The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

Please Miss, the hamster ate my homework which is why I'm only now posting a few thoughts on Aphex Twin...

I do think as others said this was a classic example of an album that must be viewed in the context of the time it was released. I think it was @denislawsbackheel who made a comment about using garageband auto settings to get the same outcome, It made me smile because I was actually sat in front of Ableton and Analog Lab when I read that and given such software allows even a muppet like me to do something ‘creative’ I can understand why listening to an opening track like Xtal it’s pretty easy to get lured into the idea it’s no great shakes.

But then I thought about the fact that when this album was released, Ableton didn’t even exist as a company and neither did the company that makes my highly integrated/easy to use midi-keyboard and I think you have to see it in a different light. I tend to think that without pioneers like James popularising and legitimising stuff and inspiring others, the market for the plethora of tech we all now take for granted probably doesn’t exist, at least not at the very democratized and laughably low consumer type prices that mean we can now access and enjoy truly fantastic software/hardware instruments. I also note that despite there being thousands of Aphex Twin soundalike Ableton Live projects that you can download, by and large they mostly don’t quite nail it; which is also the case with various musicians who’ve also had a go at his work and don’t quite get there. This is unsurprising to me because he’s always been obsessed with experimenting (or messing around depending on your viewpoint) with creating unique sounds as much as he is interested in music in the conventional sense of the word.

If you watch something like his Barbican performance of sort of Steve Reich’s Pendulum, you might oscillate (pardon the pun) between thinking he’s a total chancer or a genius. I veer towards thinking he’s basically partly a sonic mad scientist and partly a light on his feet geezer. Some of his experiments come to nothing; some you can’t make up your mind, but some are otherworldly. But given all the (self-declared) bullshit he comes out with I’m never 100% sure and I quite like that. For example, I still can’t decide if 2015’s Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Pt 2 (which is exactly what it sounds like) is basically crazed experimental jazz underpinned by a really interesting concept that he’d had in his mind since making a previous album Drukqs or just someone taking the piss and/or having a bit of a breakdown. He seems to take great delight in throwing the listener off balance which I personally think is an admirable trait in an artist and imo makes him pretty much always interesting. More to the point throwing all this stuff out there the good, the bad and the possible pisstake provides fertile soil for other artists and even companies to build upon.

In 2023 some of this album does sound a bit meh to be honest but as @Out on blue 6 said it was properly groundbreaking stuff that we now take for granted. Even judging by today's standards some of the tracks absolutely still stand up today; the fact that there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement in the thread about which those tracks are again illustrates to me how hard he is to pin down. If I’d scored solely on the album it would have been a 6 because not enough of it resonates for me personally, but to not recognise his value and contribution to modern music seemed churlish so I added an extra point to at least acknowledge this.

I also note that no-one was prepared to address the elephant in the room, namely that had he not produced this album maybe Thom Yorke and his mates would have faded away and got proper jobs :-)

Anyway onto Bob Seger, who slightly bizarrely given how famous he is I have never really listened to, so for me a Greatest Hits is absolutely fine and dandy. Really looking forward to it especially as the posts to date show a huge variance of opinion from all ends of the BM music spectrum.

Quick question.....
You have a bonfire and can only throw one item onto it....is it
a. Pete Bob Segers Greatest Hits
b. A Liverpool scarf
Bob Seger’s Greatest Hits.

I’d piss on the Liverpool scarf.

Nah, it’d be the scarf. As I said — I bear the man and his music no ill will. I just hate his songs. @Coatigan has come up with some very thoughtful reasons as to maybe why it doesn’t work for me, but I can’t really claim them as a rationale for myself, because I was like 11 or 12 when I first heard Night Moves, instantly hated it, then have hated each and every song I have ever heard by him since.

Please Miss, the hamster ate my homework which is why I'm only now posting a few thoughts on Aphex Twin...

I do think as others said this was a classic example of an album that must be viewed in the context of the time it was released. I think it was @denislawsbackheel who made a comment about using garageband auto settings to get the same outcome, It made me smile because I was actually sat in front of Ableton and Analog Lab when I read that and given such software allows even a muppet like me to do something ‘creative’ I can understand why listening to an opening track like Xtal it’s pretty easy to get lured into the idea it’s no great shakes.

