The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I should provide my review having talked enough already about the album.

I am not one of the people with a nostalgic attachment to this record because I actually avoided it back when it was released. I do though in fact have a vinyl copy in the record collection that belongs to my wife. And some bits of the album are familiar from radio etc.

I purchased the cd in 2005 or 6 when a remastered version was released. Not sure what finally drew me into adding it to the collection but I generally prefer finding old stuff that I’ve not heard to newer releases.

The album is a bit of an anomaly, quite unique in many ways. The only thing I have that is at all similar is Rick Wakeman’s Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

I was surprised by how much I liked it and how easy it was to listen to, despite telling the same story over and over but then doesn’t every recorded song, it’s just that here, in addition to singing, you get Liz Taylor’s XX (double ex) deep, rich and resonant speaking voice, with its Welsh musicality and smooth, velvet like cadence that almost hypnotises the listener.

The choice of singers and musicians is not too shabby either. Julie Covington is outstanding and I am a big fan of Chris Thompson’s vocals; plus a huge Thin Lizzy fan. Chris Spedding and Herbie Flowers on guitar and bass were among the cream of English session musicians.

The sound is big and endearingly and comfortingly 1970’s. It also has a whiff of John Barry’s TV and movie soundtrack style.

The album does have atmosphere and I think the tone is often appropriate, with a few faintly disturbing sounds e.g. in Dead London but it is a sc-if and not a horror soundtrack.

Maybe it goes in the guilty pleasure box but I have no guilt about what I listen to anyway.

I’ll stick with my opening gambit of 8/10 because it could be better but it is nightly enjoyable.

I had it on in the kitchen earlier when MrsB came in from work just as Spirit of a Man started. She said "what's this? Is it from the 70's?" She is very astute. I explained what it was. She rolled her eyes

A few minutes later I asked her if she preferred Soul-Junk or this. She wanted to know why I was asking so I told her that someone on the internet wanted to know. She replied that she was surprised people thought I had a wife as most people making friends on the internet are sad lonely men. She thought it was an intrusive question to ask. She finally relented and said she'd rather listen to neither. Then she asked how many times I'd already listened to it. I replied that I'd already reviewed it.

We are now listening to something else
Astute is right.
She has my number.

Can't guarantee that!! Lol
I have generally stayed clear of my favourite music 70's/80's rock, as I tend to think it maybe all a bit 'samey' to those who aren't already fans......and also try to pick something that most (once all) have never heard before. Which has been kind of indie...ish.
Well next week, it's something well out of my comfort zone, I would bet that if people had to guess the 'nominee' not a single person would think it was me ;)
Boo.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, and A Hologram For the King. Not saying they are particularly great films, just that they don't 'ruin' the book.

The worst has to be The Circle, my word was that bad. Think attempts at 1984 tend to fail.

Salmon Fishing is just a good film, haven't read the book.

The Circle is terrible, even Hanks can't save it although he tries. Didn't know it was a book!

The Circle is terrible, even Hanks can't save it although he tries. Didn't know it was a book!

That's the most annoying bit, the book is excellent! They cheesey -ify it so much in the film and change the ending, and the whole tone.

The book was also written before the launch of a few social media functions, and transport offerings, so was a bit foreboding at the time.

That's the most annoying bit, the book is excellent! They cheesey -ify it so much in the film and change the ending, and the whole tone.

The book was also written before the launch of a few social media functions, and transport offerings, so was a bit foreboding at the time.

At the risk/certainty of distracting from the thread, the casting is poor. I think Watson could hold the part with an appropriate co-star but Gillan/Boyega are quite limited in ability (IMO).

It's a while since I saw it, but I have the recollection of almost being a plot by numbers with the utopian version of a hi-tech environment needing something to subvert it more.

At the risk/certainty of distracting from the thread, the casting is poor. I think Watson could hold the part with an appropriate co-star but Gillan/Boyega are quite limited in ability (IMO).

It's a while since I saw it, but I have the recollection of almost being a plot by numbers with the utopian version of a hi-tech environment needing something to subvert it more.

True but there is a bit more wrong with it. But as you say not worth distracting the thread over, the book is well worth a read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.