The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I got into Groundhogs in the mid 70's when my Dad used to play their LP's at very loud volume, nodding out of time whilst nursing a large scotch. This was usually followed by a bellowed "I know them!"
As others have said, great write-up. In addition to sharing our favourite music, it’s these kind of stories that keep the thread great.

I don’t know you, or your dad, or the Groundhogs, but I can somehow picture that scene in my head! Feels like the kind of thing somebody should spin into a short story.

First listen and I am enjoying yet another new album experience....and my first thoughts were that The Groundhogs should be sueing Kings Of Leon for copyright infringement.
Unexpected opportunity to listen at home today whilst sorting fresh car insurance....Christmas is cancelled by the ways folks, as I killed Rudolph last night

Well...it's a bit loud but means a lot to me so I don't care...*blows raspberry *
Well... it's a bit enjoyable too, especially when needing to work out the match frustrations of yesterday. Just what the Dr. ordered.

Loud and bluesy, quite an enjoyable first listen today. I saw you had nominated Greta Van Fleet prior, so not surprised as this is right up the alley. It takes me back to early Zep and Cream days, and amazing this group and material was not more well known, especially in the States.

Well done, and a great backstory too as others have noted. More listens are needed for multiple reasons! Thank you.

I won't lie, two listens in, I'm so bored. They can play their instruments well and similar to other better known people who also play their instruments well. Great. They kinda sound like some other stuff that is well liked. Great. Does it offer anything beyond that? Not really. Well at least it is short.

Great write-up though which I thoroughly enjoyed, but 40 minutes of listening to you blow raspberries would be preferable.

I won't lie, two listens in, I'm so bored. They can play their instruments well and similar to other better known people who also play their instruments well. Great. They kinda sound like some other stuff that is well liked. Great. Does it offer anything beyond that? Not really. Well at least it is short.

Great write-up though which I thoroughly enjoyed, but 40 minutes of listening to you blow raspberries would be preferable.
I wouldn't have it in me!

my first thoughts were that The Groundhogs should be sueing Kings Of Leon for copyright infringement.
I think there're a few British indie bands that would be getting a letter from lawyers before the Kings of Leon ;)

Can see why Bimbos dad couldn't nod in beat, it's not easy....it's more of an air guitar around the kitchen, without "throwing the shapes"....more the embarrassing dad around the kitchen!

One listen in....well 5 songs in!

Yes....I like this ;)

To borrow the line, this is not the greatest song in the world, this is just a tribute. That's all I find myself feeling about this album, a collective tribute effort. Yes they picked out some good stuff to imitate, but imitation rock is all it is. The singer does a good Van Morrison impression, the guitarist does a good Hendrix impression, there are some good riffs, for me it is disjointed and doesn't do anything of its own, beyond sounding reminiscent of more popular (better) bands. They certainly deserve credit for getting there before the likes of deep purple and led zep who did the same but did it much better, and maybe timing worked in their favour, maybe these laid some of the foundation for that to happen. Split pt 4 had me nodding my head for all of maybe 40 seconds, the rest of it bored the life out of me. Sat there waiting for them each to finish their individual somewhat pointless showboating, to see if they would actually get to a song in there somewhere. Ironically, my last nomination actually used that same sound and borrowed that same style and had a similar structure. But I at least felt a mood in there, a purpose, a beginning and an end. Most of this sounded like one long drawn out middle. 4 out of 10 and that's including a point for the write-up, which will stick with me far longer than anything off the album.

I'm not too sure to make of this album really. It's got bits of everything I like in music from this era - bit of "hard rock", psychedelia, some good riffs, great improvisations, some catchy parts and I was surprised it was made in 1971 as I think Coatigan said, it sounds like they got in slightly earlier than some other bands of the era with their sound.

My biggest gripe though is that it doesn't seem to go anywhere. It promises a lot but never seems to hit the sweetspot.

After the Split 1-4 I was hoping that it would move on. Spotify showed that Cherry Red had the most plays with 3m so I was hoping for something which was clearly the best track on the album. It wasn't bad, but it was too samey.

I definitely didn't dislike this, but I was just maybe hoping for something more. I'd probably come back to this again in future but at this moment in time it's not for a while.

5/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.