The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Left myself short of time and am working today so don't have the time to write as much as I would like. Suffice to say though that after struggling through the first couple of listens to this something seemed to click, perhaps not surprising really as i do have Permanent Waves, probably on the basis of "Spirit of the Radio". I went on a minor Rush binge, based on recommendations on here but also concentrating on the general era of this album and generally liked what I heard. Definite notes of Genesis in some of the music, as I've said before would be churlish to criticise the lyrics given I like Genesis, Yes, King Crimson et al. Only occasionally did I think the vocals were over stretched.

These weekly review albums are usually downloaded for the review period and then deleted. This one is a keeper and will probably be added to. It's a comfortable 7

Put La Villa Strangiato on this album and it would be a 10 from me. Limelight and TS are great tunes and were always awesome live. Camera Eye is the stand out for me. This is always a go to Rush album like putting on an old pair of slippers.
9/10
Moving pictures for most fans is probably their best. Followed by hemispheres and power windows...then signals. One of the best live albums for me was All the worlds a stage. I still get goosebumps halfway through By tor. Very much a marmite band for most I get that. But instrumentally, they were really good.

Sadly I'm in the 'I just don't get it' camp - which is frustrating as I know Rush are clearly a huge selling talented band and it shows on so many of their songs - I just prefer formulaic pop songs and I struggle with prog rock with the time signatures seem to wander in so many different directions, I think that's why I like 'Spirit Of Radio' the most by them as its the closest standard pop song I think they've done, lyrically I can't connect and I've always said vocals never bother me - but I make the exception with Geddy Lee's voice

that aside I enjoyed 'YYZ' 'Witch Hunt' and especially 'The Camera Eye' good tune through out, quite dark and even at 11mins it skips by

so.... enjoyable in patches, wanted to like it more than I did but overall... not for me

5/10

Moving pictures for most fans is probably their best. Followed by hemispheres and power windows...then signals. One of the best live albums for me was All the worlds a stage. I still get goosebumps halfway through By tor. Very much a marmite band for most I get that. But instrumentally, they were really good.
I’m biased and I agree about the marmite. For me they were a bit better than really good ;) good to see Lifeson and Geddy Lee are amongst the artists for the Taylor Hawkins tribute gig

Moving Pictures has smashed two record this week: most number of votes (23) and by far the most number of 10s (6).
@OB1 certainly knows how to pick an album that brings in the crowds, and Rush end up with an average of 6.65, which is just outside the top 10.

Now onto week #37 - A reminder that we now enter a two-week vote.

Furthermore, due to TUI ****ing me about, and having to rebook my holiday, I won't be here to start the next week either so here's how we'll do it:-

@KnaresboroughBlue - the floor is now all yours to give us a clue and announce your selection when/if somebody guesses it.

@BimboBob - you can do the same on Wednesday 29th June (two weeks from now).

I'll be back on Thursday 30th June to round up the scores from KnaresboroughBlue's choice.

This may sound like sour grapes, but it’s not

I’ve stated before this thread is about experiencing music new to ourselves and giving impartial reviews rather than scoring points.

However I feel this particular nomination has attracted a number of Trekkie/Rushite interlopers who have rarely or never voted on this thread before,therefore scewing the results.it could’ve gone the other way with a number of Rush haters giving low marks which wouldve been equally as unjust.

Maybe we should have a rule about non contributors being unable to score until they’ve reviewed a number of albums.

Just a thought

it probably is sour grapes because I can’t stand Rush!

This may sound like sour grapes, but it’s not

I’ve stated before this thread is about experiencing music new to ourselves and giving impartial reviews rather than scoring points.

However I feel this particular nomination has attracted a number of Trekkie/Rushite interlopers who have rarely or never voted on this thread before,therefore scewing the results.it could’ve gone the other way with a number of Rush haters giving low marks which wouldve been equally as unjust.

Maybe we should have a rule about non contributors being unable to score until they’ve reviewed a number of albums.

Just a thought

it probably is sour grapes because I can’t stand Rush!
it's only a bit of fun mate. I would never have listened to the album if it wasn't for this thread. The scoring is by the by.

it's only a bit of fun mate. I would never have listened to the album if it wasn't for this thread. The scoring is by the by.
i know
my comment was a bit tongue in cheek.
i’d have been happy if was a Springsteen review that got all those 10s!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.