The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

Another listen I'm struggling with.
The tunes seem to just go on and on and Burton seems to go on and on.lol.
First half dozen tracks.
Going to be another forced couple of listens.
I won't be listening to this 3 times.

The main theme is repeated throughout - so you've got more than your three listens there.

This is more like a film or a book where you absorb the content over a long period of time. Does anybody read a single book or watch a single film three times in one week?

I won't be listening to this 3 times.

The main theme is repeated throughout - so you've got more than your three listens there.

This is more like a film or a book where you absorb the content over a long period of time. Does anybody read a single book or watch a single film three times in one week?
Haha, fair point well made.

Maybe it is a UK thing but the Roses are probably the most influential band of the last 35 years though. Anyone around the indie genre will be influenced by them. It might only be one record but for many people that's all that was needed. It's not one of the top 5 UK albums ever as like you say there's a lot better but in recent times I can't think of another with the same impact. That album (with the Mondayd and Hacienda) kick started a cultural movement which took Manchester from being a drab post industrial city into the place it is today
I'd argue that Depeche Mode have had far more influence on modern music than the Roses.

Maybe it is a UK thing but the Roses are probably the most influential band of the last 35 years though. Anyone around the indie genre will be influenced by them. It might only be one record but for many people that's all that was needed. It's not one of the top 5 UK albums ever as like you say there's a lot better but in recent times I can't think of another with the same impact. That album (with the Mondayd and Hacienda) kick started a cultural movement which took Manchester from being a drab post industrial city into the place it is today
People say this about every 5th British band of that broad era. Including Oasis, Radiohead, etc. Can't all be true, and dilutes the claim. The only thing it shows to me is that people think really badly of that era. And everything beyond it.

Another listen I'm struggling with.
The tunes seem to just go on and on and Burton seems to go on and on.lol.
First half dozen tracks.
Going to be another forced couple of listens.

This is something I am going to touch on in my review properly later.

I listened to Rick Wakeman's couple albums before I listened to this, but within the same time general time period.

And my lasting recollection was that, say Journey for example, had none or very little narrative, where as this had hunners. It stuck with me, and I always rated it a bit less for it.

Listened to both again as part of this week, and you know what, this doesn't have nearly as much chat as I thought I remembered, and Wakeman has more than I recall.

This is something I am going to touch on in my review properly later.

I listened to Rick Wakeman's couple albums before I listened to this, but within the same time general time period.

And my lasting recollection was that, say Journey for example, had none or very little narrative, where as this had hunners. It stuck with me, and I always rated it a bit less for it.

Listened to both again as part of this week, and you know what, this doesn't have nearly as much chat as I thought I remembered, and Wakeman has more than I recall.
That’s blown my review out the water then - I was going to make reference to RW!!

Half way through side 2. Any one who gave me crap last week but likes this needs to have a word with themselves
I’m not sure if I qualify or not but I suppose I gave you my own brand of crap on your pick.
Mr.B I’m glad yours is the first post I’ve read in here today and I will answer you before reading on to find out how others feel about this.

I remember this album coming out and a few people I knew having it and raving about it. Can’t remember who exactly, but it was the must have album at the time. After all Saint Phil featured on it.

The song with Justin Hayward was played to death on the radio, and a very nice tune it is too.

So I stuck this on last night after the glorious 0-0 against Inter….
And almost immediately regretted it.
I remember the music that couldn’t be avoided back then. I remember the lovely overblown orchestration. I remember the pompous narrative that left me searching for the visual to go with it.

I got the same feeling now that I got back then. That this is the greatest load of pretentious, up its own arse, pomposity about an outdated sci-fi concept that really is no more than a film score and without a visual to go with it, leaves me not only bored to tears but increasingly agitated and annoyed as Richard Burton believes his own importance with every line.
David Essex then proves he can’t act and Phil? Oh Phil! Yes you put a decent shift in, but why? Why Phil?
Don’t tell me you had designs on playing Judas Iscariot or some such in Jaysus Christ Superstar or some such rock opera.

I have it on again now, but this is really not going down well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.