The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I hate book to film adaptations. Almost all of them. They leave very little to the imagination, and they pretty much never align with how I imagine them, the characters, the mood the events. They sometimes make big scenes of insignificant bits, leave out crucial parts altogether, and sometimes change bits, or worse, the tone. There are only two that I can stomach, thay haven't completely shat the bed.

Books to musical soundtracks, that's quite different though. Leaves space for imagination, and for me to fill in the gaps myself. Yes it can maybe sway the tone one way or another, but generally, lets me interpret it how I want to see it, and take my own experience from it, rather than digesting and regurgitating it back to me like the birds do.

That's what I love about this album. I once spoke of how with Scott Hutch's lyrics, I feel I can literally See what he is describing, be it a tiny helpless person in the arch of the church between a thumb and a forefinger, a cross section of a suburban home with all-knowing smiling skulls below the patio, or two bodies under a duvet. And this album has the same effect on me, although through the music rather than that words.

After the brief background narrative intro, once that music kicks in, I feel I can actually See the public of Earth, blissfully going about their daily lives. People dropping kids off at school, reading papers on busses, washing last night's dishes, and when that drum and panpipes kick in, large crowds crossing streets, goung to stadia to watch sports competitions, all completely unaware of the long planned upcoming mass of luminous gas soon to be hurtling towards them. All to the rhythm and melody of the track.

I could go through this song by song, but it would be one long read, and I think I've made my point. It is an album that I find not only musically interesting, but visually moving.

Felt like that when I first heard it, felt like that this time round. I can't now for the life of me remember which I heard first Wakeman or this. Both were maybe a decade after they came out, and I partly think Journey to the Centre was my first one. I remember thinking there was too much dialogue in this one in comparison, and the singing was unnecessary, but this time round, it didn't bother me and I think there is less of it than I built. I feel the same with the Gritterman, whish there was a version of the album without the narrative, the songs do enough themselves imo. But it is there, I have learned to accept it, and come ths first of December, I will be sticking it on like I do every year.

Interesting take on the lack of doom by Belfry, I can see that a bit, never seemed to really notice before. I loved the idea that you could just sit down to something, listen to it beginning to end, with no tv, and let yourself imagine it all unfolding. And I also felt that in the type of alien invasion environment communication would be disrupted anyway, with only low tech radio available to sit and listen to updates on, so the type of setting. I remember when the Tom Cruise film came out, I was quite excited about it, and equally disappointed, and reverted back to the album after it. Which was probably the last time I heard it.

There is a bit of nostalgia here, sure. But it still has mostly the same effect on me, I still enjoy it, and my imagination still does leaps listening to it. Which deserves a 9 from me.

Musical Version of War of the Worlds – Jeff Wayne

Whilst I don’t have the nostalgic connections to War of the Worlds that some have, even I remember hearing it at the time, and distinctly remember one of my friends singing one of the main lines from “The Eve of the War”. How could I have never listened to this and yet have “the chances of anything coming from mars are a million to one” stuck in my head all of these years?

I did enjoy this opening track, a good mix of the main theme, some nice flute, and the feeling of the scene being set by Richard Burton.

As “Horsewell Common and the Heat Ray” builds the momentum, I enjoyed whatever instrument that was introduced when the Martian pods started opening. Some processed guitar or harpsichord? I thought that the chugging bass did introduce some level of the menace that Mr Belfry had wanted to hear. Obviously, it’s more tuneful and entertaining than frightening, though.

I find myself conflicted at various points in listening to this. The main riff (movement?) is undeniably catchy, and yet it’s repeated so often throughout the 100+ minutes that it starts to wear itself out. Similarly, when Richard Burton’s character starts talking to David Essex in “The Artilleryman …..”, my gut reaction is that it’s unbelievably stilted and plummy. And yet, at the same time, it’s nice to be able to hear what they are saying and singing. It makes a refreshing change from all that mumbling we’ve had on 50% of the albums over the past three years. But then my mood reverses once again when I first hear the “oooohhhh laaaaa” sound that first appears halfway through this track. It becomes increasingly annoying with each subsequent appearance.

“Forever Autumn” has elements that I like but after that, it’s diminishing returns.

Jeff Wayne went on to write, “Matador”, the theme tune for ITV’s coverage of the 1982 World Cup in Spain. Just had a listen on YouTube, wow, that really does bring back memories. The nostalgia factor is really working for me now – have a listen and just like Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite, you’ll be right back in ’82.

Anyway, back to War of the Worlds; hard to score for me. I don’t really like listening to musicals on record. This feels way too long but as noted above, there are elements that I did enjoy. 6/10

However if you want to disagree with me and argue that Spirit of a Man musically conveys what the story is telling me the parson is experiencing feel then please feel free. Don't just tell me I'm wrong because some people like it. the thread has no reason to exist if we just boil it down to album sales

I assume you are making some broader points beyond my post as I wasn't aware I was doing any of that?

