The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Only time I've thought 'fuck I'm properly damaging my health here', was Motorhead at the Mayfair in the mid 80s. Only gig I've ever been too that physically hurt!

Motorhead at the Apollo and Motley Crue at the Nashvile Arena were the most painfully loud gigs I've attended.

I think Deep Purple at Knebworth may have set some sort of record for volume at the time but we were not close to the stage and it was outdoors so no pain.

I do use ear plugs at some gigs these days. Always try to remember to take them along.

I seem to remember at school it was a badge of honour to see a band and still have your ears ringing for at least 3 days after the event. Motörhead were always the main culprits for me. The smaller the venue the better the ringing… how foolish we were :)
It was always a bonus to be right at the front with your head practically in the speaker bins. I wonder if it’s possible to sue anyone for ear damage?!!

I seem to remember at school it was a badge of honour to see a band and still have your ears ringing for at least 3 days after the event. Motörhead were always the main culprits for me. The smaller the venue the better the ringing… how foolish we were :)
It was always a bonus to be right at the front with your head practically in the speaker bins. I wonder if it’s possible to sue anyone for ear damage?!!
Fingers crossed it lasts but my hearing is fine despite hundreds of rock gigs.

This is my first reply to this thread in being both new here and way behind in seeing/reading these reviews.

I’ve seen many stellar albums covered in this thread - from Jason Isbell's Southeastern, DBT's Southern Rock Opera (a personal labor of love made on the cheap!), The Maccabees, Oasis' the Masterplan, Bruce’s E Street Shuffle, and many others I've enjoyed reading up on this week.

This album came out when I was still only single digits old, and the past few days was my first listens to it from start to finish. They reminded me of Spinal Tap before that was even a thing 9 years later, and I’m not surprised from the link above they opened for Bowie. Very appropriate.

I knew of the Tubes from the early 80's with “Talk To Ya Later”, “Dancin’” from Xanadu, and especially "She's a Beauty" in my teenage years. The only song I recognized in advance here was “White Punks on Dope”.

As soon as this album ended on Spotify, it went straight to tracks I know very well from the Cars first 2 albums, Roxy Music, Donnie Iris’s “Ah! Leah!”, and early Joe Jackson. A few being more radio friendly offerings that just got more airplay outside of San Fran.

Track by Track thoughts below.

Up From the Deep – loved the opening: “San Francisco, here we go!” Had a Gabriel Genesis vibe to it. Prog/glam rock offering.

Haloes – a strong song I immediately liked, it reminded me of early 70’s Chicago when I first heard it, especially the vocal harmonies. A good rocking song, heavy guitar licks, a strong effort.

Space Baby – atmospheric mid-tempo song. Nice keyboards near the end, but not my favorite.

Malagueña Salerosa – the more I’ve listened to this, the more I like it. This one has grown on me the most. Loved the lyrics and tempo.

Mondo Bondage – reminded me of Led Zep’s Rock And Roll drum intro, heavy synths, a good funky number, perhaps inspired Spinal Tap’s “Big Bottom”?

What Do You Want from Life? – might be my favorite never heard song on the album, just on the strong lyrics alone. The song is really good, from start to finish. “A Las Vegas wedding, a Mexican divorce”

Boy Crazy – smart lyrics, but just didn’t like the song as much as others.

White Punks on Dope – from what I’ve seen online, this song was great to experience live. I remember hearing this on AOR radio in the late 70’s and early 80’s well after this album came out. Strong final track to end the album.

I’m rating The Tubes a 6/10 as a debut album. I can understand how this would mean much more to those who either saw them live or were teens who could relate to this when it came out. The Tubes from this album are a group I need to listen to more, and not just the songs I've been familiar with.

Last edited:
This is my first reply to this thread in being both new here and way behind in seeing/reading these reviews.

I’ve seen many stellar albums covered in this thread - from Jason Isbell's Southeastern, DBT's Southern Rock Opera (a personal labor of love made on the cheap!), The Macabees, Oasis' the Masterplan, Bruce’s E Street Shuffle, and many others I've enjoyed reading up on this week.

