The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Crowded House’s music is classic pop, with the added benefit that Neil Finn writes hook-laden bridges and choruses that, IMO, has few equals.

The music is generally spacious, in that it’s relatively simple guitar, drums and bass with plenty of gaps between the music. I think the chord changes make it very special.

To me, Powderfinger sound more like a band who create rock music, albeit at the lighter end of the spectrum, where the electric guitars buzz away. Foo Fighters is a fair comparison and In terms of Australian acts, I would say Hoodoo Gurus.

I am a big Crowded House fan. I have all their albums and have seen them in concert multiple times.

With all due respect, this sounds nothing like them.

Though I tend to agree with you I think if you are a casual listener to this type of music there are moments when you can hear similarities. It's a bit like me saying Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeath sound the same, it's only that I'm listening to it at a cursory level compared to someone who is a big fan of any of them.

Last edited:
Though I tend to agree with you I think if you are a casual listener to this type of music there are moments when you can hear similarities. It's a bit like me saying Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeath sound the same, it's only that I'm listening to it at a cursory level compared to someone who is a big fan of any of them.
Yes, I definitely agree with that.

If you don’t like jazz, all jazz sounds the same.

I think 95% of UK indie all sounds the same (but I’m happy to have the differences pointed out to me by somebody who knows more!)

Crowded House’s music is classic pop, with the added benefit that Neil Finn writes hook-laden bridges and choruses that, IMO, has few equals.

The music is generally spacious, in that it’s relatively simple guitar, drums and bass with plenty of gaps between the music. I think the chord changes make it very special.

To me, Powderfinger sound more like a band who create rock music, albeit at the lighter end of the spectrum, where the electric guitars buzz away. Foo Fighters is a fair comparison and In terms of Australian acts, I would say Hoodoo Gurus.

That's why I said somewhere between the Foos and Cr.House.

I.e I didn't specify where on that line ;).

But yeah joking aside, they do remind me at times of crowded house. Not sure what it is. Tone and singing maybe, a little bit poppy. I see I am not the only one that said this, so I'm ok with it.

Yes, I definitely agree with that.

If you don’t like jazz, all jazz sounds the same.

I think 95% of UK indie all sounds the same (but I’m happy to have the differences pointed out to me by somebody who knows more!)
Aah but you have to define indie!

The Cure perhaps? Nothing like Oasis. Or are they indie? Wonderstuff? James? Soup Dragons? Artic Monkeys?

Put this on in the car driving into town the other day with son in tow. Amazingly he actually thought it quite good. However, being the impatient callow youth that he is, as soon as I had to get out of the car he stuck his own choice on. That choice being the latest Liam G offering. As soon as that came on I just said it was reconstituted Waterfall/Resurrection and then cringed when he sang the colours of the Rainbow.
I suggested to him that Powderfinger would possibly sound a bit better with Liam singing on it but that the whole album was a damn sight better than this latest pish offering.
Agree with many others in the Crowded House similarities and I also thought about some Radiohead and Oasis influences.
Its getting regular listens in the car and my son is even repeating a couple of the tracks he likes. The question will be whether I listen to it much beyond this weeks voting...possibly so far.

Powderfinger -Odyssey Number Five

Seeing that video and all of the subsequent tracks described by the band was not just a great backstory, but it immediately reminded me I have seen lead guitarist Ian Haug live… last year as now lead guitarist with The Church.

It doesn’t surprise me he’s been with them since 2013 after Powderfinger disbanded in 2010, and he and the guitars really shine on numerous tracks on this album.

To me, Odyssey Number Five reminds me of a straightforward 90’s alternative rocker, and the band more than delivers as a whole.

I had earlier noted upon first impressions of hearing them last week that lead singer Bernard Fanning sounded a lot like Jars of Clay lead singer Dan Haseltine, and that’s not a bad thing at all. In fact, by the time I got to “The Metre”, if you had played me that song from out of nowhere, I’d have sworn it was from JoC from around that same time period (The Eleventh Hour, 2002), especially in the lyrics “Welcome to the Saving Grace”.

But most of Powderfinger’s songs are guitars and drum driven, and in that way, the band after a full few listens as a whole on this album reminded me the most of US alternative rocker’s Live+ (from York, PA). Again, for me as someone who has all their albums during that time period and seen them numerous times “live”, this Aussie band and album really hit the mark with me.

The first 3 songs out of the gate are all stellar. “My Happiness” really stood out and its evident from the video what a hit with crowds it was. As the band noted, they strove to make an album where the songs fit together without yelling or hitting the distortion pedal, and this one gets off to a great start in those tracks.

For some reason, "Like A Dog" and the title track together was the low point of the album for me.

The standout moment (and song) to me on the whole album is “Up & Down & Back Again”. Yes, I see now this song never was a single, but to me, this track makes the album, and its clear in the lyrics they have something to say. The start of it embodies the album cover, and then the music towards the end really drives it home:

Have you ever attempted to be yourself
when everybody wants you to be someone else
up and down and back again

At this point, I was expecting the album to start to decline, but Powderfinger wasn’t done. The bass line starting off, and then the vocal range really drives “My Kind of Scene”, and the guitar on this one towards the end make this one.

“These Days” also doesn’t miss a beat in starting slowly with a few key notes, but then turning it up on the passing of time and days and things not always working out the way you planned. Another song that was not a single, but very powerful.

“We Should Be Together Now” is another drums and guitar driven track that really hits the mark as it builds momentum towards a strong ending.

“Thrilloilogy” as the penultimate track is a straightforward rocker that addresses unfulfilled and forgotten dreams. The guitar solo in the middle was nice before it slows down and the female background harmonies come in before the roaring ending.

