The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Safe: a roots rock gem from a long-ago disappeared band

Modestly safe: guitar-first speaker-blasting post punk

Probably unsafe: all over the place genius record from an anxious weirdo

Definitely unsafe: “hit single” filled with dissonance; rest of the record far, far more dissonant

Modestly safe gets my vote. Definitely unsafe would not be unwelcome.

Was just waiting for you to say that ;). Indeed, Simon has previously spoken of this album as an influence on Blackened Sky. And Christopher's River for example, might as well have come straight off this album.

Vocally, he has nevee been the most stirring of singers, but sings well within his range and style imo. There is more in there than the one listen can reveal. Bimbo says his view might change with more (spoiler, it won't), but he has a point, one listen won't grip most. But There is certainly more there and it needs a little bit of time and effort. The most rewarding albums always do.
Blimey I came up with a valid point then! ;)
Not sure if we’ve discussed reviewers ages before - I’ve probably forgotten that we did.
I was listening to this earlier thinking that maybe if I’d heard when it was released and a fair few years younger it may have a different impact.
I’m 61 now and I find stuff that I didn’t hear at the time harder to get into than if I was previously aware of it. I think I’m saying that sometimes it’s easier to listen to familiar stuff than try something new - let’s face it my days are numbered ;)
Anyway enough waffle… I’m a rambling FOC

Last edited:
Blimey I came up with a valid point then! ;)
Not sure if we’ve discussed reviewers ages before - I’ve probably forgotten that we did.
I was listening to this earlier thinking that maybe if I’d heard when it was released and a fair few years younger it may have a different impact.
I’m 61 now and I find stuff that I didn’t hear at the time harder to get into than if I was previously aware of it. I think I’m saying that sometimes it’s easier to listen to familiar stuff than try something new - let’s face it my days are numbered ;)
Anyway enough waffle… I’m a rambling FOC

I think that can be said for most of us a lot of the time. I felt that way about the Sunhouse nomination, say 15 maybe even 10 years ago would have loved it, alas now that particular mood has passed me by. If I hadn't loved this album back when it was released, there is every chance I would possibly feel that way about it too. Do you think you would really like Blackened Sky if younwere hearing it now for the first time? I'm not sure how I would answer that.

I think there are a couple of posters that know specifically what they want/like, and are quite happy to find more of exactly the same if they missed out on it. A couple that are willing to try anything, even if a lot of it doesn't stick. And a lot of us that do want to try find new things and want to be taken in by them, but for any of a number of reasons it doesn't always work out that way. Whether that is the moment passing us by, tastes shifting, saturation, or just finding the stuff itself not being as good as the stuff we know we like.

I think that can be said for most of us a lot of the time. I felt that way about the Sunhouse nomination, say 15 maybe even 10 years ago would have loved it, alas now that particular mood has passed me by. If I hadn't loved this album back when it was released, there is every chance I would possibly feel that way about it too. Do you think you would really like Blackened Sky if younwere hearing it now for the first time? I'm not sure how I would answer that.

I think there are a couple of posters that know specifically what they want/like, and are quite happy to find more of exactly the same if they missed out on it. A couple that are willing to try anything, even if a lot of it doesn't stick. And a lot of us that do want to try find new things and want to be taken in by them, but for any of a number of reasons it doesn't always work out that way. Whether that is the moment passing us by, tastes shifting, saturation, or just finding the stuff itself not being as good as the stuff we know we like.
Possibly not on the Blackened Sky question. That also morphs into the ‘I prefer their old stuff’ debate. It’s also how you access new material. Now the kids have left there is not much new music being played in the house. New music I do listen to tends to be in genres I know I like so it’s a safer listen I suppose. There always new blues stuff I can listen to - new or old performers.
I’m not saying I don’t like this current selection btw - I’m reserving judgment like Bimbo ;)

Possibly not on the Blackened Sky question. That also morphs into the ‘I prefer their old stuff’ debate. It’s also how you access new material. Now the kids have left there is not much new music being played in the house. New music I do listen to tends to be in genres I know I like so it’s a safer listen I suppose. There always new blues stuff I can listen to - new or old performers.
I’m not saying I don’t like this current selection btw - I’m reserving judgment like Bimbo ;)
I am willing to try, listen and love anything new or old.

But yes, being 58 soon, does seem to focus my mind on what I like. In my, not as old as GD but quite close world, a lot of new stuff I do listen to is very blues/ rock/ bit of banjo with some electronica chucked in.

I so wanted to get into The Stones as I've tried for years to like them and hadn't, I thought, given them enough of a listen.

J.J Cale was a delicious shock. I had no idea why he had passed me by.

Aerosmith would have been higher if it was Toys.

I do also revisit albums a few weeks later, the joys of being at home most of the time is that I do listen to a lot of music.

Masterplan I gave a 4 but the other week the missus had it on in the kitchen and I found myself nodding along. Would have now scored it a 6.

I suppose it all boils down to the week I'm having, my mood and if it's in my wheelhouse.

Nothing is done out of spite. I love music and actively hunt for new stuff. 4 record fairs in this year, 5th on Sunday, and I always try and buy something I've not heard of before.

I suppose it all boils down to the week I'm having, my mood and if it's in my wheelhouse.

I think we under estimate mood, when we hear a new piece of music, at our peril. It can make a huge difference to our perception and sometimes stuff is just at the wrong time for us to get the best out of it.

Another thing I find is it depends what else I'm listening to at the time. To pick up on Coat's food analogy it's not just what you fancy but there's also a bit of pairing like compatible foods and/or booze. If you're hoovering up spicy tex mex food they'll be no use at that time in having a delicate white wine as it'll just get lost in the mix. Same with trying to listen to a bit of Victoria Williams if you've been mostly having a Black Flag day. Post 'Rocks' and inspired by the playlist thread I've had a couple of days of very mellow music, some of which I might even call a bit bland myself. So in comparison to what else is currently being consumed with this nomination it broadly feels quite 'up' to me.

You occasionally get stuff that transcends it's surroundings, the aforementioned JJ Cale is a case in point for me. I return to it pretty regularly to see if it still has good Ju Ju and irrespective of mood and what else I'm listening to it always has.

Last edited:
Modestly safe gets my vote. Definitely unsafe would not be unwelcome.
Awwwww. Besides me, there must be a FEW here who would enjoy a horn and banjo played with purposefully out of tune chords for five minutes. And this is on the second catchiest song on the record.

Come on, live a little!

Well, you're going to get them all if I have four turns; it's just a question of the order :)

Incidentally, I already wrote the review for the safe one and the most unsafe one.

Guess it will depend on my mood next week.

Awwwww. Besides me, there must be a FEW here who would enjoy a horn and banjo played with purposefully out of tune chords for five minutes. And this is on the second catchiest song on the record.

Come on, live a little!

Well, you're going to get them all if I have four turns; it's just a question of the order :)

Incidentally, I already wrote the review for the safe one and the most unsafe one.

Guess it will depend on my mood next week.

Do it!!

(That way when at some point I do Tom Waits, no one will bat an eyelid).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.