This album came out when I was still only single digits old, and the past few days was my first listens to it from start to finish. They reminded me of Spinal Tap before that was even a thing 9 years later, and I’m not surprised from the link above they opened for Bowie. Very appropriate.

I knew of the Tubes from the early 80's with “Talk To Ya Later”, “Dancin’” from Xanadu, and especially "She's a Beauty" in my teenage years. The only song I recognized in advance here was “White Punks on Dope”.

As soon as this album ended on Spotify, it went straight to tracks I know very well from the Cars first 2 albums, Roxy Music, Donnie Iris’s “Ah! Leah!”, and early Joe Jackson. A few being more radio friendly offerings that just got more airplay outside of San Fran.

Up From the Deep – loved the opening: “San Francisco, here we go!” Had a Gabriel Genesis vibe to it. Prog/glam rock offering.

Haloes – a strong song I immediately liked, it reminded me of early 70’s Chicago when I first heard it, especially the vocal harmonies. A good rocking song, heavy guitar licks, a strong effort.

Space Baby – atmospheric mid-tempo song. Nice keyboards near the end, but not my favorite.

Malagueña Salerosa – the more I’ve listened to this, the more I like it. This one has grown on me the most. Loved the lyrics and tempo.

Mondo Bondage – reminded me of Led Zep’s Rock And Roll drum intro, heavy synths, a good funky number, perhaps inspired Spinal Tap’s “Big Bottom”?

What Do You Want from Life? – might be my favorite never heard song on the album, just on the strong lyrics alone. The song is really good, from start to finish. “A Las Vegas wedding, a Mexican divorce”

White Punks on Dope – from what I’ve seen online, this song was great to experience live. I remember hearing this on AOR radio in the late 70’s and early 80’s well after this album came out. Strong final track to end the album.

I’m rating The Tubes a 6/10 as a debut album. I can understand how this would mean much more to those who either saw them live or were teens who could relate to this when it came out. The Tubes from this album are a group I need to listen to more, and not just the songs I've been familiar with.
Nice review mate.

I’ve seen many stellar albums covered in this thread - from Jason Isbell's Southeastern, DBT's Southern Rock Opera (a personal labor of love made on the cheap!), The Macabees, Oasis' the Masterplan, Bruce’s E Street Shuffle, and many others I've enjoyed reading up on this week.

Welcome in BWBMT! Nice to have you and great review!

Motorhead at the Apollo and Motley Crue at the Nashvile Arena were the most painfully loud gigs I've attended.
Friends of mine who saw them claimed Black Crowes was one of the loudest shows they've seen back in the 90's as an opening band.
I think Deep Purple at Knebworth may have set some sort of record for volume at the time but we were not close to the stage and it was outdoors so no pain.

I do use ear plugs at some gigs these days. Always try to remember to take them along.
Most shows I see these day are at small, intimate venues, so I use my ear plugs without question as I'm usually very close to the speakers. I will take them out from time to time to compare, and I find I can hear the music *just fine* with them in.

Glad I had them recently for front row DBT, mewithoutYou, Jason Isbell, Dawes, the Church, My Morning Jacket, etc...

Friends of mine who saw them claimed Black Crowes was one of the loudest shows they've seen back in the 90's as an opening band.

Most shows I see these day are at small, intimate venues, so I use my ear plugs without question as I'm usually very close to the speakers. I will take them out from time to time to compare, and I find I can hear the music *just fine* with them in.

Glad I had them recently for front row DBT, mewithoutYou, Jason Isbell, Dawes, the Church, My Morning Jacket, etc...
Interesting and reasonably varied array there.

There will definitely be stuff for you on this thread.

I'd not heard of The Tubes before and from looking at the sleeve art, I (wrongly) assumed it would be a proto-punk-rocky type band maybe something like the New York Dolls or something. I was expecting not to like it in all honesty, but I've been very pleasantly surprised with it.

The whole album has hints of lots of other bands in - Roxy Music, a touch of Zappa, a bit of punk, Sparks etc but with a lot of pop sensibility in too. Each song sounded like it belonged on the albums but was quite different in it's sound.

Overall, a really good pick and one I'll be coming back to again!

8/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.