“Whatever Makes You Happy” as an acoustic piece closes the album. I was curious on how they’d end this, and the closer was going to be key. From what I could read on this, the general belief is the song is written to a friend of Bernard’s on behalf of his/her dying mother – a last goodbye.

Before I score this, I wanted to thank @southamptonblue for nominating this album and artist. Powderfinger is a band I simply missed during their time, maybe to never find if not for this thread.

I certainly wasn’t curious enough after seeing The Church last year and hearing that Ian was in Powderfinger to look up that artist, so kudos for that.

Do their songs hold up? My view is yes, they do.

I’ve forwarded this on to a few friends that I think would like this. A lot.
Given all of this, will there be repeat listens from me? Absolutely yes.

It’s a 9/10 for me on Odyssey Number Five on both what it tries to be, and well achieves.

(I debated an 8, but the enjoyment of finding a new album I otherwise didn't know about clinches the 9 for me)

Last edited:
Powderfinger -Odyssey Number Five

Seeing that video and all of the subsequent tracks described by the band was not just a great backstory, but it immediately reminded me I have seen lead guitarist Ian Haug live… last year as now lead guitarist with “The Church”.

It doesn’t surprise me he’s been with them since 2013 after Powderfinger disbanded in 2010, and he and the guitars really shine on numerous tracks on this album.

To me, Odyssey Number Five reminds me of a straightforward 90’s alternative rocker, and the band more than delivers as a whole.

I had earlier noted upon first impressions of hearing them last week that lead singer Bernard Fanning sounded a lot like Jars of Clay lead singer Dan Haseltine, and that’s not a bad thing at all. In fact, by the time I got to “The Metre”, if you had played me that song from out of nowhere, I’d have sworn it was from JoC from around that same time period (The Eleventh Hour, 2002), especially in the lyrics “Welcome to the Saving Grace”.

But most of Powderfinger’s songs are guitars and drum driven, and in that way, the band after a full few listens as a whole on this album reminded me the most of US alternative rocker’s Live+ (from York, PA). Again, for me as someone who has all their albums during that time period and seen them numerous times “live”, this Aussie band and album really hit the mark with me.

The first 3 songs out of the gate are all stellar. “My Happiness” really stood out and its evident from the video what a hit with crowds it was. As the band noted, they strove to make an album where the songs fit together without yelling or hitting the distortion pedal, and this one gets off to a great start in those tracks.

For some reason, "Like A Dog" and the title track together was the low point of the album for me.

The standout moment (and song) to me on the whole album is “Up & Down & Back Again”. Yes, I see now this song never was a single, but to me, this track makes the album, and its clear in the lyrics they have something to say. The start of it embodies the album cover, and then the music towards the end really drives it home:

Have you ever attempted to be yourself
when everybody wants you to be someone else
up and down and back again

At this point, I was expecting the album to start to decline, but Powderfinger wasn’t done. The bass line starting off, and then the vocal range really drives “My Kind of Scene”, and the guitar on this one towards the end make this one.

“These Days” also doesn’t miss a beat in starting slowly with a few key notes, but then turning it up on the passing of time and days and things not always working out the way you planned. Another song that was not a single, but very powerful.

“We Should Be Together Now” is another drums and guitar driven track that really hits the mark as it builds momentum towards a strong ending.

“Thrilloilogy” as the penultimate track is a straightforward rocker that addresses unfulfilled and forgotten dreams. The guitar solo in the middle was nice before it slows down and the female background harmonies come in before the roaring ending.

“Whatever Makes You Happy” as an acoustic piece closes the album. I was curious on how they’d end this, and the closer was going to be key. From what I could read on this, the general belief is the song is written to a friend of Bernard’s on behalf of his/her dying mother – a last goodbye.

Before I score this, I wanted to thank @southamptonblue for nominating this album and artist. Powderfinger is a band I simply missed during their time, maybe to never find if not for this thread.

I certainly wasn’t curious enough after seeing The Church last year and hearing that Ian was in Powderfinger to look up that artist, so kudos for that.

Do their songs hold up? My view is yes, they do.

I’ve forwarded this on to a few friends that I think would like this. A lot.
Given all of this, will there be repeat listens from me? Absolutely yes.

It’s a 9/10 for me on Odyssey Number Five on both what it tries to be, and well achieves.

(I debated an 8, but the enjoyment of finding a new album I otherwise didn't know about clinches the 9 for me)
Great review B&W - so much so it’s prompted me to postpone my two line wittering… I’ll give it another listen :)

Funnily enough when I listened to this, my first thought was Crowded House in terms of the sound of the singer. However, I agree with Rob that CH are much more melodic and have more about them.

Personally, when it comes to rock albums I think they might need to have great riffs. The best rock albums always have them - think Stones, Led Zep, Nirvana, AC/DC etc. If you're not going to lean on a great riff then I want some great lyrics - Dylan, Springsteen etc. If you aren't doing that then you need to have some great melodies - Eagles, Pink Floyd. If you aren't doing that then some virtuoso playing - Yes, Steely Dan, Zappa. If all else fails it need raw power - Motorhead, Sex Pistols etc. Hopefully you get the idea and fully aware you can be in more than one category! :)

This isn't a bad album but it doesn't do much for me. It just falls between too many cracks for my taste and just can't hit my rock spot. When I think of the above I can't think of any of my check boxes it's hitting.t doesn't feel like it has much of anything and it's just nice. I can see why someone would like it mind as I do hear plenty of influences but overall it's not one I will return to.

It's a tricky one to score as it's certainly not bad, but not a genre for me.

I will go with a 5.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.