The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

As I've previously said I struggled to listen to this as a whole album. As a collection of songs dropped randomly into a playlist of Americana and bluesy roots music I enjoyed the vast majority of them when they appeared. I suspect the reason I didn't enjoy them as much back to back was partly not wanting to listen to the vocal delivery for prolonged periods but also next to each other it began to have a 'busy' feel to it whereas separated out the individual songs were easier to appreciate.

At times it’s easy to make something like a lazy Jack White comparison but that’s just one of myriad of different reference points or influences at play and maybe too many at times. That said it's overall rootsy, slightly punky vibe worked well for me. There's nothing on there that I would skip if it it came up on autoplay and personnally didn't have a problem with more country infused tracks like Burdens/Beale Street. Lyrically it felt like there was supposed to be a theme but it comes out more stream of consciousness for me which again might be why I liked them more individually.

If I was being picky on the production side I think I’d have like a slightly muddier production for some of the songs such as Tied, despite this as one of my favourites, but that is purely personal preference rather than a criticism of the production itself.

Often, I’m not a fan of bands who sideline the bass but their sound is successful as they commit to it. They definitely give the impression that are doing what they want they want to do, not something that someone else thinks they should be doing. It feels like they have set out to make a bit of a racket in the best sense of the word and in that I think they have succeeded.

As I finish my last listen and am deciding what to score, autoplay has flicked up Wilco and BB so it's put me in a good mood. 7/10 and will be having a listen to some of their other albums too.
It's surprising how full their sound is without using a bass.

Also, I'm still not convinced there isn't a keyboard in parts of "Kiss It" but if there genuinely isn't, then they create incredible sounds from those guitars.

I have a couple of Wilco albums but not listened to their recent output. Who's BB?

AMERICAN MAN THE YAWPERS

LIke OB1 I was also previously recommended this album by Rob, but tbh I have that much to listen to I didn’t really give it much time.
Im glad that now I’ve been ‘forced’ to play it, it’s definitely up my street as a big Americana/roots music fan.I like the sound and the lead singers voice, he reminds me a bit of Zach Bryan on the slower songs.Lyrics are good and angst ridden.
I don’t get The Levellers or any English band comparisons but there’s definitely a bit of the DBTs and Lenny Skynyrd in there.
Favourite tracks ‘Doing it Right’ American Man’ Faith and Good Judgment’
and ‘9 to 5’
‘Beale Street ‘ reminds me of The Charlie Daniels Band.

A solid 8/10

It's surprising how full their sound is without using a bass.

Also, I'm still not convinced there isn't a keyboard in parts of "Kiss It" but if there genuinely isn't, then they create incredible sounds from those guitars.

I have a couple of Wilco albums but not listened to their recent output. Who's BB?

Yes, I think they pull it off very well my only reservation is on a couple of the tracks a bassline might allow it to be a bit less frenetic but as I've said that's clearly not what they are going for and I admire them for doing what they want to do.

I never ceased to be amazed the sounds people can get out of guitars and the fact they choose to do that given the myriad of other technological options. It's very cool when you hear something and think how did they do that? Adrian Belew springs to mind but it's all backfiring on me now as my pedal obsessed child keeps 'borrowing' money to feed his habit.

BB is Billy Brag who did the Mermaid Avenue stuff with Wilco. I fluctuate with Wilco but I think their last couple of albums have been pretty strong and the couple of things I've heard off the new album due out later this week make me quite hopeful it'll be pretty good.

Dare I say... one of Robs better picks! none of that Aussie guff or bland 90's stuff.

This is good blues/rock/folk.

Always intrigues me to hear comparisons to previous bands/artists - there's just so many here, most notably White Stripes then I'd say a dash of The Strokes, Springsteen and Drive-By Truckers. not a bad mix!

'American Man' has the released single feel , slow for a while before sound crashes in, liked this one alot and agree it differs from most of the rest.

folk joyous 'Beale Street' is good fun, same for 'Doing It Right' and '9 to 5' , 'Walter' and 'Kiss It' are loud verging on Iron Maiden sound.

Nothing here i would say blew me away, but each track is consistently good and as a album as a whole it worked.

7/10

An album that practices a lot of what Rob preaches. Good use of american 'roots' in their music, and a clear sense of identity. Good mix of bluesy/rock and country, and on the rougher side of both, making it, to me, somewhat more unique.

But what lets it down for me, length in small part, but mostly, the order. Talk about a prime example of how to mess up a good album by putting together good/decent songs in a bad order. Which is maybe why others have commented on splitting the album up or getting tired of it etc.

