The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Sorry not for me.
Vocals annoying reminds me of a cross between Anderson and Lee.Not a big fan of both.
The quiet intros then a wall of noise not my scene.Found it very samey,might be the voice though that is making it seem like that.
Some good guitar solos so for that a 3/10.

Sorry not for me.
Vocals annoying reminds me of a cross between Anderson and Lee.Not a big fan of both.
The quiet intros then a wall of noise not my scene.Found it very samey,might be the voice though that is making it seem like that.
Some good guitar solos so for that a 3/10.

Damn, Bimbo just got Bimboed.

Like a young Micah Richards, @Gaudion M bursts onto the scene and has scored a top-3 finish with his very first selection (as predicted by @journolud ).

The cold facts are 11 votes at a whopping average of 7.73 for Rodriguez's Cold Fact. I think that's one that we all enjoyed and it didn't score any lower than 6. Just a final plea to anybody who has not seen the film to make sure you watch it, without Googling first.

Before we move on, another reminder to all and sundry to get your "Spring Break" playlist nomination into @Coatigan via a PM. All are welcome, whether you've nominated before or not.

Now we move onto the final nomination of the round. @BimboBob has a hospital appointment this afternoon so he's set me up with this week's album - my fairly easy clues will be in the next post.
Glad everyone liked it. The back story made it a great choice for this thread but the story only works if there is something in the music. And there is something very distinctive in it. It's simple but it stays with you.

I will get in to GFV this week.

Correct. Here's what BimboBob had to say about the album:-

Greta Van Fleet - The Battle At Garden's Gate

I suppose there's loads of ways to grab the attention of the music world. Going straight to source and copying the greatest rock band in the world, Led Zeppelin, with a cheeky song that was more about getting noticed than plagiarism is probably the easiest. Especially when the lead singer of said rock band comes out and says "The new Led Zep" when asked about it. Cue the internet and it's vitriol all aimed at a four piece teen outfit of three brothers and a best mate. Still it had the desired effect and Greta Van Fleet were getting noticed. Chart topping EP's followed before an album was released to mixed reviews. Another followed, the vitriol continued and still does to this day. Got to love the internet.

My local record shop introduced me to Greta Van Fleet's The Battle At Garden's Gate a few months ago. The owner, A lovely man called Warren who is trying slightly too hard to hang onto his youth, has it in his head that when I'm well enough to visit him he needs to educate me musically. It was him who introduced me to Kaleo (you may remember them from a playlist I did) but when he put Greta Van Fleet on I sat astonished at what I was hearing. I knew nothing of the above back story just that that I really liked the record. I stayed for the whole album. And bought it.

It's been played most days since, apart from an eight day hospital visit where I didn't want my precious album associated with shit times, and it seems to be my go to album for a quiet contemplate, a sit down to ease the aches and pains, an album I find myself nodding along to automatically. It's become a very personal album which is why there won't be a song review. I like it. It's helped me through the last few months. If I had to pick one song it would be Broken Bells but it could be any of them. You get the idea.

Now put it on, without any preconceptions, and listen. You might like it.

I’m an early adopter of GVF, got all their albums and e.p., also seen them live.

Just a reminder to get your songs PM'd in for the playlist, ahead of Wednesday. Only a couple in so far, would hope to have as many as last time.

Still making my way through this album, and trying to teach myself not to find the voice irritating.

Last edited:
Just a reminder to het your songs PM'd in for the playlist, ahead of Wednesday. Only a couple in so far, would hope to have as many as last time.

Still making my way through this album, and trying to teach myself not to find the voice irritating.
I like Rush, and I don't mind Geddy Lee's voice, but Jake Kiszka's pipes are definitely the hardest part with this.

And that's coming from somebody who loved their EP and bought their first album! (not that his voice is startlingly different on this one, which is why I'm feeling confused about it).

I'm going to give this an 8. Swaying to 9, for the sheer audacity to put forward such a blatant rip-off album.

This has probably been one of the most turbulent choices in terms of my swinging opinion on it.

First listen, I would have gone somewhere between a 6 and a 7, on the assumption of being able to get over what I found a really annoying voice. I felt it quite fresh (I mean obviously it is a carbon copy of LZ, but how fresh that someone has chosen that to copy in this day in age, for a bit of a change).

Second listen, a 4 would have felt highly generous. The vocals got right on my tits, but aside from that, I had the whole 'if I wanted to listen to a Led Zep or to a lesser extent a Rush album, I would just have put on one of them' snobbery kick in.

After my 3rd listen, I am sitting at an easy 8, having reminded myself that music is actually just either good or bad, and it is our own elitism that makes us judge it on how new or borrowed it sounds. And this is ultimately very good (voice -notnthe singing - aside, but I've come to terms with it). I remember thinking that when Fog off-hand dismissed Biffy for sounding like the Foos or other grunge bands, or when Rob dismisses most UK indie bands, or when I myself am guilty of slating Oasis as just a glorified Beatles tribute band. Ultimately, happy to judge this one on what it sounds like and how it makes me feel. And I have thoughly enjoyed it.

So fuck it, down with smuggery (slightly ironic, on a Bimbo nomination), here's my first ever 9.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.