket money, it was a double album which cost more. A lot more. Over the next few weeks we dissected the whole damn thing, so much so that I became sick of it all. The oooh laaa's, the deep deep tones and the smooth singing. And besides, I'd moved onto Tubeway Army. Still way ahead of the curve. Thanks to my older cousin.

But since then?

I still have the original album I bought, and my Dad's copy. I've seen the stage show and I even went to the interactive thingy in that there London last year. Almost shed a tear in memory of my Dad, He died when I was 21, as it brought back so many lovely memories. And the odd not so lovely ones. That bloody sofa for one. It is another album that goes on a few times a year. Nostalgic? Probably. Because I like it? Definitely.

1. The Eve Of War
2. Horsell Common and the Heat Ray.
3. The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine.
4. Forever Autumn.
5. Thunder Child.
6. The Red Weed (Part 1)
7. The Spirit Of Man.
8. The Red Weed (Part 2)
9. The Artilleryman Returns.
10. Brave New World.
11. Dead London.
12. Epilogue (Part 1)
13. Epilogue (Part 2) (NASA)
Going to find it hard to dislike after this

Really sorry @mrbelfry , I’ve been away at a wedding in Montenegro this week so had no time to listen to your nomination.
I will endeavour to give it a listen over the next few weeks.
Hope you had a good time. If you take a listen now you'll be taking time away from this week's nomination and subsequent ones so don't feel obligated. If you do listen im always happy to hear an opinion on it

Apologies to @mrbelfry for not adding a review to his nomination. It's been a complicated week and although I did give it a couple of starts I didn't get through it on either occasion. There were bits I liked and bits I didn't, rather like when my son went through a phase of making me listen to Kanye West and I found myself occasionally surprised by how melodic some of it was.

Ultimately though it was a bit too all over the place for me in my current mood and circumstance to persevere with. If it had been available on anything other than youtube it would have got a better airing in the car or at the gym. Not fair to to score it and I'm too late anyway.

Tomorrow circumstance has me transporting my elderly in-laws to Wales for my sister in laws wedding. I've kind of wrestled with what I was going to play in the car on the way over and had settled on classic FM but looks like it will now be War of the Worlds, a Welsh narrator too!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.