The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Phrases like, "this isn't my usual thing" and variations of it should be banned from this thread. Mind you, if it was I would have to be more creative about how I start a review by distancing myself from something that somebody obviously loves. As it is though, we're free to word it how we like so let's get it out of the way, this isn't my...

I've had the luxury to give it more listens than the last few picks combined. All that's been missing is it forming the background to a gym sessions where I suspect it might have gone down, erm, adequately.

I'm not enamoured with the vocals, not just the strained screaming on the opener but it's something I find with a lot of these type of bands, a music that you think of as being macho, for want of a better word with vocals that sound, well not.

And what is this type of music anyway? To my untutored ear it's metal. But reading the comments from those who rate it seems there is more to it than that with bits of I can't remember but it's not to be read as heavy metal per se. Well OK.

None of it offended me and I even found myself defending it, a bit, when it came on in the car and my wife dismissed it instantly. But as others have said, nothing stood out. If you like it that's not really a problem, it's uniform in a good way. If it's not your cup of tea, well it all sounds the same.

Despite having given it more than the mandatry three listens I couldn't find myself enjoying it. What's left then is to try and appreciate it and I've no doubt that there is good musicianship here. And while it's not Pulitzer prize winning I thought some of the lyrics were OK in the sense that they obviously don't take themselves too seriously.

I'd never just dismiss something just because it's not to my taste (but I'm not going to check back to see if I have perchance done just that), scores of below 6 are for weak, perfunctory or cynical efforts. Scores of above 6 are for anything that catches my imagination and sticks in some way. So you know that 6 is therefore neither here nor there. 6 it is.

How does he do it? Despite a well-aimed torpedo from denislawsbackheel, @OB1 has still managed to get his nomination in the top 30. Not only that, but his choices continue to be popular with the group at the same time as bringing in some guests - a massive 18 votes for Aerosmith's Rocks at an average of 6.87.

Well done to the regulars who all managed to review and score this week's nomination.

Now then. @stoneblue is supposed to be up next but hasn't posted for nearly a month. What's more, he hasn't been seen outside the reading thread since 14th January. Normally I'd do a nominator the courtesy of allowing them until 6 or 7 PM to show up but in this case, I think that we should promote @Coatigan with immediate effect.

If there are no objections and stoneblue doesn't appear by 2.30, the floor's all yours @Coatigan

How does he do it? Despite a well-aimed torpedo from denislawsbackheel, @OB1 has still managed to get his nomination in the top 30. Not only that, but his choices continue to be popular with the group at the same time as bringing in some guests - a massive 18 votes for Aerosmith's Rocks at an average of 6.87.

Well done to the regulars who all managed to review and score this week's nomination.

Now then. @stoneblue is supposed to be up next but hasn't posted for nearly a month. What's more, he hasn't been seen outside the reading thread since 14th January. Normally I'd do a nominator the courtesy of allowing them until 6 or 7 PM to show up but in this case, I think that we should promote @Coatigan with immediate effect.

If there are no objections and stoneblue doesn't appear by 2.30, the floor's all yours @Coatigan
It’s Indie week! ;)

It’s Indie week! ;)

Well I did have a hard rock album of zeppelinesque leanings lined up, but hiven the last two I'm going to mix it up and break the chain. 3 in a row would be much, so will save that for another time. Just as well I'm not lazy to come up with clues!

Which this week might test your collective googling/thinking ability.

It will be the back of 3, if stoneblue doesn't show.

We probably need a change of pace after back-to-back rock weeks. Maybe some Belgian jazz?

Sounds good to me..it is the home of the Sax after all and we could maybe segue into some old school Coltrane without all the reverb and delay added too ;-). Django Reinhardt was Belgian as well I think or am I thinking of Poirot? Anyway it's high time we had some.

Sounds good to me..it is the home of the Sax after all and we could maybe segue into some old school Coltrane without all the reverb and delay added too ;-). Django Reinhardt was Belgian as well I think or am I thinking of Poirot? Anyway it's high time we had some.
I don't know of any Belgian jazz, it just sounded good in my head!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.