The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

And by extension failed to tell the story :) end of days is neither pleasant or repeatable. I agree however that it is entertaining. I'm going round in circles and I already said I'd bow out so other people get chance to comment. I fear I've already been an irritation
I don’t see you as an irritation and I don’t interpret other’s exchanges with you as being irritated either.
Like your reviews sometimes I feel you overthink what other may think.

I don’t claim to understand your train of thought all the time or even agree with the logic and conclusion but I find it mostly entertaining which coincidentally, probably matches as an analogy of the review of the album in question.

I think most people in here even when disagreeing with others keep the banter light and the slagging playful.

I certainly don’t take offence to anything said in here and I would think you shouldn’t either.

You are part of the charm of the place. There! That’s another backhanded compliment for you.

I quite enjoyed the Cruise version but Spielberg is my favourite movie director. It could have been better and I would have preferred it to have been set in the same time and place as the original but did not object to modernising it.

Oh I'll happily watch the Cruise version (though my taste in films is arguably a bit/very dodgy as I'm a fan of Deep Impact) but as you say it could have been better. I liked the visuals of the last BBC effort but the writing/adaptation was a bit all over the shop.

When there's something on the TV that doesn't quite (or even remotely) hold up to scrutiny but we nonetheless like to watch it, we use the term "an entertaining bit of hokum". It's probably unfair to characterise this album in that way but it's a little bit how I feel about it.

Reactions: OB1
I don’t see you as an irritation and I don’t interpret other’s exchanges with you as being irritated either.
Like your reviews sometimes I feel you overthink what other may think.

I don’t claim to understand your train of thought all the time or even agree with the logic and conclusion but I find it mostly entertaining which coincidentally, probably matches as an analogy of the review of the album in question.

I think most people in here even when disagreeing with others keep the banter light and the slagging playful.

I certainly don’t take offence to anything said in here and I would think you shouldn’t either.

You are part of the charm of the place. There! That’s another backhanded compliment for you.
I was just aware I'm writing big long posts and threatening to dominate the discussion :) slowing my pace to give other people a chance to comment

I was just aware I'm writing big long posts and threatening to dominate the discussion :) slowing my pace to give other people a chance to comment
I do that too after writing a couple of tomes in a row.
I’m just passing general comment now however. I think I gave enough analysis of the album and left no doubt of where I’m coming from in relation to it.

Well I listened to it in all its (cough) glory.
I was driving to my fishing lough which takes an hour or so, so perfect opportunity. No need for further listens. I won’t discover any subtlety that I missed first time.

With deference to the original review, and with respect to the happy memories enjoyed I will tone what I say down a little.

It was very bad. One hook repeated an naseum does not a good concept album make. It should really have been called DISCO IN SPACE. For some strange reason during some of it, I couldn’t shake the image of a minor celeb attempting the rumba on Strictly with this being played full blast by Dave Arch and his wonderful wonderful orchestra. Ray guns at the ready.
I’m really sorry I absolutely hated every note.
It’s difficult making a rock opera. You can count the good ones on one hand. Sadly this doesn’t come close to good. I will give it 1/10 and that is for the thoughtful review and Richard Burton (he should have been ashamed of himself). Please can we get some decent music on the next pick. That’s two in a row.

Well I listened to it in all its (cough) glory.
I was driving to my fishing lough which takes an hour or so, so perfect opportunity. No need for further listens. I won’t discover any subtlety that I missed first time.

With deference to the original review, and with respect to the happy memories enjoyed I will tone what I say down a little.

It was very bad. One hook repeated an naseum does not a good concept album make. It should really have been called DISCO IN SPACE. For some strange reason during some of it, I couldn’t shake the image of a minor celeb attempting the rumba on Strictly with this being played full blast by Dave Arch and his wonderful wonderful orchestra. Ray guns at the ready.
I’m really sorry I absolutely hated every note.
It’s difficult making a rock opera. You can count the good ones on one hand. Sadly this doesn’t come close to good. I will give it 1/10 and that is for the thoughtful review and Richard Burton (he should have been ashamed of himself). Please can we get some decent music on the next pick. That’s two in a row.
It’s like after the first wave of attack and the onslaught that sends us all scurrying into hiding.
You hear a lull and poke your head above the parapet to find, you are not alone.
There’s Sadds over there.

It’s like after the first wave of attack and the onslaught that sends us all scurrying into hiding.
You hear a lull and poke your head above the parapet to find, you are not alone.
There’s Sadds over there.
By gum, I bet we won the war. If the Martians heard that album they would be other side of Jupiter before you could say warp speed seven capn.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.