The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

The "doesn't sound too dated" is important here.

This album came out 30 years ago, and one of the reasons it doesn't sound too dated is that he's been such a massive influence on electronic music since.

I can see a lot of people are listening to it for the first time here, and that does take away a lot of the context. Under various pseudonyms he released multiple EPs and albums within a year or so of this, and, while some songs sound like he's just recorded the hoover for two minutes, there were enough new ideas to sustain other artists' careers for years.
I understand this perspective, agree with it, and figured someone might offer it up. Influence is importance to greatness. I'm still stunned I missed this at the time.

That said, reading up on it, critics of the day overrated this IMO. And don't get me wrong -- I liked it. But a lot of these ideas weren't new -- Eno did a lot of similar stuff without the move/BPM-quotient for years prior (hence what I think is the joke in the album title -- James knew it wasn't "new"). Kraftwerk -- now THAT was "new", back then.

apologies.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient 85-92

The enigma that is Aphex Twin (Richard D James)
Very interesting pick for me, one because I've seen Aphex live and previously owned 'Come To Daddy' both a totally different experience to listening to this, Live was a heavy dance set.
Also, a brave pick considering my recent choice of Chemical Brothers got rather slated and that had a couple of chart hits whereas this does not.
Very true that we do have to take into consideration when this was produced, like so many Album choices - It's easy to dismiss these sounds because we're so accustomed to them,nowadays most PlayStation/Xbox games have similar music/
I like the overall feel and sound throughout, it is dark and eerie.
Some nice melody and ambience in 'Xtal' and 'Pulsewidth' - two favourites on here.
'Green Calx' was the closest to Chem Brothers so enjoyed that one and a nice break from the Ambiance.
'Ptolemy' and 'Delphium' I could quite happily take some illegal substance and dance too.
There's a good few that do ponder and don't really go anywhere and could be cut short by a few mins.
Enjoyed listening staring out window on train and for a run, so will get an extra bonus point for that, but felt it needed more stand out tracks to score any higher.

6/10

Now for a much needed spin...

Last edited:
Just in the nick of time, BH brings the average up from 4-point-nine-something to a nice round 5.0 for Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92. 15 votes in total, which was a good old listen for @LGWIO's first nomination. I think it's fair to say that he split the vote with this one, and it's down near the bottom of the table with The Chemical Brothers and Michael Stearns.

Anyway, looks like @denislawsbackheel is waiting in the wings with this week's nomination.

As many will know on here I love travel. Since retiring and pre-covid there weren’t many months when me and Mrs. DLBH weren’t away somewhere. Long weekends are popular here and abroad but a few times we went on reasonably long road trips.

We have driven to and toured Northumberland, the Cotswolds, Scotland and further afield all over France and the Cote D’Azur for a month and Italy for two weeks.

Modern car technology means I can hook up my Spotify playlists to the car stereo to provide a soundtrack for our drives.

Matt Monro was the choice for the moyenne corniche, James was a continual presence years ago but for as long as I can remember there is one album and one artist that fits the bill for us perfectly when we don’t want to be challenged, we don’t want to concentrate, we just want to enjoy bloody good lyrics, well sung, that we can belt out to our hearts content as we roll along the autoroutes a peage, the autostrades and the motorways.

It gives me great pleasure to offer up this week’s contribution, a choice that I know is going leave at least one contributor purple with rage, I offer you…

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band’s Greatest Hits.

14 tracks of good melodic rock and roll with some sublime lyrics it was released in 1994 and sold in the millions.

It is just up my street. No electronic droning sending you to sleep, no heavy improvisation, no noodling and doodling solos, no challenging intellectual compositions. Just honest, catchy lyrical rock music mostly written and composed by a master of his craft encapsulating his life and sharing it with us.

Track listing

1. Roll Me Away

Musically, it's driven by piano and drums a song about freedom without responsibility and a whole lot of not much else. But who has not at some point yearned to say stuff it, get on his bike/car and just go…?

2. Night Moves

One of Bob Seger's biggest hits of all time, this is a great song from beginning to end. Starting with an acoustic guitar riff, Bob Seger then sings some great lyrics that make you remember the past, especially those crazy early days of sexual awakening. “I used her, she used me, but neither one cared. We were getting our share…” It's also quite long for an acoustic song so it really has an epic feel to it. This is just another classic song.

