The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

This has been a good listen.

Tempted to say , can we do this more regularly

It is certainly easier to put a song forward than an album.

I'm open to it more regularly, but it might mean splitting a round of album nominations.

If it does end up happening more often, I would suggest making some of them more 'themed' perhaps.

Very few clarkies and outside some early nominees for favourites no one yet put forward an allocation of songs unlike last time.

Might have something to do with the season and timelines for posters at present but I do think this is a much tougher list to allocate than the Christmas theme.

Have I clarkied myself by missing a change form posting the allocation on the forum to a pm as was the case over Christmas.

Naturally happy to pm if that is the case Coatigan.

Very few clarkies and outside some early nominees for favourites no one yet put forward an allocation of songs unlike last time.

Might have something to do with the season and timelines for posters at present but I do think this is a much tougher list to allocate than the Christmas theme.

Have I clarkied myself by missing a change form posting the allocation on the forum to a pm as was the case over Christmas.

No, still all to be posted on here. Everyone keeping their cards close to their chests this time it seems.

I'm out of the clarkie malarkey, given I know who's who. Happy to discuss my favourites though, I pretty much have a top 5, with some of the order yet to be set.

Enjoying it either way, and even the two crazy tunes have been ok.

I have my top 5 picked.Just the order.
I have struggled with half of the playlist so now down to 8 tacks for a top 5.
The Elton John track my biggest surprise like.Never heard before but my favourite Elton song is on the lp Private Dancer.
I wished I picked a female artist now but sadly 2 of the 3 female artists I really struggled with.

The playlist starts pretty intense with 2 heavy tracks. I enjoyed both. The first one, initially struggled with the amount of progressions, but the more I listened to it the more I find myself getting goosebumps, the speech fits well round the music, (or is it vice versa) and really builds a mood. The second of the two is excellent, a bit of a 'classic' metal feel to it. Just aggresive enough but not overly 'shouty'.

Then a nice return to earth and a calming of the senses palette cleanser, for me at least. Could really have done with being followed by the Cat Stevens song for a bit of a stretch of the mood, but works well on its own too.

Then the Elton John song for me the biggest surprise, really liked it.

Then WHACK, MIA steams in like being hit in the face with a wet fish. And Bjork like having a squirming octopus placed on your head.

Then a bit of head nodding blues riffing.

Really enjoyed Other Lives, again could do with being followed by Bears Den for a bit of consistency in mood for me. Both lovely songs. But at least it has Cat Stevens to follow, before a return to heavy, to inject some energy into it.

Surfs up a curveball to keep the element of surprise alive. A few ballads and power ballads, liked the Maria McKee tracknin particular. Than a good 80s pop-rock track, followed by a rhythmic jazzy heavy bassed piece. Finishing off with folky poetry of wonderful description and longing.

Whoever called it eclectic, got it bang on.

The playlist starts pretty intense with 2 heavy tracks. I enjoyed both. The first one, initially struggled with the amount of progressions, but the more I listened to it the more I find myself getting goosebumps, the speech fits well round the music, (or is it vice versa) and really builds a mood. The second of the two is excellent, a bit of a 'classic' metal feel to it. Just aggresive enough but not overly 'shouty'.

Then a nice return to earth and a calming of the senses palette cleanser, for me at least. Could really have done with being followed by the Cat Stevens song for a bit of a stretch of the mood, but works well on its own too.

Then the Elton John song for me the biggest surprise, really liked it.

Then WHACK, MIA steams in like being hit in the face with a wet fish. And Bjork like having a squirming octopus placed on your head.

Then a bit of head nodding blues riffing.

Really enjoyed Other Lives, again could do with being followed by Bears Den for a bit of consistency in mood for me. Both lovely songs. But at least it has Cat Stevens to follow, before a return to heavy, to inject some energy into it.

Surfs up a curveball to keep the element of surprise alive. A few ballads and power ballads, liked the Maria McKee tracknin particular. Than a good 80s pop-rock track, followed by a rhythmic jazzy heavy bassed piece. Finishing off with folky poetry of wonderful description and longing.

Whoever called it eclectic, got it bang on.

Ha, great summary

Just FYI there have indeed been one or two clarkies so far. Maybe we are just getting more subtle at it.