This was my experience of it. Good opening song, a good example of what is to come, but tame enough not to burn out straight away. Good i'm in the mood. Bang, three totally average dreary dragged out songs, to put me right off. Burdens is actually in itself a good song, but sandwiched between those two, gets lost. Nice intense ending to Tied, if you can hold your breath long enough. Then Brodie, a cracking track to get you back in the mood, good we are on again! Oh no, wait, a bit of dragged out drawl again. Then 9-5, where are we now don't know what to expect any more! Is it the start of sometging, or another trick? A bit of a filler showcase of guitar slides, distortion and that the guy can wail. Ok, call it slate wiped. Then for me comes the real heart of this album, and the best part of it in the next few songs. Walter, probably my favourite song on it, Beale Street, great use of a folk element while maintaining the rock feel, and Kiss It keeps the blues and intensity. 3AM, oh ffs, not this again. Just in time to take the momentum out of it towards the end, before a decent song in Desert, but a bit of an anticlimactic ending.

Generally though, enjoyed a lot of it. A few really good songs. And will explore more. And won't mind spotify throwing it into the mix here and there. Country is just not my thing, but it, for the most part did not put me off this and was used well and mixed with other elements. There was a lot of generic basic rock stuff too, hence the comparisons to so many different bands, but overall the mix made it interesting. A solid 7 which is fair given the divided feel I got out of it.

An album that practices a lot of what Rob preaches. Good use of american 'roots' in their music, and a clear sense of identity. Good mix of bluesy/rock and country, and on the rougher side of both, making it, to me, somewhat more unique.

But what lets it down for me, length in small part, but mostly, the order. Talk about a prime example of how to mess up a good album by putting together good/decent songs in a bad order. Which is maybe why others have commented on splitting the album up or getting tired of it etc.

This was my experience of it. Good opening song, a good example of what is to come, but tame enough not to burn out straight away. Good i'm in the mood. Bang, three totally average dreary dragged out songs, to put me right off. Burdens is actually in itself a good song, but sandwiched between those two, gets lost. Nice intense ending to Tied, if you can hold your breath long enough. Then Brodie, a cracking track to get you back in the mood, good we are on again! Oh no, wait, a bit of dragged out drawl again. Then 9-5, where are we now don't know what to expect any more! Is it the start of sometging, or another trick? A bit of a filler showcase of guitar slides, distortion and that the guy can wail. Ok, call it slate wiped. Then for me comes the real heart of this album, and the best part of it in the next few songs. Walter, probably my favourite song on it, Beale Street, great use of a folk element while maintaining the rock feel, and Kiss It keeps the blues and intensity. 3AM, oh ffs, not this again. Just in time to take the momentum out of it towards the end, before a decent song in Desert, but a bit of an anticlimactic ending.

Generally though, enjoyed a lot of it. A few really good songs. And will explore more. And won't mind spotify throwing it into the mix here and there. Country is just not my thing, but it, for the most part did not put me off this and was used well and mixed with other elements. There was a lot of generic basic rock stuff too, hence the comparisons to so many different bands, but overall the mix made it interesting. A solid 7 which is fair given the divided feel I got out of it.
I think the 2nd side is stronger than the first.

It's interesting how people like different music, but even on albums where there is a general consensus, people like and dislike different tracks within that. "Walter" - "Beale Street" - "Kiss It" is certainly a strong, dare I say kick-ass, run of songs. But Add to that "9 to 5" and "3 AM" are two of my favourites on the album. "9 to 5" has a great build and sense of unleashed fury when it hits its stride, and whilst you could certainly shave a minute of tuning-up out of "3AM", I love the lyrics and anthemic chrous.

But regardless of fast/slow, hard/soft, the sound of this album is three guys, one instrument each, making a hell of a sound. That's why I love it.

As for the "country" thing - it's funny because there was a quote I picked up for this that I put in my original write-up but axed it at the last minute because I wanted to see what people made of the sound without any pre-conceptions. Anyway, one review said that it sounded like the album Kurt Cobain would make if he had ever made a country album.

Whoops… nearly missed the deadline!!

This was a bit mixed for me some tracks I quite liked and could easily listen to again. Others left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Given that was 50/50 on the songs - Tied being a plus; Beale Street being a negative I gone for 6/10 as I found the slide really interesting.

Whoops… nearly missed the deadline!!

This was a bit mixed for me some tracks I quite liked and could easily listen to again. Others left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Given that was 50/50 on the songs - Tied being a plus; Beale Street being a negative I gone for 6/10 as I found the slide really interesting.
Gah! You've just knocked it out of the top 10! But of course points and positions in the table are a meaningless side effect of the discussion.

Gah! You've just knocked it out of the top 10! But of course points and positions in the table are a meaningless side effect of the discussion.
If I’d have known that…. ;)

Interesting your comment after my post if Kurt Cobain had done a country album. My initial post mentioned the country vibe and I think that was always a downer for me. Fair play for the giving welly aspect though they must be good to see live I doubt they play many seated venues!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.