The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Is the rest of it any good? ;)

In fairness I cannot think of a single band that do opening tracks better than Roxy Music did in the early part of their career. The opening track on every one of their first 5 albums is an absolute banger.

In fact, from their second album For Your Pleasure through to this one is imo one of the greatest sequences of LPs in popular music.

Going to be really interested to see what anyone not that familiar with them makes of this.

Last edited:
In fairness I cannot think of a single band that do opening tracks better than Roxy Music did in the early part of their career. The opening track on every one of their first 5 albums is an absolute banger.

In fact, from their second album For Your Pleasure through to this one, is imo one of the greatest sequences of LPs in popular music.

Going to be really interested to see what anyone not that familiar with them makes of this.
I'm one of those not familiar with them apart from the odd single. Looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about.

Remember when I said that Foggy's Fountains of Wayne nomination had inspired this week's choice? Well the scores for the two albums are very close. Whilst FOW scored 6.07, Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend scored 6.09 from 11 votes.
It seems that we've found the PowerPop rating, and it isn't that high!

Anyway, as somebody has already guessed @FogBlueInSanFran 's nomination, it's as you were.

Same here

Looking forward to Foggy's review and why he choose this album in particular.

I think this pick will throw up some interesting discussion both for people familiar with their back catalogue and those not. In some ways it'll be a bit like SW's 10CC pick, a pretty huge band that most will be familiar with their singles but not necessarily their albums.

Excellent choice Foggy, this really takes me back to my teenage years.I saw RM at the Kings Hall Belle Vue back in 1975 touring this very album.I was a massive RM and BF fan, even to extent of dressing in faux U.S. army gear lol and going to clubs like PiPs and Listening to music in the Roxy/Bowie room then go on the pull in the soul room, great days for a sixteen year old !

Sorry Rob, I was another who was a bit too busy to score the last album. Apologies :(

I'm familiar with Roxy Music's singles and I love them, but for some reason I'd never listened to a full album. So Siren was the first one I've listened to by them.

I thought it was excellent. The opening track is obviously brilliant and sets the whole album up. The songs are clever, quirky, different and yet all sound like they belong together. There is something about these bands in the 70s that were so open to experimenting and trying something a big different which I think we've lost today. If Siren is from 1975, it sounds worlds apart from, say, Avalon just a few years later.

I really liked this album and I will definitely give their other albums a listen.

It's a solid 8/10 from me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.