The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

The Album Review Club – Week #80

Siren – Roxy Music (1975)

Selected by FogBlueInSanFran

MC02ODkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Well done to newcomer @Out on blue 6 who guessed Roxy Music’s Siren. To answer some of my other clues -- 5 of their records are in Colin (not Colon! LOL) Larkin’s top 1,000 including the four previous to Siren. Bryan Ferry and Andy Mackay are still in the band, with Phil Manzanera and Paul Thompson also drifting in and out. It was Brian Eno -- he of ambient music and hundreds of famous records-produced fame -- who left, and it’s Jerry Hall -- Bryan Ferry’s former girlfriend, later Mick Jagger’s and until recently Rupert Murdoch’s wife -- who graces the cover.

When I think back on my life as I near 60, there have only been three women who really swept me away totally. Each one has a record that reminds me of them. This record is the best of that lot and the most important to me because it reminds me the most of Wendy, my wife of 31 years.

It isn’t because she loves it, though she likes Roxy Music fine. We have a shared love of other artists (Sugar, Fountains of Wayne, Bruce Cockburn, The Roches, Tom Petty, Everclear) and some distinct differences of opinion on others (The Grateful Dead -- she loves, I don’t -- and Superchunk -- I love, she does not).

It’s just because the initial journey of our relationship mirrors the record -– we met, I fell in hopelessly love, she broke up with me, I was devastated and I mourned and went through the five stages of grief.

Very, very, VERY happily for me, later she “came to her senses” (LOL) and now we’ve been together for decades, raised two great kids and will be empty-nesters in a year or so, with an eventual retirement for me and hopefully a few more decades traveling and dinners and hiking and maybe grandkids and fun together for us.

Anyhow, beyond all that, I think this is Roxy’s finest and most interesting record anyhow. It stretches the boundaries more than their others. There’s pop, there’s balladeering, there’s alt noise, there’s pace, there’s rock and there’s a consistent theme right through from start to finish. I do love records that tell a story, and this one is of a relationship with all its ups and downs.

Like relationships, I love this record almost more for its collection of moments than for the songs. @threespires quite rightly pointed out the opening of “Love Is The Drug” with its footsteps, racing car and sax -- it starts the record like a relationship starts -- with a zoooooom. “She Sells” with its Broadway musical-like opening morphing into almost funk guitar. "Both Ends Burning" which really sounds like a firework fizzing out. "Sentimental Fool" going from feedback guitar to almost bluesy love ballad. "Whirlwind" doing a quite credible job emulating one sonically -- probably the most kinetic tune on the record. The swelling chorus of “Nightingale” is really uplifting too -- almost operatic. And the closer “Just Another High” does a classic Bryan Ferry job of both rationalizing away the pain, and admitting it still hurts like hell. And all along, like Foo Fighters' The Colour And The Shape, telling the story of a love affair, from explosive beginning to wistful end. This is the record heart-on-his-sleeve-but-outwardly-too-cool-for-school loverboy Bryan Ferry was truly born to sing.

Roxy came on the scene for me with Flesh + Blood (1980) -– I’ve always been a sucker for dance music, and “Same Old Scene” rang my chimes. Then Avalon followed (in 1982, I think), and while quieter, I liked it too, from “More Than This” on through the whole record. From there I went backwards and at one point I owned every record (or cassette tape in those days) they did.

There aren’t many bands I can point to where I own ALL the catalogue, and there isn’t a bad record in the bunch, not one. The fact that they didn’t make the Bluemoon poll of top 100 bands was IMO the most egregious (and dumb) omission by the hoi polloi (and a really surprising one given the Brit count here!). I’m the first to admit that unlike many Roxy fans, I like their later stuff more than their earliest, but I’d say that about Genesis too, and a few other bands. It doesn't matter the order -- this one sounds the best, and means the most to me.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
The Album Review Club – Week #80

Siren – Roxy Music (1975)

Selected by FogBlueInSanFran

MC02ODkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Well done to newcomer @Out on blue 6 who guessed Roxy Music’s Siren. To answer some of my other clues -- 5 of their records are in Colin (not Colon! LOL) Larkin’s top 1,000 including the four previous to Siren. Bryan Ferry and Andy Mackay are still in the band, with Phil Manzanera and Paul Thompson also drifting in and out. It was Brian Eno -- he of ambient music and hundreds of famous records-produced fame -- who left, and it’s Jerry Hall -- Bryan Ferry’s former girlfriend, later Mick Jagger’s and until recently Rupert Murdoch’s wife -- who graces the cover.

When I think back on my life as I near 60, there have only been three women who really swept me away totally. Each one has a record that reminds me of them. This record is the best of that lot and the most important to me because it reminds me the most of Wendy, my wife of 31 years.

