The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

@threespires has done a fantastic job of advocating for this album and giving it much more context than I'd got from my first listen. If indeed the suggestion is true that that Mike Skinner is somehow "writing down" to inhabit the world of his protagonist then he is setting himself a tricky balancing act. I listened to a bit more of the Streets to test the comparison, it was pretty random selection though as chosen by Spotify "top tracks", around half of which came from this album which suggest, I think, that this is his most played or most popular piece of work.

For what it's worth I did think there was a higher level of sophistication on the tracks not from this album but that isn't really saying that much. He has musical moments where there is a snatch of melody or counterpoint (or whatever, what the fuck do I know) that is quite affecting. I don't know if this is even from the same musical genre as Kanye West but it's the only artist I can make a comparison to having been exposed to a fair bit of his work in the days I was ferrying my son back and to to University. West seemed capable of some sublime musical moments (although my favourite thing about listening to him was being able to say to my son, oh that's King Crimson he's sampling or that's Gil Scott-Heron or that's the Wombles (or whatever, what the fuck do I know).

Anyway we're coming to the nub. My initial response to this was about the nursery rhyme lyrics and that is a sweeping generalisation I make of all this hip-hop or rap or whatever the fuck it is. Sometimes it's clever wordplay but usually it's just finding as many words that rhyme as they can and then strangling the English language to get them at the end of the line. The Streets, whether it's this album or his other stuff fall into the same category.

Although, there were some phrases I thought, in my limited knowledge of the demographic being portrayed that I thought were pretty authentic and even made me laugh, well smile. Dry Your Eyes is to be fair a very good track, capturing as it does the shallow and transient heartbreak of so many young loves. Equally there were moments that made me cringe and one in particular, I can't remember which track, where I thought for a minute I was listening to a Flight of the Conchords pastiche.

First time I had it on my son was in the other room and we were agreeing amongst ourselves of the not very goodness of it. This was the country loving son though, not the older Kanye West fan. I asked him if he was familiar with the Streets and what he thought but it seems it's only black American rappers he identifies with (to be fair his musical tastes have expanded nicely but I still here some, erm, shite coming from his room).

How to score this. I do get that it's clever but would his audience know how clever it is? I'm guessing that threespires has given it more thought than his target audience who could probably quote all the sweary bits and emphasise with the drug references (of course I'm also being clever playing the part of a reactionary old fart here, me and my wife had to laugh at ourselves for falling into the "do they call that music" trap in reaction to something my older son was playing to psyche himself up for his football).

I think it's better than I first gave it credit for. But not much. Or it's a genre that I just don't get anything out of. I can't go higher than a 5

Chapeau for trying some of his other music for context and for some interesting tangential points.

On the subject of GS-H and West, I think the former turned the tables and sampled the latter at a later point in his career too; might have been done ironically though! A GS-H nomination has occurred to me, probably one of his early ones.

Now hang on boys. I said this was a hill I was prepared to die on and that's fine but I'm not taking a joint enterprise rap if Gornik or whoever decides to offer up Papua New Guinean Doom Metal or some such. I can hear it now, "it's not my fault m'lud, I was led astray by spires".

Anyway you seem to think I've plumbed the depths with this one, but I haven't yet shared my love of the Finnish variant of Schlager music; something for you all to look forward too. Though doubtless being the bunch of weirdos you lot clearly are, you'd prefer it to this ;-)
Any form of music would be a welcome relief after this selection ;)

A full day to go until changeover and out of the regulars, only Foggy to submit his review.

A quick note ahead of tomorrow: @GoatersLeftShin is busy in the day and so this week's clues/selection won't appear until tomorrow evening.

The point that I’m trying to make is that even though people may talk to each other like this on the street, there’s a phoniness to it that doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not necessary. Its just as bad as all those managers who can’t stop themselves with their three-letter acronyms and lose most of their audience along the way.

