The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

That suprised me, thought it was a cover which could have been a bit cringey. pleased to find out it wasn't.

I always thought the Chuck Berry song was called You Never Can Tell; imagine my disappointment when I got to C'est La Vie and it wasn't a B*witched cover :-)

Bob Seger’s Greatest Hits.

I’d piss on the Liverpool scarf.

Nah, it’d be the scarf. As I said — I bear the man and his music no ill will. I just hate his songs. @Coatigan has come up with some very thoughtful reasons as to maybe why it doesn’t work for me, but I can’t really claim them as a rationale for myself, because I was like 11 or 12 when I first heard Night Moves, instantly hated it, then have hated each and every song I have ever heard by him since.
OK
We know you don’t like it.
Stop being tiresome now.
I think Roxy Music are shite but I only said it once.

OK
We know you don’t like it.
Stop being tiresome now.
I think Roxy Music are shite but I only said it once.
Uhhhhh . . . yo, sport: YOU picked it.

You even noted in your review how “purple with rage” a certain poster would be.

I’d say that’s perhaps baiting the hook, no?

And I’m not going to even score it unless there’s grade inflation.

I'll get this one out the way early. I've powered through two listens, I'm comfortable that this is not the type of album that a 3rd would reveal anything more to me.

I don't think it is a surprise to either of us that my and dlbh's tastes, and attitudes, are quite different. And my discomfort with this type/genre is known.

I could leave it there and opt out with a polite personal dismissal. But I do think that would be somewhat discourteous and passive. So I'll show my respect here by giving it my time and honest thoughts, like with any other album by anyone else.

He is obviously a very capable musician, with good guitar skills and a pleasant voice. And a whole back catalogue of successful songs that many like. It is certainly far more accessible and easier listen to than most of the latest albums we have had. It is, to borrow from bimbo, 'nice'.

That in itself is probably a compliment. For me, that is not enough or what I'm after. It is conventional, safe, unoriginal, repetative, and completely formulaic. It doesn't challenge me, doesn't seem to challenge itself. It feels done for the masses, diluted enough that neither your teenage daughter nor granny will really mind it, and both can be happy with it on. Basically, it is the fucking foo fighters, minus the wristbands and the frowning.

The best song on it for me was we've got tonight, I know a cover. Night moves is a good song too. Beyond that, it was all a bit samey. Now that could be either 'because of' the fact it is a greatest hits album, and he handpicked very similar popular songs. Or it could be 'in spite of' that fact. I don't know enough to think one way or the other. My natural expectation of a best of album would be more variety, with a bigger range to pick from.

While it didn't do much for me musically, what it did do, was make me question myself, and my habits. I.e whether I tend to inherently repel the more popular, and gravitate towards niche. But I think that's just how it tends to fall, and it is not through conscious intent. The widely popular and rated albums tend to, for me, feel diluted and done for the lowest common denominator. And I've found that when I am put off by bands I actually like, becoming popular. I.e it is not their popularity I have an issue with, but the gradual removal of what I found unique and individual to them. And that's what this felt like, and I was not surprised when hammer posted the sales fact.

Having gone this far, might as well put a score against it now. It feels wrong to give this a lower score than I have to some recent albums that it is clearly 'better' than in most conventional senses. But this isn't bloody masterchef here, and I am not taking the role of a talent judge or critic. I'm simply putting an arbitrary number to my reaction to an album, which to me is probably a 4. A 3, given that it is a greatest hits and for that the standard should be somewhat higher.
Well put , much you do about nothing , a cop out of sorts even more so than coming and going and thinking well that was time lost it grates in the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.