But then I thought about the fact that when this album was released, Ableton didn’t even exist as a company and neither did the company that makes my highly integrated/easy to use midi-keyboard and I think you have to see it in a different light. I tend to think that without pioneers like James popularising and legitimising stuff and inspiring others, the market for the plethora of tech we all now take for granted probably doesn’t exist, at least not at the very democratized and laughably low consumer type prices that mean we can now access and enjoy truly fantastic software/hardware instruments. I also note that despite there being thousands of Aphex Twin soundalike Ableton Live projects that you can download, by and large they mostly don’t quite nail it; which is also the case with various musicians who’ve also had a go at his work and don’t quite get there. This is unsurprising to me because he’s always been obsessed with experimenting (or messing around depending on your viewpoint) with creating unique sounds as much as he is interested in music in the conventional sense of the word.

If you watch something like his Barbican performance of sort of Steve Reich’s Pendulum, you might oscillate (pardon the pun) between thinking he’s a total chancer or a genius. I veer towards thinking he’s basically partly a sonic mad scientist and partly a light on his feet geezer. Some of his experiments come to nothing; some you can’t make up your mind, but some are otherworldly. But given all the (self-declared) bullshit he comes out with I’m never 100% sure and I quite like that. For example, I still can’t decide if 2015’s Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Pt 2 (which is exactly what it sounds like) is basically crazed experimental jazz underpinned by a really interesting concept that he’d had in his mind since making a previous album Drukqs or just someone taking the piss and/or having a bit of a breakdown. He seems to take great delight in throwing the listener off balance which I personally think is an admirable trait in an artist and imo makes him pretty much always interesting. More to the point throwing all this stuff out there the good, the bad and the possible pisstake provides fertile soil for other artists and even companies to build upon.

In 2023 some of this album does sound a bit meh to be honest but as @Out on blue 6 said it was properly groundbreaking stuff that we now take for granted. Even judging by today's standards some of the tracks absolutely still stand up today; the fact that there seems to be quite a bit of disagreement in the thread about which those tracks are again illustrates to me how hard he is to pin down. If I’d scored solely on the album it would have been a 6 because not enough of it resonates for me personally, but to not recognise his value and contribution to modern music seemed churlish so I added an extra point to at least acknowledge this.

I also note that no-one was prepared to address the elephant in the room, namely that had he not produced this album maybe Thom Yorke and his mates would have faded away and got proper jobs :-)

Anyway onto Bob Seger, who slightly bizarrely given how famous he is I have never really listened to, so for me a Greatest Hits is absolutely fine and dandy. Really looking forward to it especially as the posts to date show a huge variance of opinion from all ends of the BM music spectrum.
This is very thoughtful (as usual) and agree with a lot of it but I would note that even in the context of the time there were some who pointed out that it really wasn’t that ground-breaking and I think that even James probably knew that. I’d bet he got a good chuckle watching some music critics falling all over themselves to praise it. That said, in the US the early-90s DIY ethos went the direction of lo-fi vs. acid house (as my selection when I’m up will underscore) so as much as I love techno/dance (and I do) I probably can’t appreciate the influence on others enough, having missed this at the time it was released. What can I say — in 1992 I was getting married!!

LOL, nope not that one, a 2nd hand car dealer in South London!

Lol, I did wonder how old you were, though Seeger did live till a ripe old age!
Strange that my gateway into the world of Seeger and further back to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly et al, was a big nosed ex squadie from Barking.

As for the Seger we're reviewing, it's already quite confusing. My first pass elicited the same reaction the Eagles do (not a good thing) but then I clicked on a random song (2+2=) not on this album and thought it was a banger.

Lol, I did wonder how old you were, though Seeger did live till a ripe old age!
Strange that my gateway into the world of Seeger and further back to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly et al, was a big nosed ex squadie from Barking.

As for the Seger we're reviewing, it's already quite confusing. My first pass elicited the same reaction the Eagles do (not a good thing) but then I clicked on a random song (2+2=) not on this album and thought it was a banger.
It does sound as if we have many of the same bits of vinyl...I also own "A Vision Shared"

That suprised me, thought it was a cover which could have been a bit cringey. pleased to find out it wasn't.
Well, it WAS covered, but Bob originally wrote it back in 1978. You're probably thinking of the 1983 version that Kenny Rogers did with Sheena Easton that was widely popular?

wiki knows:

We've Got Tonite" is a song written by American rock music artist Bob Seger, from his album Stranger in Town (1978). The single record charted twice for Seger, and was developed from a prior song that he had written. Further versions charted in 1983 for Kenny Rogers as a duet with Sheena Easton, and again in 2002 for Ronan Keating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.