The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Here's the schedule for the next few weeks:-

13/03/2024 ????
20/03/2024 @journolud
27/03/2024 @Mancitydoogle
03/04/2024 @threespires

I can either drop @FogBlueInSanFran into the free slot next week, or bump the next few up and drop Foggy into the 3rd April slot, or bump every remaining nominator one slot and leave Foggy at the end.

Whatever solution, I'm easy with it - I''ll just invite comments from the four posters I've tagged, and I'm happy to referee any bunfights to sort out the order!
I can do the free slot next week. I have four different ones in my head: a safe one, a maybe safe one, a probably unsafe one and a definitely unsafe one.

Here's the schedule for the next few weeks:-

13/03/2024 ????
20/03/2024 @journolud
27/03/2024 @Mancitydoogle
03/04/2024 @threespires

I can either drop @FogBlueInSanFran into the free slot next week, or bump the next few up and drop Foggy into the 3rd April slot, or bump every remaining nominator one slot and leave Foggy at the end.

Whatever solution, I'm easy with it - I''ll just invite comments from the four posters I've tagged, and I'm happy to referee any bunfights to sort out the order!

I'm happy to go with the flow. Per your suggestion Robert you'll probably be getting some Toots Thielemans from me so that'll be 50 mins of harmonica and whistling, so it depends how keen you are to get that out of the way :-)

Define 'safe' ? Actually don't, just go for the most unsafe one :-)
Safe: a roots rock gem from a long-ago disappeared band

Modestly safe: guitar-first speaker-blasting post punk

Probably unsafe: all over the place genius record from an anxious weirdo

Definitely unsafe: “hit single” filled with dissonance; rest of the record far, far more dissonant

First few listens, and I’m getting distinct Biffy Clyro Blackened Sky era vibes - not a bad thing by the way.
I’m liking the overall sound, but finding the vocals a bit wishy washy, I’m leaning toward Bimbo’s it’s a tad boring at the moment

First few listens, and I’m getting distinct Biffy Clyro Blackened Sky era vibes - not a bad thing by the way.
I’m liking the overall sound, but finding the vocals a bit wishy washy, I’m leaning toward Bimbo’s it’s a tad boring at the moment

Was just waiting for you to say that ;). Indeed, Simon has previously spoken of this album as an influence on Blackened Sky. And Christopher's River for example, might as well have come straight off this album.

Vocally, he has nevee been the most stirring of singers, but sings well within his range and style imo. There is more in there than the one listen can reveal. Bimbo says his view might change with more (spoiler, it won't), but he has a point, one listen won't grip most. But There is certainly more there and it needs a little bit of time and effort. The most rewarding albums always do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.