The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

Check out 1978's "Stranger in Town". If that offering doesn't cut it in your appreciation of a single set of songs for that period, probably no other album will.

I was saving that note for my review, but we don't have time to wait for that.

The lack of some of his albums online is hindering my binary chop approach to working out where imo it all went a bit pear shaped for him but having now listened to Stranger In Town for me personally I'm guessing that it's closer to 1970 than 1978. I can hear a few virtues in Stranger in Town, but to your point I'm probably not going to find any album in that genre/period that does it for me, something that I've been thinking about.

The first music I really listened to was my big sisters stuff so it would have been stuff like the Hollies and the Herd and then just a bit later 10CC then in the earlyish 70s and very little rock other than what was played on the (much less fragmented than the US) UK radio network. I started displaying interests of my own and initially gravitated to a bit of glam rock but by the time we get to 1978 and Stranger In Town had I heard it then I would probably have denounced it as a crime against music because there was so much 'new' punk/new wave stuff emerging that was much more interesting to me. With the mellowing of age I would not be as vitriolic now as I would have been then but nonetheless my muscle memory from getting into music in the late 70s early 80's, and without any familial grounding in rock, means something like this is always going to struggle in my eyes.

There's hints of what's to come on Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. It's also an album of it's time. Very late 60's. And enjoyable for it.
You wouldn't get future Status Quo from Pictures of Matchstick Men would you?

IMO when they sacked off the psychedelia was when it all went wrong for Quo but their bank balances would resoundingly say otherwise.

I really don’t understand how you would figure that out, but crack on if it makes you happy
Well a few folks have already docked this a point for being a Greatest Hits record, and I did it to Thin Lizzy. GH/Live aren’t artistic statements — they’re money grabs, plain and simple (often by the record companies).

It’s kind of a relative score thing — it’s easier to make a Greatest Hits “great” song for song than a conventional studio record, so my view is that it’s not fair to compare scores of GH vs. a standard release.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.