The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

First, I get now that the title is a bit of a joke and reading up on the history of this musician I recogniz(s)e there’s little you can trust about him so all you’re left with is his music. I say music and not songs, because reading a bit of the rapturous fawning by music critics over the differences among the “varied” tunes when this came out in 92, I struggle to understand it. What’s the same (and good) song to song is a reasonably solid backbeat, and the melody and layover sounds and atmospherics do vary, true — but in quality, not interest. Some are intriguing and even approaching beauty, but a few are grating (bad industrial vs. good industrial) or even awful, raising suspicions that the artist is clowning about on purpose. I don’t view that as “different”; it’s just variations on a theme, and plenty of experimentation to see what spaghetti sticks to the wall (and ignoring that sometimes it doesn’t). In fact if over seven years (if it really was seven — again, you can’t trust this guy) this is the tip-top, absolute very best he could come up with, whilst sleeping only 2-3 hours a night (if you believe him) then honestly this output is a bit feeble and some of what made it on this record wouldn’t have had he worked harder.

All this said — I liked a lot of it — especially the first three, Music Makers, and Heliosphere. What I didn’t like as much was Green Calx and and Schottkey. All else was listenable enough, as befits ambiclubhousedance and my sensibilities. What I liked best was that there was a conflict within me as to whether I should move or sit. The ones I liked best also kept my intellectual interest — tracking tempo or note changes and enjoying them when they (eventually) occurred. And that tension between move and sit appears to be what he’s going for here, and pulls off admirably.

I come away thinking 75% of this was a quite pleasurable listen and I’d happily put it on when the mood strikes, not expecting more depth in the music, but adding depth to whatever I happened to be doing at the moment. The other 25% — eh, where is that skip button, let’s get to a better one?

Put it this way — I was listening to Pulsewidth (my favourite) while driving across the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset on a clear day, and it did lift an always pleasurable experience (when there’s no traffic) to a somewhat ethereal one.

So I guess it’s an ambient after all.

7/10 and a nice selection.

Last edited:
Put it this way — I was listening to Pulsewidth (my favourite) while driving across the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset on a clear day, and it did lift an always pleasurable experience (when there’s no traffic) to a somewhat ethereal one.
To quote from the ever quotable Life of Brian:-

"You lucky, jammy bastard!"

It probably wouldn't have the same effect driving on the M60 bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal.

Good pick that raised a few interesting points but I'm not going to be able to post a review till later as something has come up but for now I'll chuck in my score as 7/10, which if I'm being honest reflects me playing the man not just the ball.

As predicted abit marmite this one, but glad some here discovered something new, as I have with many of the previous selections. So thank you all for giving it some time and your ratings.
As Rob said, you lucky bastard, that in itself did give me an instant image and a tinge of jealousy. I cant quite match the Golden Gate, but shall try that going over the Glenshane Pass on my way to work this afternoon. That image alone almost made my nomination worthwhile.
Ultimately, we are a group of middle aged to older men, listening to an album not written for middle aged to older men, in settings and routines it was probably not intended to be listened to.
Certainly agree with that a case of "old dog, new tricks", but I was present with an image of you making the most of your free house and you and your mates enjoying a nice game of Cluedo with this playing in the background...and I am betting it wasn't a few cans it was Harveys Bristol cream.

I'm not part of the review club but like to check out what you are looking and saying about it, some good insight. I'm listening while working and feels right for this, just enough up and down tempo for me and doesn't sound too dated. I'd give it a solid 7.
The "doesn't sound too dated" is important here.

This album came out 30 years ago, and one of the reasons it doesn't sound too dated is that he's been such a massive influence on electronic music since.

I can see a lot of people are listening to it for the first time here, and that does take away a lot of the context. Under various pseudonyms he released multiple EPs and albums within a year or so of this, and, while some songs sound like he's just recorded the hoover for two minutes, there were enough new ideas to sustain other artists' careers for years.

I'm not part of the review club but like to check out what you are looking and saying about it, some good insight. I'm listening while working and feels right for this, just enough up and down tempo for me and doesn't sound too dated. I'd give it a solid 7.
You've given it a review and a score, so technically you are a member now!

Feel free to join in the discussions and voting of any of the albums - new voices are always appreciated.

As Rob said, you lucky bastard, that in itself did give me an instant image and a tinge of jealousy. I cant quite match the Golden Gate, but shall try that going over the Glenshane Pass on my way to work this afternoon. That image alone almost made my nomination worthwhile.
GlenShane Pass , that brings back a few memories,X was from Derry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.