The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

The kind of bland American not quite rock that I despise. So far, after one listen mind, there's nothing here but uninteresting noise.

Let's hope two more listens invigorates my senses more.

It isn't bland, really. Soft, maybe, but that isn't the same thing. There is an immense richness to it. The structure, the weaving of instruments, the background (chimes, cello,xylophone, a quiet backing vocal) that is subtle but gives it all a base. There is a lot in the lyrics too, but predominantly it carries a tone that it delivers really well.

That tone might not be what you are in the mood for, or what you like. But arguing it is bland, is somewhere beteeen nothing more than a basic innate prejudice, and simply just missing the point. Either way, it is a very limited take.

That's a bit like arguing your carbonara isn't spicy enough. You might love your curries, or even hate carbonara. But it simply aint meant to be spicy either way.

How does he do it? Despite a well-aimed torpedo from denislawsbackheel, @OB1 has still managed to get his nomination in the top 30. Not only that, but his choices continue to be popular with the group at the same time as bringing in some guests - a massive 18 votes for Aerosmith's Rocks at an average of 6.87.

Well done to the regulars who all managed to review and score this week's nomination.

Now then. @stoneblue is supposed to be up next but hasn't posted for nearly a month. What's more, he hasn't been seen outside the reading thread since 14th January. Normally I'd do a nominator the courtesy of allowing them until 6 or 7 PM to show up but in this case, I think that we should promote @Coatigan with immediate effect.

If there are no objections and stoneblue doesn't appear by 2.30, the floor's all yours @Coatigan

Firstly apologies to all for missing my slot, I didn’t realise I was up next (my fault I know) and thank you to @Coatigan for stepping in. I’ve been super busy for a while, rarely visiting Bluemoon and have lost touch somewhat. As @RobMCFC alluded to I haven’t posted on the "Reading" thread for some time and I’ve 4-5 books to update on there!

I think it best that you leave me out as a participant/contributor to this thread and also the Playlist Review thread.
Once again, apologies to all.

Firstly apologies to all for missing my slot, I didn’t realise I was up next (my fault I know) and thank you to @Coatigan for stepping in. I’ve been super busy for a while, rarely visiting Bluemoon and have lost touch somewhat. As @RobMCFC alluded to I haven’t posted on the "Reading" thread for some time and I’ve 4-5 books to update on there!

I think it best that you leave me out as a participant/contributor to this thread and also the Playlist Review thread.
Once again, apologies to all.
No problem, thanks for letting me know.

If you want to get stuck in again sometime, you're more than welcome.

It isn't bland, really. Soft, maybe, but that isn't the same thing. There is an immense richness to it. The structure, the weaving of instruments, the background (chimes, cello,xylophone, a quiet backing vocal) that is subtle but gives it all a base. There is a lot in the lyrics too, but predominantly it carries a tone that it delivers really well.

That tone might not be what you are in the mood for, or what you like. But arguing it is bland, is somewhere beteeen nothing more than a basic innate prejudice, and simply just missing the point. Either way, it is a very limited take.

That's a bit like arguing your carbonara isn't spicy enough. You might love your curries, or even hate carbonara. But it simply aint meant to be spicy either way.
I'm sorry but what?

Bland in my above post means boring. And on first listen it is just that. Boring. There is no point to miss, it's boring. Has no pizazz. No get up and go. Formulaic. Start, play a bit, end. Boring.

*this opinion might change after two more listens.

Here's the schedule for the next few weeks:-

13/03/2024 ????
20/03/2024 @journolud
27/03/2024 @Mancitydoogle
03/04/2024 @threespires

I can either drop @FogBlueInSanFran into the free slot next week, or bump the next few up and drop Foggy into the 3rd April slot, or bump every remaining nominator one slot and leave Foggy at the end.

Whatever solution, I'm easy with it - I''ll just invite comments from the four posters I've tagged, and I'm happy to referee any bunfights to sort out the order!

I'm sorry but what?

Bland in my above post means boring. And on first listen it is just that. Boring. There is no point to miss, it's boring. Has no pizazz. No get up and go. Formulaic. Start, play a bit, end. Boring.

*this opinion might change after two more listens.

Is it boring or is it bland though? ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.