Some will call it evolution of the language, but I think that people have lost the art of communication, and it’s not something that I celebrate. But there is clearly an audience for this kind of thing, so I think it’s me in the minority.
I read that and had a flash back to my old man saying something similar to me. Going on about glottle stops, yoof culture, swearing & Americanisms...and he did indeed used to give me a clip round the ear (when you could still do such things without being reported to Social services) if I ever started to speak with a scouse accent. He was very protective of Ellesmere Port being Cheshire and not Merseyside, despite being a season ticket holder!

Anyway, to the matter at hand.
I did enjoy revisiting this choice, so once again a thank you to @threespires for that. I would always tend to revert to OPM if sticking The Streets on. It did take a few listens to get back into it and start to enjoy Mike's story and I did appreciate the journey he took us on. I perhaps found some of the "music" early in the journey abit jarring but I felt it got better, the story transcending some of the issues with it.
I agreed with much of what @journolud posted but thought that the concept and delivery were slightly better than "nursery rhyme". I did see a certain similarity with Dr JCC and wonder if Mr Skinner could stick a beat on and cover "Twat"?
So I did like the journey, the rise and fall of young love. The naive excitement of "Could Well Be In", the the anxious wait for the high of "Blinded By The Lights", the sillyness of "Fit But You Know It" and pain of "Dry Your Eyes". I do wonder whether I thought the album better when I was in my 30s than I do now in my 50s...turning into my dad/@RobMCFC!
After all the journey and a wife complaining about me making her listen to this all the way to Omagh & back this morning its a 6.5 from the Derry jury

interestingly some 7 years ago :)

Weirdly enough when I made my observation about accents it was with a number of Scottish acts in mind, quite a diverse bunch from the likes of Arab Strap to Eddie Reader, and specifically how I quite like the rolling of the r around the tongue. Like you say it hammers home the obvious but sometimes forgotten point that the voice is at one level simply another instrument.

Thinking about it, maybe not that surprising I thought of Scottish acts given the rich history of mouth music there.

Edit: completely forgot to say, double like for prosody.

Just back on this, and using accents/pronunciation as musical effects, have a listen to Twilight Sad's songs The Room (the song where it kinda finally clicked for me), and then I Can Give All That You don't Want, to see what I mean. He must have been cramming in as many words with an R for that. But then inagine the same in, let's say Bon Jovi's accent, would sound a different song imo.

I read that and had a flash back to my old man saying something similar to me. Going on about glottle stops, yoof culture, swearing & Americanisms...and he did indeed used to give me a clip round the ear (when you could still do such things without being reported to Social services) if I ever started to speak with a scouse accent. He was very protective of Ellesmere Port being Cheshire and not Merseyside, despite being a season ticket holder!

Anyway, to the matter at hand.
I did enjoy revisiting this choice, so once again a thank you to @threespires for that. I would always tend to revert to OPM if sticking The Streets on. It did take a few listens to get back into it and start to enjoy Mike's story and I did appreciate the journey he took us on. I perhaps found some of the "music" early in the journey abit jarring but I felt it got better, the story transcending some of the issues with it.
I agreed with much of what @journolud posted but thought that the concept and delivery were slightly better than "nursery rhyme". I did see a certain similarity with Dr JCC and wonder if Mr Skinner could stick a beat on and cover "Twat"?
So I did like the journey, the rise and fall of young love. The naive excitement of "Could Well Be In", the the anxious wait for the high of "Blinded By The Lights", the sillyness of "Fit But You Know It" and pain of "Dry Your Eyes". I do wonder whether I thought the album better when I was in my 30s than I do now in my 50s...turning into my dad/@RobMCFC!
After all the journey and a wife complaining about me making her listen to this all the way to Omagh & back this morning its a 6.5 from the Derry jury
Apologies, young man. I said all the regulars (except Foggy) had their votes in but you are of course a regular now.

I re-organised the spreadsheet so the regulars were at the top ..... and then you joined in about a week later!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.