The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Apart from hearing tracks in the radio I havent ever delved into Muse. Showing my membership of the FOC club I have often heard my nieces/nephews say how good they are (particularly live). ......they even put them on thir streaming devices (whatever they are) rather than good old 78's!
I have quite liked what I have heard on the radio but always thought, whilst liking, that they were abit bombastic and the Bellamy was a bit "up himself"....but once again thats the FOC in me.
Actually quite looking forward to spending time with a whole album to give me a more rounded view.

One listen this morning. First impressions are that it's quite rocky in places, which is a good thing, but also quite formulaic.

Quite song, quiet start then boom, quiet song, quiet start then boom...and repeat. His voice is also quite droney.

The quiet songs are very similar as are the loud ones. My suspicions that my long held beliefs about only liking the odd song are proving correct.

Two more listens to go.

Sorry all, work has been manic for the last few weeks so I've not had time to listen to anything so apologies to those who've nominated and I've not been able to score!

I found this a tricky album to score again simply because I can't get away from the fact that Muse sound like Radiohead in about 1998. But they aren't as good. I think as well, the other thing is that Muse don't seem to have changed their style too much either over the years, it's pretty much they have a style and aren't going to change it much. That's fine if you've got the ability of AC/DC, The Rolling Stones or Status Quo but I don't quite think they have. Part of me thinks when I want to listen to something like Muse, I'd rather slip Radiohead on.

All that said, this is a pretty good album. I like most of the tracks on it but it just sounds like Radiohead and I just can't get away from that. If you sound like them, you will be compared to them. There's no disgrace in that though - personally, I think Radiohead are one of the greatest bands of the last 30 years. I think what they do have, what Muse don't have, is that ability to make the album and move on to something new. Blur had that too and I have a lot of respect for bands who can do that (and I also love the ones above who don't change!).

I feel I've been a bit critical of the album and spent most of the review talking about Radiohead, but this is a good solid album with enough twists and turns and although I'd not heard this, I will put this on again.

7/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.