The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Odyssey Number Five - Powderfinger

I’ve written of my love of Australian artists many times on this thread, but although I’d heard of Powderfinger, I’ve never heard their music. I’m pleased to report that I enjoyed Odyssey Number Five, but there are some caveats.

“Waiting for the Sun” is a great opening to the album: nice mid-tempo rocker, not too hard, but it has a 60s psychedelic feel. "My Happiness" and "The Metre" are pleasant enough, displaying Beatles-esque jangle, chord changes and harmonies (OK, despite what I said the other, this is where they do come a little close to the Crowded House sound)."Like a Dog" ups the tempo again, which is a good move because it makes the transition to "Odyssey #5" all the more appealing. I like the guitar and atmosphere on this, and it acts as an interesting segue to the second half of the album.

"Up & Down & Back Again" starts slow and builds in a satisfying way, the guitar getting stronger, but then I was disappointed with both "My Kind of Scene" and "These Days", which were filler at best. "We Should Be Together Now" good old-fashioned rattling drums and rumbling bass with a great guitar crescendo. One of the best on the album.

"Thrilloilogy" – Wow, this is a song of two halves. An average song that sounds like it’s going nowhere suddenly has a nice mid-song break: the bass rumbles, there’s a few background noises, then it’s mostly quiet except for a piano. Then some background vocals kick in. It’s a song of a few well-executed left turns and all the better for it.

The acoustics and mellotron-type sound on "Whatever Makes You Happy" bring the album to a close.

On the back of this album, I listened to one of their earlier efforts that had been noted as a good example of their sound, both by @mancity111 and some review I was reading. This album, Double Allergic, was a fine listen, a bit more guitar-heavy, and it suggests that with their later efforts Powderfinger were aiming for a more commercial audience, something our Australian correspondent mancity111 also noted. Nothing wrong with that: you can see the same pattern with earlier Aussie bands like INXS and Midnight Oil.

Whilst Odyssey Number Five is generally a satisfying listen, it does sound like too many of the edges have been rounded off compared to the band’s earlier sound. It’s a shame because like the Hoodoo Gurus, it seems as if Powderfinger are a solid act that never made a big splash outside of Australia.

Every band from that neck of the woods that has made the leap to international attention has something about them: Nick Cave peddles a unique brand of dark storytelling; Midnight Oil had a long career mixing hard rock and politics (mostly Australian), but they widened their songwriting to encompass ecological matters and were rewarded with a growing audience overseas; INXS transitioned from new wave to dance-rock and, thanks to the appeal of a world class front man, became world class; Crowded House wrote songs that anybody could whistle and had chart success on both sides of the Atlantic, and AC/DC never changed but never had to!

For all their qualities, Powerfinger fall between all these stools – they don’t have a USP that marks them out as different. However, on the evidence of this album and a few other listens, they do make rock music that is satisfying and very listenable. 7/10

Last edited:
It's a very generic album. Not much is done differently to other bands of the same ilk. As others have said there is no real USP. I quite liked Waiting For The Sun. Nicely structured song with very good vocals. The Meter is another song I liked. Once again more restrained vocals which seem to suit his range. The rest seem to blend into each other. Thrilloilogy had something a bit different in it but that seems to very far from the norm.

Hard to score. This sort of rock is not really my cup of tea. It's once again an album you can put on in the background and get on with other stuff which is not how I like my music. I want a jolt. A start. Something to come crashing in. A hook. This album had none of this. At least to my ears.

A bang average 5/10

It's a very generic album. Not much is done differently to other bands of the same ilk. As others have said there is no real USP. I quite liked Waiting For The Sun. Nicely structured song with very good vocals. The Meter is another song I liked. Once again more restrained vocals which seem to suit his range. The rest seem to blend into each other. Thrilloilogy had something a bit different in it but that seems to very far from the norm.

Hard to score. This sort of rock is not really my cup of tea. It's once again an album you can put on in the background and get on with other stuff which is not how I like my music. I want a jolt. A start. Something to come crashing in. A hook. This album had none of this. At least to my ears.
I just listened to the beginning of "Waiting for the Sun" again and to me, what you are looking for: "a jolt", "a start", "something to come crashing in", I believe that's there. Maybe a bit more cowbell would've done it? ;-)

I also feel their lyrics are being underestimated a bit too, but that's probably just me.

A bang average 5/10

ODYSSEY NUMBER FIVE

Particularly interesting choice for me, I bought Bernard Fanning’s first solo album ‘Tea and Sympathy’ over ten years ago and love it, I then discovered my wife had this album from when she used to go to OZ, neither of us listened to it much back then so it was good to give it a proper hearing.
As other have said there’s lots of influences ,Crowded House being the obvious reference to those of us non fervent CH fans.I can’t hear much Radiohead on this but ‘My Happiness’ starts with the usual Oasis background strumming and
‘Like a dog ‘sounds like 90s Bowie which I didn’t much care for.
I liked a lot of the album and I’ll probably play the odd track again, however I much prefer T & S.

