The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

My favourite album.
Moving Pictures is like a comfort blanket to me, any time I need to escape out come the headphones and away I go. It was after hearing the opening bars of 2112 some 6th formers were playing at school that immediately I was hooked by this group. Moving Pictures was the first new material Rush released after I had first got into them, so this album will always be special for me. I know Rush aren't everybody’s cup of tea - normally because of Geddy Lee's vocals - but in my opinion this is a perfect album with not a bad track on it. A group at the absolute peak of their powers both in the studio and live The three albums that followed were almost as good, in fact I've told my wife and kids that when I pop my clogs, my vinyl copies of Moving Pictures through to Power Windows have got to come with me.
An easy 10/10

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20200111_101902.jpeg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200111_101902.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1
I really wish I could understand what people love so much about Rush. I've tried and tried but I just can't find the key to it. Must be an acquired taste that I haven't managed to acquire. I suspect many people must feel like that with some of my nominations though!!

I have given it 4 listens instead of my usual three but I just don't feel anything when I listen to it. I find it hard to focus on and it seems to drift by over my head. I'm sure they are all competent musicians (not at all keen on the voice) and they must have something to be loved by so many but I really can't get a handle on it at all. I couldn't even say that I find it pleasant music to have on in the background. There wasn't a standout track for me on the album. They all kind of blurred into each other.

It would be great to understand what it is that gives us such wildly diverse tastes. How can so many score it a 10 while others, including myself, are totally unmoved by it?

Anyway, I'm sure it is great in some way that is beyond me but I can't find much to like. A (generous) 3. Sorry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.