It isn’t because she loves it, though she likes Roxy Music fine. We have a shared love of other artists (Sugar, Fountains of Wayne, Bruce Cockburn, The Roches, Tom Petty, Everclear) and some distinct differences of opinion on others (The Grateful Dead -- she loves, I don’t -- and Superchunk -- I love, she does not).

It’s just because the initial journey of our relationship mirrors the record -– we met, I fell in hopelessly love, she broke up with me, I was devastated and I mourned and went through the five stages of grief.

Very, very, VERY happily for me, later she “came to her senses” (LOL) and now we’ve been together for decades, raised two great kids and will be empty-nesters in a year or so, with an eventual retirement for me and hopefully a few more decades traveling and dinners and hiking and maybe grandkids and fun together for us.

Anyhow, beyond all that, I think this is Roxy’s finest and most interesting record anyhow. It stretches the boundaries more than their others. There’s pop, there’s balladeering, there’s alt noise, there’s pace, there’s rock and there’s a consistent theme right through from start to finish. I do love records that tell a story, and this one is of a relationship with all its ups and downs.

Like relationships, I love this record almost more for its collection of moments than for the songs. @threespires quite rightly pointed out the opening of “Love Is The Drug” with its footsteps, racing car and sax -- it starts the record like a relationship starts -- with a zoooooom. “She Sells” with its Broadway musical-like opening morphing into almost funk guitar. "Both Ends Burning" which really sounds like a firework fizzing out. "Sentimental Fool" going from feedback guitar to almost bluesy love ballad. "Whirlwind" doing a quite credible job emulating one sonically -- probably the most kinetic tune on the record. The swelling chorus of “Nightingale” is really uplifting too -- almost operatic. And the closer “Just Another High” does a classic Bryan Ferry job of both rationalizing away the pain, and admitting it still hurts like hell. And all along, like Foo Fighters' The Colour And The Shape, telling the story of a love affair, from explosive beginning to wistful end. This is the record heart-on-his-sleeve-but-outwardly-too-cool-for-school loverboy Bryan Ferry was truly born to sing.

Roxy came on the scene for me with Flesh + Blood (1980) -– I’ve always been a sucker for dance music, and “Same Old Scene” rang my chimes. Then Avalon followed (in 1982, I think), and while quieter, I liked it too, from “More Than This” on through the whole record. From there I went backwards and at one point I owned every record (or cassette tape in those days) they did.

There aren’t many bands I can point to where I own ALL the catalogue, and there isn’t a bad record in bunch, not one. The fact that they didn’t make the Bluemoon poll of top 100 bands was IMO the most egregious (and dumb) omission by the hoi polloi (and a really surprising one given the Brit count here!). I’m the first to admit that unlike many Roxy fans, I like their later stuff more than their earliest, but I’d say that about Genesis too, and a few other bands. It doesn't matter the order -- this one sounds the best, and means the most to me.

Happy listening!
Great write-up and good that you've picked an album that has personal meaning to you and Wendy.

I’ve listened to it a couple of times and so far have to say that for all that it’s slick and clever it’s leaving me cold. Although Love is the Drug is a great song which I was already familiar with. Maybe increased familiarity will warm me to the rest. Both times autoplay has brought Talk Talk up next and they have been the find of this thread for me so far.

I’ve listened to it a couple of times and so far have to say that for all that it’s slick and clever it’s leaving me cold. Although Love is the Drug is a great song which I was already familiar with. Maybe increased familiarity will warm me to the rest. Both times autoplay has brought Talk Talk up next and they have been the find of this thread for me so far.
No thanks needed journolud.

For some inexplicable reason I never bought a Roxy album on vinyl even though I saw both Bryan Ferry as a solo artist and Roxy Music live in the 70’s.

I did buy “Love is a Drug” as a single (It’s in the attic with the rest of my seven inches).

I do have all RM’s albums on cd.

Like Fog, I prefer the later albums to the early ones but they all probably hover around the 8/10 mark and that is how I am scoring this one.

The opener is features one of the best openings to any album; it’s not my favourite Roxy track but it’s not far off. ”Dim the lights, you can guess the rest” is one of my favourite song lies.

I must call out the great work by Eddie Jobson and John Gustafson, alongside the band’s permanent members.

For some inexplicable reason I never bought a Roxy album on vinyl even though I saw both Bryan Ferry as a solo artist and Roxy Music live in the 70’s.

I did buy “Love is a Drug” as a single (It’s in the attic with the rest of my seven inches).

I do have all RM’s albums on cd.

Like Fog, I prefer the later albums to the early ones but they all probably hover around the 8/10 mark and that is how I am scoring this one.

The opener is features one of the best openings to any album; it’s not my favourite Roxy track but it’s not far off. ”Dim the lights, you can guess the rest” is one of my favourite song lies.

