The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I am not tone deaf so this statement is factually incorrect :).

I agree with it!

It is no secret that country-tinged americana rock-lite is not for me. But I can see why this would appeal to so many people, particularly in the states.

First pass, I am in the beetroot camp. But I gave some far more obscure and polarising albums that were not at all my thing a real go recently, and will do the same with this, which happens to be a lot more accessible.

I’ve always considered Bob Seger as a poor mans Bruce Springsteen, that not to say I don’t like him.I first heard’Main Street’ when it was released back in 1976 and then bought the album ‘Night Moves’ on the strength of it.I was disappointed as it definitely wasn’t ‘Born To Run’.However I continued to purchase his albums as I like the overall sound and his voice and it’s great music to drive to, so i definitely get where DLBH is coming from.I don’t think any of his albums are classics though , theres always quite a lot of fillers on most of them. ‘The Distance’ is probably my favourite.As I had most of the albums on vinyl , I was delighted when this came out and bought the CD and played it to death.
i think nominating a greatest hits album is a bit of a cop out but in this case is definitely a great choice and I’ll look forward to listening to it again as it years since I played it ,although a number of tracks can still be heard constantly on US radio.
Bit of trivia BS now lives in Naples Florida as yet I haven’t seen him around but a few of my mates have met him and say he’s a nice guy.

8/10 would’ve been 9 but for the Chuck Berry cover.

good choice Dennis, sorry Foggy.

good choice Dennis, sorry Foggy.
No skin off my nose as I have mentioned; however, if I see grade inflation due to the Greatest Hits nature of this I may need to lob a score in just to keep things honest. You in fact mention that his records have a lot of filler (my God, those tunes must be like Dante’s Ninth Level) so if this is a particular case of a singles artist forcing his fans to buy a lot of dross just to get the song they like, I may have to change my view on him from “honest musician whose music I cannot abide” to “cynical grifting middlebrow taking advantage of his hapless fans by producing music that appeals to the lowest common denominator and covering it in shit because he knows they’ll pay $9.99 a pop for four minutes on a 40 minute record.”

It’s already Red Red Wine — the song I hate more than any other.

But you could also pick Casual Conversations for single-handedly ruining Breakfast In America, which is tremendous in all other respects.
Amazingly that mention this song by ST as it is one of the worst tracks I have ever heard and one of the reasons I don't listen to the album in full at all these days but I agree the album is otherwise a great listen all things considered albeit Fools Overture is for reasons I still don't know is the only song of theirs I have on my playlist.

Red Red Wine again a shocker and I like some with the emphasis on some of Neil Diamonds material a lot.

I am actually starting to believe Fog that I am an older facsimile of you when it comes to musical tastes but am happy if I ever come across something we demur on to state my case as to why but I am starting to think that might not happen at all which concerns me a tad (LOL).

Oh come on...it's not that bad. He's a musician. You like musicians. Imagine if it was the greatest hits by Bros. Or Jedwood. Or Pee-wee Herman.
Then I’d get to listen to something new and decide to hate it so I’d learn something! :)

Here I already know I hate all of it, save for the two songs I don’t know.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.