The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Apologies to @mrbelfry for not adding a review to his nomination. It's been a complicated week and although I did give it a couple of starts I didn't get through it on either occasion. There were bits I liked and bits I didn't, rather like when my son went through a phase of making me listen to Kanye West and I found myself occasionally surprised by how melodic some of it was.

Ultimately though it was a bit too all over the place for me in my current mood and circumstance to persevere with. If it had been available on anything other than youtube it would have got a better airing in the car or at the gym. Not fair to to score it and I'm too late anyway.

Tomorrow circumstance has me transporting my elderly in-laws to Wales for my sister in laws wedding. I've kind of wrestled with what I was going to play in the car on the way over and had settled on classic FM but looks like it will now be War of the Worlds, a Welsh narrator too!
Definitely not the album you want for a long car journey with in laws. war of the worlds will be much better.

Hope life gets less complicated for you

Put it on in the car and instead of trundling up to the Etihad, I'm instantly transported back and I'm a kid in my sister's mates TR7 on the way to Maine Rd. Music really is a time machine (ho ho).

Must be close to 40 years since I last listened to this fully. We'll see how it goes.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

It's 1978, Sunday evening, around 7pm. My Dad has just picked another album to pass the time between tea and bed. It's our weekly ritual. His record player is in the front room. A place I am rarely allowed in as it's kept for "best". This means birthdays, Christmas, Sunday evening music sessions and swinging. I am not a participant in the last activity. Nor ever will be.
Some of you Brits sure have fancy houses to have a swing in them, the pre-teen me would think...

My only trouble was, I wanted to listen to it again and again. Not possible with it being in the swinging room.
Even with its own name, nicely done.

I still have the original album I bought, and my Dad's copy. I've seen the stage show and I even went to the interactive thingy in that there London last year. Almost shed a tear in memory of my Dad, He died when I was 21, as it brought back so many lovely memories. And the odd not so lovely ones. That bloody sofa for one. It is another album that goes on a few times a year. Nostalgic? Probably. Because I like it? Definitely.
A very well written intro, I felt like I was there and back in school as well. I have the same nostalgia for my Mom's music, but that's another story.

When I'm watching Squeeze and Boy George in concert tonight, my thoughts might even wander to this, and remind myself that I'm (mostly) there for my wife. That's what I'm telling myself.

It should come as no surprise that this album will be new to me as well as the US chart positions showed. Good thing I spent 0 time in looking at those initial clues too. There was no listening to this album in my middle school.

I will, however, look forward to listening and reviewing it this week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.