The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I'm going to give this an 8. Swaying to 9, for the sheer audacity to put forward such a blatant rip-off album.

This has probably been one of the most turbulent choices in terms of my swinging opinion on it.

First listen, I would have gone somewhere between a 6 and a 7, on the assumption of being able to get over what I found a really annoying voice. I felt it quite fresh (I mean obviously it is a carbon copy of LZ, but how fresh that someone has chosen that to copy in this day in age, for a bit of a change).

Second listen, a 4 would have felt highly generous. The vocals got right on my tits, but aside from that, I had the whole 'if I wanted to listen to a Led Zep or to a lesser extent a Rush album, I would just have put on one of them' snobbery kick in.

After my 3rd listen, I am sitting at an easy 8, having reminded myself that music is actually just either good or bad, and it is our own elitism that makes us judge it on how new or borrowed it sounds. And this is ultimately very good (voice -notnthe singing - aside, but I've come to terms with it). I remember thinking that when Fog off-hand dismissed Biffy for sounding like the Foos or other grunge bands, or when Rob dismisses most UK indie bands, or when I myself am guilty of slating Oasis as just a glorified Beatles tribute band. Ultimately, happy to judge this one on what it sounds like and how it makes me feel. And I have thoughly enjoyed it.

So fuck it, down with smuggery (slightly ironic, on a Bimbo nomination), here's my first ever 9.
Pretty much echoing my thoughts. Having got into GVF a couple of years ago it is so easy to dismiss them as a LZ tribute. But I think that is a bit of a cop out.
Personally his voice is part of the attraction, but I get it is a love/hate issue.

I'm going to give this an 8. Swaying to 9, for the sheer audacity to put forward such a blatant rip-off album.

This has probably been one of the most turbulent choices in terms of my swinging opinion on it.

First listen, I would have gone somewhere between a 6 and a 7, on the assumption of being able to get over what I found a really annoying voice. I felt it quite fresh (I mean obviously it is a carbon copy of LZ, but how fresh that someone has chosen that to copy in this day in age, for a bit of a change).

Second listen, a 4 would have felt highly generous. The vocals got right on my tits, but aside from that, I had the whole 'if I wanted to listen to a Led Zep or to a lesser extent a Rush album, I would just have put on one of them' snobbery kick in.

After my 3rd listen, I am sitting at an easy 8, having reminded myself that music is actually just either good or bad, and it is our own elitism that makes us judge it on how new or borrowed it sounds. And this is ultimately very good (voice -notnthe singing - aside, but I've come to terms with it). I remember thinking that when Fog off-hand dismissed Biffy for sounding like the Foos or other grunge bands, or when Rob dismisses most UK indie bands, or when I myself am guilty of slating Oasis as just a glorified Beatles tribute band. Ultimately, happy to judge this one on what it sounds like and how it makes me feel. And I have thoughly enjoyed it.

So fuck it, down with smuggery (slightly ironic, on a Bimbo nomination), here's my first ever 9.

This is why its so important not to judge a Album on a couple listens. It takes time to really appreciate and get it.

This is why its so important not to judge a Album on a couple listens. It takes time to really appreciate and get it.

Absolutely. I mean there is every chance my 4th listen would have be back at a 5, but, you know. Agree tho, many just take time to appreciate.

Jake Kiszka’s voice can be really annoying (as you’ll see when I do my review) but most UK indies bands would be immeasurably improved by subbing him in for whatever mumbler/whiner they are currently employing :)

And now a wee reminder to get your songs for Wednesday, currently we have a 4 song playlist.

I’m still listening, so I’m not ready with a score, and homages and rip-offs are fine with me, but I must comment.

This is literally the first Rush album, before Neil Peart, before the sci fi and fantasy stuff. At the time (1975) that was also called a Led Zep rip. Very, very different than what came later — much more bluesy and guitar-y.

I guess I can hear Robert Plant instead of Geddy Lee here. But again — Geddy sang like this on his first record. Guitar-wise this is more echoey and not as riffy or hooky as Page, even despite “Built By Nations” damn near sampling “Black Dog”.

My wife has another take — “This guy sounds a lot like that guy from Styx.”

As I have already stated, and can be proven empirically, the greatest Led Zep rip made is Soundgarden’s “Superunknown.” I don’t think it’s this.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.