The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Superchunk's 2001 Here's To Shutting Up, the band left "Phone Sex" out of the initial performances of the accompanying tour; with the September 11, 2001 attacks a painfully fresh memory, the members felt uncomfortable performing a song featuring the lyrics "Plane crash footage on TV. I know, I know that could be me."

wow and duh...

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

American alternative rock band Jimmy Eat World voluntarily changed the name of their album Bleed American, which was released on July 18, 2001, out of concern that the title may be misinterpreted. It was re-released as the eponymous Jimmy Eat World, and its title track was renamed "Salt Sweat Sugar". In 2008, a deluxe version of the album was released, reverting both the album and song to their original Bleed American title.

wow and duh...

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

American alternative rock band Jimmy Eat World voluntarily changed the name of their album Bleed American, which was released on July 18, 2001, out of concern that the title may be misinterpreted. It was re-released as the eponymous Jimmy Eat World, and its title track was renamed "Salt Sweat Sugar". In 2008, a deluxe version of the album was released, reverting both the album and song to their original Bleed American title.

Bingo. The bleed american original release became a collectors item, when they dropped the name in all the new releases. The young me didn't care much, and I cashed in. In 2008, they returned to the original title, and suddenly the Jimmy Eat World album became the collectors' item. I MIGHT be in a select small group to have owned all 3, we will never know.

I am nominating their prior album,
Clarity - The Phoenix Sessions.

That specific (re)release, the phoenex sessions one, is an absolute must to stress that.

Write up will come, if this bus ever comes.

Last edited:
Bingo. The bleed american original release became a collectors item, when they dropped the name in all the new releases. The young me didn't care much, and I cashed in. In 2008, they returned to the original title, and suddenly the Jimmy Eat World album became the collectors' item.

I am nominating their prior album,
Clarity - The Phoenix Sessions.

That specific (re)release, the phoenix sessions one, is an absolute must to stress that.

Write up will come, if this bus ever comes.
Always nice to guess each other's nomination when the other is out of the picture.

I'll be sure to up my game in May. ;-)

(Cue up "Private public transport")

Clarity, Phoenix Sessions - Jimmy Eat World

1000012003.jpg

I don't usually include cover pictures, but it is specifically the 2021 covid re-release of their 1997 album, the one with the picture above, that I am putting forward. So if that isn't the cover, you've not got the one I am discussing here.

When covid struck the gig and music industry, J.E.W were among the bands to issue 'live' recording full sets on YouTube, and amongst them was a full play-through of this album.

I loved it when it first came out, and I loved seeing it played out in front of me, on a screen in my room, during lockdown.

Only slight differences really, mainly, his voice has now dropped as opposed to when it was still breaking, and the production and polish is slightly better. But mostly, the emotional prop it tried to offer during covid is worth the recognition imo.

There have indeed been many albums like it over the years, and now, it might not feel that unique. But when I first heard it in 97, in that context, it properly blew me away, and I thought it was truly groundbreaking. Although partial to the odd ballad, it was mostly desert rock, grunge, post-metal etc for me, and I suddenly found myself realising my soft side. Which is now a big part of my musical likes.

The rest, is really neither here nor there, or is self-explanatory, so I don't feel the need to say any more about the album. Enjoy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.