I listened to the Anniversary Edition with the bonus tracks and some interesting covers,coincidentally including their version of ‘Let Him Dangle ‘ by EC which I put forward on last weeks playlist thread .

Nothing spectacular but an enjoyable listen

7/10

ODYSSEY NUMBER FIVE

Particularly interesting choice for me, I bought Bernard Fanning’s first solo album ‘Tea and Sympathy’ over ten years ago and love it, I then discovered my wife had this album from when she used to go to OZ, neither of us listened to it much back then so it was good to give it a proper hearing.

Ok, I know "Tea and Sympathy" is a common phrase, but it's also uncanny how Powderfinger's lead singer has a solo album title and Jars of Clay have a song title of the same. Just sayin'...

Thanks, will have to check that album out. It's described as "country-folk-alternative blend", so no wonder @Mancitydoogle was already on it! ;-)

Well I gave it another couple of listens today. Still finding it a rather bland listen. Nothing really stands out, maybe as someone suggested their earlier sound is a bit less mainstream but not too bothered to find out.
I did get the Radiohead edge to his vocals - The Metre being a good example. Better than some recent albums so I’ll push to a 5/10.
I’ll stick to Wolfmother for my Aussie rock fix

I think it’s mostly been said in other reviews, particularly Rob’s.

As such I think it’s decent without having any real standout qualities. It does contain a lot of influences and reference points which were enjoyable but it’s possibly a bit too well-mannered for its own good. At times I did wonder if that was because the lead vocals might not be able to able to cope with a more full-frontal approach.

After a favourable initial impression, on repeated listens it began to more wash over me in quite a pleasant fashion but without giving me something to really grab onto. I categorise much of this as guitar driven pop rather than out and out rock, which I personally don’t have a problem with at all but it just seemed to lack some guts. Despite significant differences, for some reason I kept comparing them to both Crowded House and Gin Blossoms and thinking that though Powderfinger are probably more sophisticated than a band like GB they could do with some of their vitality to make up for the fact they are not as sophisticated as a band like CW.

7/10

Well I gave it another couple of listens today. Still finding it a rather bland listen. Nothing really stands out, maybe as someone suggested their earlier sound is a bit less mainstream but not too bothered to find out.
I did get the Radiohead edge to his vocals - The Metre being a good example. Better than some recent albums so I’ll push to a 5/10.
I’ll stick to Wolfmother for my Aussie rock fix
Cowbell heaven!

I'm busy after 2.30 PM this afternoon (9.30 EST) so I'm hoping to do the round-up for this week's album before then and handover to @Black&White&BlueMoon Town for his first album selection.

So early scoring today would be appreciated.

For those with Apple music this album has a load of comments by the band and extensive notes on each song sitting alongside it.
"we were really brutal with songs", Bernard Fanning tells Apple music. "The bar was really high; we never liked the 'album filler' idea."...

I don't suppose there are many bands who would admit to filler on their albums, surely they all mean it at the time. But it's a bold statement nonetheless and raised the expectations with me that what I was going to hear was, if not classic after classic, well a consistently strong suite of songs.

It started well enough. In fact the first three songs all good if not outstanding. Building up nicely though with each slightly more memorable than the one before. But then...

Like a Dog is a dog of a song. A total change of tone and quality really interrupted the momentum and Odyssey Number Five did nothing to restore it. Filler? A marker for the second half of the album? Pointless?

Up and Down and Back Again. A prediction for how the album was going to go? Are we returning to the promise of the first three tracks with the rest of the album? Well, yes and no. In itself a decent track but I'm not sold on the vocals.

My Kind of Scene could have been a great track but, well I'm being pedanctic here probably but mangling a phrase "bad to worse" into "worse to bad". Is it ironic? Or just really poor lyrical gymnastics. Either way I don't like that. I know some great bands and songs aren't exactly knwon for their lyrical genius but well, decent as the tune is it just annoyed me.

From there it petered out a bit. Nothing else annoyed me but nothing else grabbed me.

If we are making comparisons to Crowded House then it's a no contest. Each time I listened to this in the car and left it on autoplay the first track was a CH one. Alright I'm familiar with them but the step up in class is noticeable. The main thing this album did for me was make me want to listen to Woodface. Find the filler on that if you can.

I got touches of Oasis of all people, but Oasis from when they were beginning to lose it a bit. It was the sense of trying too hard for something and falling a bit flat.

Overall, not bad but didn't maintain the early promise. If the momentum of the first three tracks had continued then we could have had a really good album here. As it was it struggled to regain it. It's a 6 from me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.