I hate book to film adaptations. Almost all of them. They leave very little to the imagination, and they pretty much never align with how I imagine them, the characters, the mood the events. They sometimes make big scenes of insignificant bits, leave out crucial parts altogether, and sometimes change bits, or worse, the tone. There are only two that I can stomach, thay haven't completely shat the bed.

Books to musical soundtracks, that's quite different though. Leaves space for imagination, and for me to fill in the gaps myself. Yes it can maybe sway the tone one way or another, but generally, lets me interpret it how I want to see it, and take my own experience from it, rather than digesting and regurgitating it back to me like the birds do.

That's what I love about this album. I once spoke of how with Scott Hutch's lyrics, I feel I can literally See what he is describing, be it a tiny helpless person in the arch of the church between a thumb and a forefinger, a cross section of a suburban home with all-knowing smiling skulls below the patio, or two bodies under a duvet. And this album has the same effect on me, although through the music rather than that words.

After the brief background narrative intro, once that music kicks in, I feel I can actually See the public of Earth, blissfully going about their daily lives. People dropping kids off at school, reading papers on busses, washing last night's dishes, and when that drum and panpipes kick in, large crowds crossing streets, goung to stadia to watch sports competitions, all completely unaware of the long planned upcoming mass of luminous gas soon to be hurtling towards them. All to the rhythm and melody of the track.

I could go through this song by song, but it would be one long read, and I think I've made my point. It is an album that I find not only musically interesting, but visually moving.

Felt like that when I first heard it, felt like that this time round. I can't now for the life of me remember which I heard first Wakeman or this. Both were maybe a decade after they came out, and I partly think Journey to the Centre was my first one. I remember thinking there was too much dialogue in this one in comparison, and the singing was unnecessary, but this time round, it didn't bother me and I think there is less of it than I built. I feel the same with the Gritterman, whish there was a version of the album without the narrative, the songs do enough themselves imo. But it is there, I have learned to accept it, and come ths first of December, I will be sticking it on like I do every year.

Interesting take on the lack of doom by Belfry, I can see that a bit, never seemed to really notice before. I loved the idea that you could just sit down to something, listen to it beginning to end, with no tv, and let yourself imagine it all unfolding. And I also felt that in the type of alien invasion environment communication would be disrupted anyway, with only low tech radio available to sit and listen to updates on, so the type of setting. I remember when the Tom Cruise film came out, I was quite excited about it, and equally disappointed, and reverted back to the album after it. Which was probably the last time I heard it.

There is a bit of nostalgia here, sure. But it still has mostly the same effect on me, I still enjoy it, and my imagination still does leaps listening to it. Which deserves a 9 from me.

I know this is not the movie thread but are we finding out the two?

As you've mentioned films/tv though the Tom Cruise one was maybe what you would expect, the last BBC adaptation of this which got panned a bit I quite enjoyed.

I liked the original album, and was intrigued by the idea when the album came out, but I got bored of most of the tracks as they progressed. It's worth buying/remembering just for the initial narration and the first minute or so of the opening track. 7 out of 10 for me, but, that voice of Richard Burton; timeless and magical.

I know this is not the movie thread but are we finding out the two?

As you've mentioned films/tv though the Tom Cruise one was maybe what you would expect, the last BBC adaptation of this which got panned a bit I quite enjoyed.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, and A Hologram For the King. Not saying they are particularly great films, just that they don't 'ruin' the book.

The worst has to be The Circle, my word was that bad. Think attempts at 1984 tend to fail.

Yes I was replying to you and wrapping in some other conversations I was in :) I'll bow out here for a while as I seem to be a little of an outlier and seems like 6 out of 10 posts are mine

Fair enough though only time will tell how much of an outlier you are.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, and A Hologram For the King. Not saying they are particularly great films, just that they don't 'ruin' the book.

The worst has to be The Circle, my word was that bad. Think attempts at 1984 tend to fail.

I liked Salmon Fishing In The Yemen but have never seen the film. A Hologram For The King I'd not even heard of the book but having a quick look sounds quite interesting.

I mentioned Remains of the Day a few posts back, whilst some liberties were taken with that I think it still gets the tone and essence of the book spot on. The Godfather is an obvious one for me even though the book and film aren't a facsimile, but given Puzo was involved in the screenplay that is probably counts cheating.

I've just been having a nosey at the musical, interesting and wild changes of cast over the years in the various versions.

Phil Lynot to Jimmy Nail
Julie Covington to one of the Sugababes
David Essex to one of the Strictly bods.

@BimboBob who was in it when you went to see it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.