3. Turn the Page

Coming right after "Night Moves" is another successful hit song. A slow song with some good saxophone this song lays bare the hardships of the life of the travelling musician on the road. There’s a great YouTube documentary video of the early days of the Kursaal Flyers driving up and down the A1 in a battered old Bedford van following their life on the road. That video and this song complement each other beautifully capturing the hardships of being on the road and all the pressures of the rock and roll lifestyle.

4. You'll Accomp'ny Me

A schmaltzy love ballad but with an arrangement and singing Seger gets away with it.

5. Hollywood Nights

This song is another popular radio tune by Bob Seger. A running bass line is a good hook and wonderful lyrics. This is a great song for a long drive.

6. Still the Same

Starting with a nice piano riff, Seger seems to get a bit serious in this song with his lyrics. He is catching up with a long time friend who seems to gamble to the edge and gets away every time. Has Seger tried to help him quit? Was he rebuffed? Whatever, he ends up walking away from his friend.

7. Old Time Rock and Roll

Back to the rock and rollin' with an old rock cover. A song for FOCs like me who can’t stand most modern music. Maybe I’m just jaundiced, like Mark Radcliffe who no longer listens to new music because he says all he hears are poor versions of past greats. So just leave me alone to play through my fifty year old vinyl collection, that’s good enough for me.

8. We've Got Tonight

A ballad like song apparently inspired by the scene from The Sting where Robert Redford tries to hit on the waitress who’s really a hit woman preparing to plug Redford. It’s about a hoped for one night stand. Redolent of Loudon Wainwright IIIs “Motel Blues”.

9. Against the Wind

An upbeat yet serious rocker I love driving along listening to this one. Again and again, Seger writes some lyrics that fit the music perfectly. The first verse ends with the ominous line, “Wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then,” one of the great rock and roll lines of all time to a maudlin FOC like me. The piano is really well done again in this song and combined with everything else that's great in this song, make for a classic.

10. Mainstreet

A lovely opening electric guitar riff that you'll hear throughout the entire song Bob does a fantastic job singing and this song is a really sad song. A young teenage Bob becomes obsessed by the local club window dancer, whose looks and moves enchant him.

11. The Fire Inside

The longest song on the album, that is drums driven with a catchy piano riff. Seger could knock out songs like this about the human spirit’s indefatigability throughout his career. This is one of his best.

12. Like a Rock

This timeless nostalgic song was actually written by Seger at the end of an 11 year relationship. However its poignancy applies to all phases of life as I look back at my youth and consider arthritic, stooped old age I like to think, or maybe fool myself, that was me back then.

13. C'est La Vie

I don’t know why Seger chose to put a Chuck Berry cover on this album and not Ship of Fools but it lets the album down in my opinion.

14. In Your Time

Written for his son when he was born this song beautifully captures the joys and pitfalls that await us all as we travel through life.

Enjoy.

Interesting choice.

I think I've probably heard the odd Seger song here and there, but never sat and listened to his music. I suspect some of this will be right up my street.

A fellow I used to work with and had a lot of shared musical tastes with declared Bob Seger as a guilty pleasure to me once and seemed put out when I disclosed his appreciation for him in company.

I thought I had a Bob Seger album in my vinyl collection but turns out I haven’t. Must have been in the days before I sold my initial vinyl collection before starting a new one. I do have a couple of tracks from this in my downloads though, namely Hollywood Nights and Against the Wind and frankly am astonished that Feel Like a Number isn’t on it, as good a song as you would like to hear.

I can see why Bob Seger might not be to everyone’s taste, he can be a bit formulaic and that possibly accounts for me not having delved too far into his catalogue. I am looking forward to listening to this though, I expect it will be just what it says on the tin, or rather dennis’ tin or whatever but I’m fine with that.

I'm just going to be blunt: Bob Seger is one of my least favo(u)rite artists of all time, and this is a Greatest Hits record.

It's possible he's my LEAST favo(u)rite.

I've admitted to liking the occasional Radiohead song. Unlike Radiohead and the Eagles -- for whom I have well-placed contempt (for their grifting hypocrisy) -- I bear no ill will whatsoever against Seger.

I don't/won't have any nasty things to say about his abilities. I won't write a scathing criticism. I realiz(s)e it's merely aural and personal.

I simply detest every single hit of his -- and I mean ALL of them. He is an instant knob-turner, and has been my whole life, from "Night Moves" on.

I might listen to those here I don't know, but I won't subject myself to the rest. I likely won't score it, because that wouldn't be fair.

I apologis(z)e in advance.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.