A very nice playlist and nothing I truly hated. Probably need a bit longer to come up with a top 5, deciding whether to favour tracks/artists I'm not familiar with. Current thinking...

Not for want of trying - Nice lively opening gives way to a cinematic accompaniment to that fantastic monologue, good stuff.
Prowler - Iron Maiden have always been a much easier listen for me than lots of other metal bands. This being the earlier line up I quite like the slightly less polished feel.
You were On My Mind - Classic 60s' pop and doesn't outstay it's welcome which it might have done if it was a bit longer
Madman Across The Water - I feel like someone dressed as a Stormtrooper at a Star Trek fancy dress party. Everyone seems to love it but I'm just not feeling it. At one level I can hear it's a well constructed and well performed song but it just leaves me cold.
Boyz - Not really for me I'm afraid, too linear and needs a bit more substance to the lyrics.
One Day - Don't mind a bit of Bjork now and again, be interested to know the thinking behind the choosing of this track though as I'm not sure it's one of the strongest on Debut
Busted - Like the Black Keys so no surprise I like this, anything that pays homage to the Fat Possum sound is good for me.
We Wait - Put in me in mind of Tindersticks in terms of writing style which is a good thing.
Into White - Yusef/Cat is someone I always feel I should become more familiar with but never get round to it. It's of it's era but nice nonetheless.
Trigger Inside - Not that shouty and not that noisy, ok but if anything would probably like it to be a bit more visceral
Surf's Up - Mentioned this in an earlier post, whilst some bits of Smile are great I don't understand it's reputation and I find this song soporific
Crow - Gentle and well considered , listened to their most recent album and enjoyed it. Definitely a top five candidate.
Blue Hotel - Ryan Adams should be in my wheelhouse but he's never quite cut through with me. I like this though.
Absolutely Barking Stars - know this song and like it a lot but might have been nice to have a bit of Lone Justice instead.
Under My Skin - On paper I should like Dan Reed Network more than I do, not bad find them a bit cliched at times.
Yellow Moon - What's not to love about a bit of Aaron and his brothers? Great track but not the best on this album imo.
Norland Wind - A very successful setting for a beautiful poem.

A great sample of music in this list. There's some I didn't really like, some were ok and a few that stood out. I can't begin to add names to song choices. Such a mix.

Maybeshewill. A band I've never heard of but I enjoyed the start but I'm not sure about the rest of it. Not a big fan of samples added to music in this way.

Iron Maiden. I have this album which is always a good start. Di'anno's vocals might not hit the heights of Dickinson but they are suited to this track.

Crispian St Peters. Never heard this before, I like his voice and the slow beat.

Elton John. Love a bit of 70's Mr John. He seems to build a track up slowly before, wham, things happen. I like the way he did things then. A master at work.

M.I.A. Not for me. Repetitive to the point of annoying.

Bjork. I think the word I'd use for this is 'challenging'. A few words would be 'all over the place'. Another couple of words would be 'It's Bjork'.

Black Keys. Nice bit of blues that I've never heard before. very easy on the ear. I've had to buy an album. Great tune.

Other Lives. A lovely voice to start with and then it's a western! Got to love a bit of western music. It's tinged with sadness though. Nice tune.

Cat Stevens. Another album I own and a song I know. It's not my favourite from the album, Miles From Nowhere grabs that title, but a good tune none the less.

Therapy? I think I might have called this shouty. It's grown on me. A little. The chorus is ok.

Brian Wilson. To my shame, even though I own Pet Sounds, I've never really got the Beach Boys. And this is no exception.

Bears Den. Not the track for me. Too slow. I know it's from the heart but it's not buttering any parsnips.

Ryan Adams. Another one that has gone in one ear and out the other. Apart from the distorted guitar at the end. More of that please. Otherwise it's lounge music.

Maria McKee. Nice voice. Nice tune. Just nice. Nothing else to say really. Didn't grab me.

Dan Reed. Promising start and then it gets all generic American 80's rock/ pop. I know there are better songs by him.

Neville Brothers. Very mellow. Not really my thing baby but I can appreciate the vibes. Erm...baby?

Frightened Rabbit. Another slow song and a bit too folkie for me.

My top 5.

Elton John.
Black Keys.
Other Lives.
Cat Stevens.
Iron Maiden.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.