The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

The "doesn't sound too dated" is important here.

This album came out 30 years ago, and one of the reasons it doesn't sound too dated is that he's been such a massive influence on electronic music since.

I can see a lot of people are listening to it for the first time here, and that does take away a lot of the context. Under various pseudonyms he released multiple EPs and albums within a year or so of this, and, while some songs sound like he's just recorded the hoover for two minutes, there were enough new ideas to sustain other artists' careers for years.
And thats the good insight I'm talking about, nice one.

The "doesn't sound too dated" is important here.

This album came out 30 years ago, and one of the reasons it doesn't sound too dated is that he's been such a massive influence on electronic music since.

I can see a lot of people are listening to it for the first time here, and that does take away a lot of the context. Under various pseudonyms he released multiple EPs and albums within a year or so of this, and, while some songs sound like he's just recorded the hoover for two minutes, there were enough new ideas to sustain other artists' careers for years.

Totally agree with this. One that has to be reviewed in light of it's release date. If I get chance I'll expand my view later but if I don't you've probably summed it up better than me anyway.

Thanks for responding, as it made me realise I put this on the wrong thread (it was for the playlist).
Yeah, I was thinking the same on the placement, but was having so much fun reading about the Golden Gate Bridge, fault lines, other bridges over troubled waters, and new reviewers on this week's selection that I figured someone had this one corrected.

I too welcome new voices. One of the benefits to not being newest to the gig is not going last in the selection cycle! ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.