The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I've just been having a nosey at the musical, interesting and wild changes of cast over the years in the various versions.

Phil Lynot to Jimmy Nail
Julie Covington to one of the Sugababes
David Essex to one of the Strictly bods.

@BimboBob who was in it when you went to see it?
Liam Neesen, Marti Pellow, Ricky Wilson and Jason Donovan originally and Liam Neeson, Newton Faulkner and the Donovan more recently.

I think it was a conscious decision to use disco as it was a popular musical genre at the time - clearly a commercial decision. Forever Autumn, according to Wikipedia, even had it's origins in an actual Lego commercial.

In my unconsidered rushed thinking this morning then that actually reinforced my point in the original review. Art has failed. When art is fundamentally about selling you may as well just give the same value to the Mona Lisa as you would a live, laugh, love poster.

So if the intention was to make a speedboat load of money and be successful then yes it's a success. It's a cynical and manipulative exercise though and not worthy of everyone's warm nostalgic feelings. It's Bullseye hosted by Anthony Hopkins.

I think the music is of its time and if there was a commercial decision, it was not to make the music extreme or too heavy: I am sure it was intended to be a pleasant repeatable listening experience. Wayne wanted it to be entertaining and he succeeded in that.

I think the music is of its time and if there was a commercial decision, it was not to make the music extreme or too heavy: I am sure it was intended to be a pleasant repeatable listening experience. Wayne wanted it to be entertaining and he succeeded in that.
And by extension failed to tell the story :) end of days is neither pleasant or repeatable. I agree however that it is entertaining. I'm going round in circles and I already said I'd bow out so other people get chance to comment. I fear I've already been an irritation

And by extension failed to tell the story :) end of days is neither pleasant or repeatable. I agree however that it is entertaining. I'm going round in circles and I already said I'd bow out so other people get chance to comment. I fear I've already been an irritation
Not irritating me.

You see, there we differ though. I think it does tell the story in a manner that millions (me included) enjoy but we are probably going to go round in circles.

I know this is not the movie thread but are we finding out the two?

As you've mentioned films/tv though the Tom Cruise one was maybe what you would expect, the last BBC adaptation of this which got panned a bit I quite enjoyed.

I quite enjoyed the Cruise version but Spielberg is my favourite movie director. It could have been better and I would have preferred it to have been set in the same time and place as the original but did not object to modernising it.

I quite enjoyed the Cruise version but Spielberg is my favourite movie director. It could have been better and I would have preferred it to have been set in the same time and place as the original but did not object to modernising it.
I've only seen that movie once but I was reminded of parts of it whilst listening such as the harbour attack. Knowing abit more of the source story made the Cruise version make a little more sense

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.