The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I think a lyric sheet helps. There are some great turns of phrase. And the style shifts as metaphor for teenage mood shifts is I think really spot on. The mix of deeply-felt songs vs throwaways (who covers “Black Diamond”???) is also a lot of fun.

Admittedly I am not sure I think this particular record was as influential as the band ended up being over its life — but this record gave hope to garage bands in an era of white arena rock and keyboard new wave from whence many other post-punk innovators sprung.
Foggy, I’m definitely not trying to piss on your chips and I will listen to it and try to digest the lyrics more, as I do love a good turn of phrase. An image conveyed in one or two lines that a thousand words could do justice to, is right up my alley.
But that partly was the problem. I know it’s post punk but I thought the production on it was poor. I had to fiddle around on the playback option with the graphic equaliser to find acceptable levels of acoustic and bass and treble, so I could make out the singing and get any appreciation of the instruments. Maybe that’s down to my speaker but other stuff sounds fine.
I also get what you’re saying regarding American white arena rock etc in this era. I just couldn’t have anything to do with any of that genre at the time and haven’t mellowed to it nostalgically either.
For all the slagging I give Morrissey in here I was delighted with the likes of the Smiths and other such British bands changing the influence in music on this side of the Atlantic. I was getting into the likes of Talking Heads from your side of the water.
However, musically I heard everything from Lou Reed/Velvet Underground to Stiff Little Fingers to the New York Dolls and others in here, all done before and sounding better. That’s what I was getting at regarding innovation.
Now that is where I am being totally subjective while trying to sound objective, I suppose.

Anyway, I love a good lyric and will give it a proper second listen, but initially don’t get any comparison with Quadrophenia either, which I love.

I thought it was better than the original.

However, I hated the original and T Rex generally.
Well, I’m going to admit my darkest musical secret that will probably get me thread banned by both @BlueHammer85 and @RobMCFC . . . .

Here goes . . .

I like The Power Station’s version of “Get It On” better than the original.

There. I said it.

Note: I really like the original. But for some reason the cover just blew my doors off and is right up there in the top 5 of my guilty pleasures.

It was nice knowing all of you.

Well, I’m going to admit my darkest musical secret that will probably get me thread banned by both @BlueHammer85 and @RobMCFC . . . .

Here goes . . .

There. I said it.

Note: I really like the original. But for some reason the cover just blew my doors off and is right up there in the top 5 of my guilty pleasures.

I’m not a glam rock fan in general so never really got into Bolan either.

Here goes . . .

There. I said it.

Loved T-Rex loads, big fan of glam rock. Absolutely fine to prefer a cover version - it was the ‘hate T Rex in general’ that was worthy of the ban for me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.