The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I've just had a fascinating interchange in the car with my 16 year old which speaks to your paragraphs that I've highlighted. I say fascinating because it was both completely at odds with your perspective whilst simultaneously sort of supporting it in relation to this album. This is it pretty much verbatim:

16 Year Old: Is this the album of the week?

Me: Yes, it's a guy called Bob Seger. It's his greatest hits.

16YO: Preferred Aphex Twin

Me: Actually, this is proving as divisive

16YO (pejoratively): This sounds like it's been written by an AI

Me: (playing devil's advocate): Do you not think there's a certain irony saying that, given that you've just said you prefer Aphex Twin

16YO: No and you know exactly what I mean

Me: Do I?

(at which point I remembered I was supposed to be the grown up and that we were pretty much at our destination anyway, so we agreed it was an interesting way of describing it and we should talk about it further).

Bearing mind he's guitar mad I thought it was really interesting that he viewed this organically created music as less 'human' than the computer generated output of last weeks pick. I'll find out later but I'm guessing he was referring to a combination of personality and inventiveness which he felt was lacking.
Interesting. I would support his views to some extent because trying to see it from a 16 year-old's point-of-view, I can see where he's coming from.

I don't think there's anything particularly inventive on this Seger album - which would be guaranteed to bore younger listeners - and given that it's the Greatest Hits album of a "Heartland Rocker", I was surprised by the lack of guitar on it. The best bits are the keyboard, but they are few and far between.

Something I meant to say in my review was that the dominant sound of this album is Bob singing his heart out ably supported by his backing singers. I need more instruments and I can imagine your son feeling the same way.

Stick Tom Petty's Greatest Hits on and I'm sure he'd have a different reaction.

I've just had a fascinating interchange in the car with my 16 year old which speaks to your paragraphs that I've highlighted. I say fascinating because it was both completely at odds with your perspective whilst simultaneously sort of supporting it in relation to this album. This is it pretty much verbatim:

16 Year Old: Is this the album of the week?

Me: Yes, it's a guy called Bob Seger. It's his greatest hits.

16YO: Preferred Aphex Twin

Me: Actually, this is proving as divisive

16YO (pejoratively): This sounds like it's been written by an AI

Me: (playing devil's advocate): Do you not think there's a certain irony saying that, given that you've just said you prefer Aphex Twin

16YO: No and you know exactly what I mean

Me: Do I?

(at which point I remembered I was supposed to be the grown up and that we were pretty much at our destination anyway, so we agreed it was an interesting way of describing it and we should talk about it further).

Bearing mind he's guitar mad I thought it was really interesting that he viewed this organically created music as less 'human' than the computer generated output of last weeks pick. I'll find out later but I'm guessing he was referring to a combination of personality and inventiveness which he felt was lacking.

That's fucking hillarious.

Here we are, writing paragraphs maybe even pages, on this album, and a 16 year old fucking nails it in one line.

'Sounds like it has been written by A.I.' wins the review of the week.

Interesting. I would support his views to some extent because trying to see it from a 16 year-old's point-of-view, I can see where he's coming from.

I don't think there's anything particularly inventive on this Seger album - which would be guaranteed to bore younger listeners - and given that it's the Greatest Hits album of a "Heartland Rocker", I was surprised by the lack of guitar on it. The best bits are the keyboard, but they are few and far between.

Something I meant to say in my review was that the dominant sound of this album is Bob singing his heart out ably supported by his backing singers. I need more instruments and I can imagine your son feeling the same way.

Stick Tom Petty's Greatest Hits on and I'm sure he'd have a different reaction.
Which interestingly is what DLBH mentioned in his nomination critique - him and his wife belting out the lyrics when driving on holiday. This struck a real chord for me - we’ve had some great moments on holiday which always chime back to certain musical episodes particularly with the kids. The Offspring, System of a Down and Tenacious D (yes really!!) are real stand out family journeys set to music

That's fucking hillarious.

Here we are, writing paragraphs maybe even pages, on this album, and a 16 year old fucking nails it in one line.

'Sounds like it has been written by A.I.' wins the review of the week.
Assuming that the current level of technology that we have for AI now existed in the 70s, would it have been able to write these songs? Probably not.

But by the time this Greatest Hits was released in 1994, it would definitely have had enough material.

Which interestingly is what DLBH mentioned in his nomination critique - him and his wife belting out the lyrics when driving on holiday. This struck a real chord for me - we’ve had some great moments on holiday which always chime back to certain musical episodes particularly with the kids. The Offspring, System of a Down and Tenacious D (yes really!!) are real stand out family journeys set to music

All of which I would argue only had one good album a peice.

Bob Segar Greatest hits.
A decent start but nothing special with Roll me away and Night moves.
Can see where Marc Cohen and Hothouse Flowers got their ideas from.
Then all downhill after bar Hollywood nights.and Still the same.
Again nothing special though.
Not one i liked after though and for a greatest hits as poor as you can get.
Turn the page live really thought that was poor.
Remembered he did the original Rosalie so gave that a listen for the first time ever.
Thank fuck for Thin Lizzy.
Could have been a 4 but for a greatest hits and a poor Rosalie a 3.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.