The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Powderfinger - Odysseey Number Five

Good pick this as it’s instantly catchy and just a solid rock/pop album.
So many ‘chart sounding’ songs that it would be hard to find the ones that wouldn’t have been released as singles but certainly ‘My Happiness’ and ‘These Days’ must of been.
Lot of comparisons to various bands/artists from James Blunt to Embrace and a splash of Foo Fighters/REM.
I find like most Australian bands that I’ve heard (Crowded house, Midnight Oil and Powderfinger) that they slightly lack the authenticity and grit of British Bands.
But overall, it was a pleasant listen, some nice hooks and catchy songs albeit a bit light and lyrically weak. I’ll give a generous…

7/10

Last edited:
The main thing this album did for me was make me want to listen to Woodface. Find the filler on that if you can.
Amen to that.

I find like most Australian bands that I’ve heard (Crowded house, Midnight Oil and Powderfinger) that they slightly lack the authenticity and grit of British Bands.
Midnight Oil lack grit? WTF?

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I actually find the opposite - many Australian bands find a groove and a sound that's outside the normal US-UK mainstream whereas most British bands all sound the same and sound like they are copying each other.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I actually find the opposite - many Australian bands find a groove and a sound that's outside the normal US-UK mainstream whereas most British bands all sound the same and sound like they are copying each other.

Only going off the one that was nomintaed.
Very good Album but doesn't have the British Rock feel that my ears are accustomed too.

Amen to that.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I suppose it depends on how narrowly you are defining the 'g' word. I only know a bit of Midnight Oil's output but the stuff I know is mostly sonically quite clean so despite the subject matter and Garret's passionate vocals I can understand why if someone was addicted to lots of overdrive they'd think it a bit polite. I wouldn't agree with them but would get where they're coming from. Like most things musical what constitutes grit is up for debate.

Only going off the one that was nomintaed.
Very good Album but doesn't have the British Rock feel that my ears are accustomed too.

I suppose it depends on how narrowly you are defining the 'g' word. I only know a bit of Midnight Oil's output but the stuff I know is mostly sonically quite clean so despite the subject matter and Garret's passionate vocals I can understand why if someone was addicted to lots of overdrive they'd think it a bit polite. I wouldn't agree with them but would get where they're coming from. Like most things musical what constitutes grit is up for debate.
Yeah, fair enough. Like I said in the review for this album, Midnight Oil certainly adapted their sound in the late 1980s and gained a larger audience.

After a thorough examination of Aussie music (and finding it most likely to be compared to New Zealand's greatest-ever songwriter), Powderfinger's Odyssey Number Five pulled in 11 votes at an average of 6.36. A good bit of discussion and I think a few people enjoyed it, so thanks to @southamptonblue for the nomination.

Which leads us to the last nomination in the current round. Stepping up and making his debut in the hotseat, it's @Black&White&BlueMoon Town ......

After a thorough examination of Aussie music (and finding it most likely to be compared to New Zealand's greatest-ever songwriter), Powderfinger's Odyssey Number Five pulled in 11 votes at an average of 6.36. A good bit of discussion and I think a few people enjoyed it, so thanks to @southamptonblue for the nomination.

Which leads us to the last nomination in the current round. Stepping up and making his debut in the hotseat, it's @Black&White&BlueMoon Town ......

It is also the angriest I think I've seen you get over an album. How Dare anyone compare them to Crowded House!

A bit like when Fog compared Biffy's Puzzle to the Foos. Would rather have copped a score of 2 than that metaphor!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.