I must call out the great work by Eddie Jobson and John Gustafson, alongside the band’s permanent members.
“But marriages made in heaven /
Can they survive in this life?”

Lyrics on this record are across the board the most interesting they did I think.

Reactions: OB1

Gustafson is great on this record, in many ways he makes Love is the Drug.

Roxy went through bass players like Zsa Zsa Gabor went through husbands.
They used so many some don't even get a mention in the list on their Wikipedia page!

I keep meaning to read up on why they took the approach they did, but I never get round to it.

Siren – Roxy Music

“Love Is The Drug” sounds familiar, and in fact very much like a Duran Duran song that I can’t recall the name of (but granted, this was a good decade earlier). A good start to the album.

“Sentimental Fool” features an interesting musical introduction – the buzzing guitar over the soft piano chords – but when the vocals start, Bryan Ferry’s wobbly voice is a bit too weird for my tastes.

This vocal eccentricity continues on “Whirlwind” – I think this kind of sound is what stopped me getting into music earlier than I did. When I heard music played at school or wherever, I thought every band dressed in weird clothes I wouldn’t be seen dead in and sang like they were trying to out-weird everybody else!

There are nice instrumental touches throughout the album: the compressed piano and then guitar that opens “Just Another High”; the short harmonica piece to accompany the piano at the start of “End of The Line” and the violin later in the song. The piano chords at the end of this song are very pleasing. Elsewhere there’s some nice the sax, some pleasant guitar lines and the bass is listenable throughout.

For me, it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Art-rock isn’t for me, although I did explore Split Enz because of my love for Crowded House. (Interesting that RM guitarist Phil Manzanera produced one of their early albums, but it’s their more tuneful songs that I enjoy over their more avant-garde output).

Apart from Bryan Ferry’s wobbly voice, there was nothing terrible here, and I could quite easily have it on in the background, but it doesn’t have any songs demanding a repeat listen. The parts of the album that I did enjoy were the instrumental bits and pieces that I’ve mentioned rather than the songs themselves, but I think it’s worth a 6/10.

Siren – Roxy Music

“Love Is The Drug” sounds familiar, and in fact very much like a Duran Duran song that I can’t recall the name of (but granted, this was a good decade earlier). A good start to the album.

“Sentimental Fool” features an interesting musical introduction – the buzzing guitar over the soft piano chords – but when the vocals start, Bryan Ferry’s wobbly voice is a bit too weird for my tastes.

This vocal eccentricity continues on “Whirlwind” – I think this kind of sound is what stopped me getting into music earlier than I did. When I heard music played at school or wherever, I thought every band dressed in weird clothes I wouldn’t be seen dead in and sang like they were trying to out-weird everybody else!

There are nice instrumental touches throughout the album: the compressed piano and then guitar that opens “Just Another High”; the short harmonica piece to accompany the piano at the start of “End of The Line” and the violin later in the song. The piano chords at the end of this song are very pleasing. Elsewhere there’s some nice the sax, some pleasant guitar lines and the bass is listenable throughout.

For me, it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Art-rock isn’t for me, although I did explore Split Enz because of my love for Crowded House. (Interesting that RM guitarist Phil Manzanera produced one of their early albums, but it’s their more tuneful songs that I enjoy over their more avant-garde output).

Apart from Bryan Ferry’s wobbly voice, there was nothing terrible here, and I could quite easily have it on in the background, but it doesn’t have any songs demanding a repeat listen. The parts of the album that I did enjoy were the instrumental bits and pieces that I’ve mentioned rather than the songs themselves, but I think it’s worth a 6/10.
One of my most beloved records is Split Enz’ Waiata. “History Never Repeats” is one of my all-time favo(u)rite songs. It’s funny — I never thought of them as art rock. For “Siren”, I agree with you that’s it’s more the sonics in general and the flourishes that make this special, but I like the variety of tempos and styles and the strong thematic too. Thanks for reviewing as always!

One of my most beloved records is Split Enz’ Waiata. “History Never Repeats” is one of my all-time favo(u)rite songs. It’s funny — I never thought of them as art rock. For “Siren”, I agree with you that’s it’s more the sonics in general and the flourishes that make this special, but I like the variety of tempos and styles and the strong thematic too. Thanks for reviewing as always!
Yeah, "History Never Repeats" is a great song - an early Neil Finn effort that's a bit more new wave than his Crowded House output, but you can see where his songwriting was headed.

Apart from True Colours, I've not listened to a full album of theirs. I've got a best-of that contains a right old mix of shouty art-rock/new wave and more melodic stuff.

Although Sirens wasn't really for me, I do enjoy listening to things that are outside my zone - it gives you a better feel for what works and what doesn't, and I did enjoy some of the instrumental bits.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.