The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

That . . . . doesn’t bode well for me :)
I’ll play the non extended version and pay it more attention, but I’ll be honest, I get the eclectic element that your review highlights, but really didn’t get any element of innovation from it as a1984 album that you imply regarding other American bands being influenced.

I could go into my first impression which is totally subjective as I keep saying about any music, but I think it would be fairer to play it again and see if the feeling is the same.

I think maybe you built it up too much for me, but that’s the common denominator of all these kind of music threads. We are all guilty of lauding our own taste and favourites and rightly so. That is the point of these threads and you and any of the chosen contributors should be praised for your openness and honesty of showing your own memories and emotions behind each piece of music.

We all think we are being objective in our own analysis without your memory of it, but in reality we have our own subjective influences forming our view of it, which is why I shy away from offering scores in these threads.

If you like it you like it. What anyone else thinks doesn’t matter.

If you go to the band name, then discography, it should give you a choice between the original version and the expanded one for all their records.
Being a cheapskate I have a modified free version of Spotify with no ads, unlimited skips and an amoled black theme. I can only see the extended version with an additional seven tracks. An outtake of 20th Century Boy is one of them.

Being a cheapskate I have a modified free version of Spotify with no ads, unlimited skips and an amoled black theme. I can only see the extended version with an additional seven tracks. An outtake of 20th Century Boy is one of them.
Didn’t think the cover was anything compared to T-Rex and I’m not particularly a Marc Bolan fan.

I’ll play the non extended version and pay it more attention, but I’ll be honest, I get the eclectic element that your review highlights, but really didn’t get any element of innovation from it as a1984 album that you imply regarding other American bands being influenced.

I could go into my first impression which is totally subjective as I keep saying about any music, but I think it would be fairer to play it again and see if the feeling is the same.

I think maybe you built it up too much for me, but that’s the common denominator of all these kind of music threads. We are all guilty of lauding our own taste and favourites and rightly so. That is the point of these threads and you and any of the chosen contributors should be praised for your openness and honesty of showing your own memories and emotions behind each piece of music.

We all think we are being objective in our own analysis without your memory of it, but in reality we have our own subjective influences forming our view of it, which is why I shy away from offering scores in these threads.

If you like it you like it. What anyone else thinks doesn’t matter.
I think a lyric sheet helps. There are some great turns of phrase. And the style shifts as metaphor for teenage mood shifts is I think really spot on. The mix of deeply-felt songs vs throwaways (who covers “Black Diamond”???) is also a lot of fun.

Admittedly I am not sure I think this particular record was as influential as the band ended up being over its life — but this record gave hope to garage bands in an era of white arena rock and keyboard new wave (and mega artists like Springsteen, Michael Jackson and Prince, plus The Police and U2) from whence many other post-punk innovators sprung.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.