The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Interesting that. For me the best of Permanent Waves (Spirit, Science, Ladder) eclipses the best songs on MP.
And for me Spirit is right there, and Science is great too, but not the rest — we reviewed it on the @BlueHammer85 top 1,100 thread and while I don’t recall my score I remember thinking it was much more uneven than I recalled from my youth. I always thought Ladder was ponderous and Different Strings flat out poor. Just IMO.

Side 2 of Hems has Circumstances, The Trees and the magnificent LVS, which was meant as a joke to mark the end of their showmanship-for-its-own-sake phase (which is, let’s face it, a bit of a joke in itself, given the chops they kept needing to demonstrate for another few records). Pretty good line up there though.

Side 1 of Kings is also a good listen for me, along with Closer to the Heart. CTH demonstrated to me that they could write a pop song (it’s 2:45!!) that contained their natural bombast if they wanted to. Always wished they’d made more like it.

Last edited:
And for me Spirit is right there, and Science is great too, but not the rest — we reviewed it on the @BlueHammer85 top 1,100 thread and while I don’t recall my score I remember thinking it was much more uneven than I recalled from my youth. I always thought Ladder was ponderous and Different Strings flat out poor. Just IMO.

Side 2 of Hems has Circumstances, The Trees and the magnificent LVS, which was meant as a joke to mark the end of their showmanship-for-its-own-sake phase (which is, let’s face it, a bit of a joke in itself, given the chops they kept needing to demonstrate for another few records). Pretty good line up there though.

Side 1 of Kings is also a good listen for me, along with Closer to the Heart. CTH demonstrated to me that they could write a pop song (it’s 2:45!!) that contained their natural bombast if they wanted to. Always wished they’d made more like it.
The best closer I’ve heard is the one from Exit recorded in Glasgow I believe. I actually bought that album first so got to know the 80 & 81 tracks off there primarily before going back to the original records.

Entre Nous was certainly weak, but I do like Different Strings, especially that tantalising guitar outro section … very nice.
You say Ladder is ponderous, but I’d describe it as full of foreboding and tension, with a great central riff. Ironically ponderous, dull, featureless etc are all words I’d use to describe The Camera Eye.

Anyway, it’s all great stuff as we’re both fans of a wonderful band, certainly unique, and one of the finest ever.

Right, off to sleep, perchance to dream ;-)

The best closer I’ve heard is the one from Exit recorded in Glasgow I believe. I actually bought that album first so got to know the 80 & 81 tracks off there primarily before going back to the original records.

Entre Nous was certainly weak, but I do like Different Strings, especially that tantalising guitar outro section … very nice.
You say Ladder is ponderous, but I’d describe it as full of foreboding and tension, with a great central riff. Ironically ponderous, dull, featureless etc are all words I’d use to describe The Camera Eye.

Anyway, it’s all great stuff as we’re both fans of a wonderful band, certainly unique, and one of the finest ever.

Lovely closer to your post, speaking of such! Great convo with you (and everyone else here) as always!

Last edited:
For me a best of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures would be side 1 of each album.
I love Jacobs Ladder - brooding and dark and a complete contrast to the excellent Spirit of Radio.

Reactions: OB1

Side 2 of Hemispheres is superb. What an album side 1 of FTK and that would have been but the Cygnus stuff is good.

I like the Closer which is the closer on "A Show of Hands" - the kind of surf reggae coda is a wonderful addition in a live setting.

First of, apologies for missing out on 10cc, was too busy to properly hear it out, so thought fairest not to score on bitty listens.

Got my goes of this one though. Rush is one of those I generally think I Should really like, but always struggle to get into. Partly, maybe daunting how much material is out there and where to begin, partly, a lot of it is too long roo much for me.

This one doesnt have too many songs so it was easier from that point. I'm going for a 7, some great music spells there, and more so, it feels to me like a fair few bands I like have taken influences from bits. Parts still feel too long and complex at times, but overall, enjoyed the experience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.