The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

When people started reviewing this and mentioned the rocky horror show I was filled with mild trepidation because I've never 'got' it.

That trepidation was partly but not wholly justified. I thought the 10cc comparisons were interesting because I think of them as a great band but also one that could become a bit self-indulgent and a bit self-satisfied with their own cleverness and I felt that at times here too.

The first side got off to a bad start for me with the let's be a bit meta Up From The Deep. Then Haloes and Space Baby convinced me they knew what they were doing musically but could also make a 4 minute song sound like it had been going on for 8 minutes. Normally I'd quite like something like Maleguena but by now they were just beginning to wind me up.

However, I don't know if it was simply I'd got used to them but the second side perked things up considerably for me. Mondo Bondage wasn't trying to do too many things and then the strongest track imo What Do You Want which despite my reservations was successful in merging together quite a few things in what was a surprising enjoyable theatrical melange with a slightly distopian AOR feel to it. For some reason it put me in mind of something like a twisted version of The Love Boat! Boy Crazy and White Punks nearly tipped it over the rocky horror edge but just about avoided it.

So a mixed bag from my perspective, clearly talented but a bit alienating for me personally at times. I will happily listen to about half of it again. 6.5/10

Damn, I was going to use the word melange. Very appropriate for this album.

Short on time so I’ll bang my score in. I’ll go 7.5, a rare half point score from me.

I nearly scored higher but it would have been based on having seen them live a couple of times.

The Fatima Mansions still the biggest surprise for me in it was a very quirky and eclectic record that somehow held together and received a very high overall score. The scores are all secondary — I enjoy everything new because I learn and occasionally run into great stuff and even when not at least I’ve tried something new. Looking at the list other than my own picks there are only about a half dozen I already knew backwards and forwards and another dozen where I knew some but not all songs. The majority have been literally brand new or had maybe one song I knew.

I am the same, there have been a few revisited but many that I otherwise wouldn't have (possibly ever) listened to. In full at least.

As a side effect of that, my wife made a comment the other day, when spotify was auto-suggesting songs. She said for someone that hates Country, spotify sure thinks you like it with the stuff it puts forward here and there. I had to explain that my algorithm personality has been fucked by this thread on BM where predominantly middle aged english folk have an inexplicable love for southern american drawl!

I'll come back to this album soon, it has been hard finding time to listen to it, because of the type of album it is. I.e one that draws you in and you kind of have to stop what younare doing to take it all in.

As a side effect of that, my wife made a comment the other day, when spotify was auto-suggesting songs. She said for someone that hates Country, spotify sure thinks you like it with the stuff it puts forward here and there. I had to explain that my algorithm personality has been fucked by this thread on BM where predominantly middle aged english folk have an inexplicable love for southern american drawl!
That's funny. There's certainly some oddball stuff appearing in my auto-suggestions.

As a middle-aged English man, I think the lure of Americana/Australian music is that the vocals are a little different to the voices you hear everyday. In addition to the music sounding dull to me, I think that's why I go to town in laying into on stuff like Bowie, The Jam and <insert average British indie band name> - their voices are just too everyday and not interesting to me at all (with the odd exception).

This is not a middle-aged thing either - when I got into music, it only too me a year to 18 months to work out that I loved rock with a country/folk/blues edge.

The Tubes – The Tubes

When @FogBlueInSanFran says “If you dislike a tune, skip to the next, because it will be different”, he’s underselling this one. He could have said if you dislike the song, just give a few seconds because the song will be different in a couple of bars.

And now I’ve read one line further into his review, he pretty much said that as well!

That’s in a good way because he’s right, this album is never boring. And he's bang-on about the diverse instruments - is that a sitar in once “Up from the Deep” gets going?

In some ways, all of those changes make this a very difficult album to review. I like the way that it’s short on obvious choruses or middle-8s and bridges – in fact it’s closer to say that most of the album is a whole series of middle-8s strung together with a bit of guitar soloing here and there, and I don’t think there’s a song that outstays its welcome. Except perhaps for “White Punks on Dope”, which despite being the most well- known song from the album, felt a bit too ordinary, with it’s 1970s plinky-plonky piano, after everything that had preceded it.

Whilst saying that I loves all of those changes, it’s one of the songs with the most ordinary structure that I like best: “What Do You Want From Life?” is a catchy little number and the increasingly outlandish offerings from the guy doing the advertising voice at the end are in step with the playfulness of the album as a whole.

I enjoyed “Haloes”, “Mondo Bondage” and latin-style guitar on "Malagueña Salerosa". The voiceover on this track remined me of a Mexican/Spanish version of Swiss Tony from the Fast Show – I don’t know whether Foggy will get that reference, but it made me chuckle. I felt like the album ran out of steam for the last two tracks.

I don’t think that there’s anything that I’d call a classic song on here, but I think that with an album like this, that’s missing the point. It’s cohesive whilst existing in its own little world, and I was happy to just sit back and let all the madness flow through the speakers. 7/10.

Last edited:
That's this week's headline sorted!

Exactly what I thought when I was reading threespires' review.

I haven't checked back but it wouldn't surprise me if I Foggy had already used the word in his original write up.

The fact that it occurred to a number of us is probably reflective of the success The Tubes had in creating their own crazed little world.

I am surprised by the number of you who liked "What Do You Want From Life?", which is so very of its time (waterbeds, Paul Williams, fear of radiation from a microwave oven), but has always been one of my favo(u)rite Tubes' songs. I thought maybe it would be too Yankee niche (do any of you know who Randy Mantooth is?). But even without the breathless recitation of consumerist pursuits at the end, the music is great. And the question still stands. Personally, for me -- United's relegation and another five trebles!

For some reason it put me in mind of something like a twisted version of The Love Boat!
That really is spooky as I actually wrote that very thing down in my notes as I was listening. I did picture The Tubes performing on the deck of the boat or in Dannys Bar in Qunicy in the background.
Qunicy and Danny ending the episode with..."Thoise crazy kids"

That really is spooky as I actually wrote that very thing down in my notes as I was listening. I did picture The Tubes performing on the deck of the boat or in Dannys Bar in Qunicy in the background.
Qunicy and Danny ending the episode with..."Thoise crazy kids"

Haha, that's both quite weird and funny. As I was writing it I thought I doubt anyone will l have a clue wtf I'm on about, let alone be thinking the same. It's true though, it's got that vibe!

For such a short album, at just over 35 minutes, I find myself exhausted at the end of it! (in a good way). Another one to prove my long standing theory, that more complex albums need getting to know, to appreciate. You need to know the transitions are coming, be prepared for the progressions and what they lead to, only then can you really enjoy them imo.

I made a point before it was a rich album, and then reading up more on it, found out there are 7 cunts on it! No wonder it has so much going on.

A lot has been said in terms of comparisons, for me it is a bit of a mash of Zappa, Chicago, Wakeman, with undertones of Pink Floyd here and there. Controlled Chaos is a term that comes to mind. There are a fair few ideas and themes here, that get introduced, explored, binned, forgotten, and reinvented. Often all in the one song. It is all very theatrical. It is all technically masterful. It is a show, more than an album you 'listen' to.

I can't say I entirely enjoy it, in the conventional sense, but am also wowed by a lot of it. While for example on the last album, there was a clear line of what I liked and what I didnt, and I could spilt the songs almost by numbers, this one is completely different, and there is no logic to what I'm drawn to. Some songs I would expect to not like, but do (the fun of the mariachi set for example), and others that are probably less noticeable, like haloes, I also like.

No idea what number to put on it. Lets say 7, not based on the enjoyment but on the entertainment, skills, and the show of it all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.